X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Graphical User Interface. The 'windows' you click around on to open, close, save, etc.

Before the GUI, Brent, it was DOS or other similar stuff - command lines/nerdery needed to operate computers.

Thanks to contract terms negotiated by Jobs, Apple indirectly ripped the GUI concept from Xerox right around 1980 - predominately by stealing subject matter experts. The rest is history.
    Gotcha. So instead of typing a bunch of code/words, you just click on a thing. Right? (serious; never got into the technical stuff). Although, FTR, had to take DOS class in college, and I wondered why, since Windows was emerging as the bestest thing that ever happened.

Overall: unless you want to get into coding, why the hell would you have to (as be required to) take DOS, given the changes that were happening at the time?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I still use command prompts today
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        No idea what GUI is. But IBM did act arrogantly, and it was their downfall in the PC market. Compaq, well, it's just like every "Behind The Music" ep one might have seen, although not as controversial. They could not keep the magic that made them special.
        IBM's problem was that they let Microsoft license DOS to everyone instead of getting it exclusively. Over time it was easy for others to combine an Intel chip and DOS and do the packaging themselves, so IBM didn't have much of a moat that made them special.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I still use command prompts today
          You're more computer-based in your work, though, right? I could see that.

French: they went opposite Sony then, where Sony (c) everything, so NO one had it, and the technology basically died (think: mini-disc). Am I understanding that correctly?
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

No. I just know how to use computers.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

You're more computer-based in your work, though, right? I could see that.

French: they went opposite Sony then, where Sony (c) everything, so NO one had it, and the technology basically died (think: mini-disc). Am I understanding that correctly?
              MS wanted DOS everywhere. So they licensed out their OS to everyone for cheap when it was included as the pre-loaded OS (operating system) for a computer. So long as the manufacturers could find someone to sell them the components, it was easy enough to start churning out end product. It just came down to whether you wanted cheap prices with cheap quality or expensive prices with expected long-lasting quality. IBM banked on the high-price method, which soon relegated them to corporate customers, almost exclusively. Eventually IBM spun off its hardware arm of the company, and there's when Lenovo came into being.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

No. I just know how to use computers.
                Um, also know how to use computers, but unless I was working specifically with DOS/related, why would I need to learn DOS? All the programs I use are basically point and click. No commands necessary, in the DOS-type format.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  MS wanted DOS everywhere. So they licensed out their OS to everyone for cheap when it was included as the pre-loaded OS (operating system) for a computer. So long as the manufacturers could find someone to sell them the components, it was easy enough to start churning out end product. It just came down to whether you wanted cheap prices with cheap quality or expensive prices with expected long-lasting quality. IBM banked on the high-price method, which soon relegated them to corporate customers, almost exclusively. Eventually IBM spun off its hardware arm of the company, and there's when Lenovo came into being.
                  I know the terms (OS and such). But I've long forgotten command codes. Don't need them for anything I do at work or at home.

Comment

Um, also know how to use computers, but unless I was working specifically with DOS/related, why would I need to learn DOS? All the programs I use are basically point and click. No commands necessary, in the DOS-type format.
                    Dude, just don't. There's a time to know how to run a simple IPCONFIG, and what that command will get you.

Most people who "use" computers don't really use but a small fraction of their capacity. That's half the reason tablets and smart phones have taken off in popularity. I'm leading unskilled application testers through our Windows 10 upgrade project, and I see what the average computer user looks like when taken even the slightest bit out of their element.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Dude, just don't. There's a time to know how to run a simple IPCONFIG, and what that command will get you.

Most people who "use" computers don't really use but a small fraction of their capacity. That's half the reason tablets and smart phones have taken off in popularity. I'm leading unskilled application testers through our Windows 10 upgrade project, and I see what the average computer user looks like when taken even the slightest bit out of their element.
                      I know I use a small fraction of their capacity. Just like we ALL use a very small fraction of the actual internet. But to say that I don't know how to use a computer....that's just insulting.

Comment

I know I use a small fraction of their capacity. Just like we ALL use a very small fraction of the actual internet. But to say that I don't know how to use a computer....that's just insulting.
                        Insulting or not....

Comment

Because it's a useful tool.

I can't believe I'm going to say this. Until you're an IT guy and admin for an entire company, you're just a user.
                          Code:

Comment

I can't believe I'm going to say this. Until you're an IT guy and admin for an entire company, you're just a user.
                            I wholly agree with that. And that actually adds to my point. If I'm just a user (and I am), why would I need to learn DOS?

Comment

Gotcha. So instead of typing a bunch of code/words, you just click on a thing. Right? (serious; never got into the technical stuff). Although, FTR, had to take DOS class in college, and I wondered why, since Windows was emerging as the bestest thing that ever happened.

Overall: unless you want to get into coding, why the hell would you have to (as be required to) take DOS, given the changes that were happening at the time?
                              Techies (the general kind, not necessarily the MTU kind) still use command prompts, although it is slowly becoming obsolete as applications continue to move to "the cloud".

IIRC, it was 2013 and I decided I wanted to try and go back to my programmer life. So, my team hooked me up with their IRC chat module, and taught me Linux command prompts (all done in a black-and-white command window). That lasted all of 4 months before I decided, "You know, this requirements gathering thing is fine...thanks."
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-25-2017, 11:48 PM.

Comment

This. It's not just using 10%, it's knowing how to actually do things. I know I'm just an advanced user. I used to b the server and domain admin at my old company. I had to deploy entire servers and distributed applications there during the Great Recession just to keep getting a paycheck.

At my current job, I'm the first line for most of my department. Which is pathetic because I don't consider myself anything more than an advanced user. The vast, vast majority of people don't even und Ratana's a simple set of IPCONFIG commands, which is the difference between them, "I can't connect to the internet" and me, "sigh"
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X