X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I enjoyed Brosnan's Bonds.
    I read somewhere that they wanted Brosnan right after Moore, but he could not get released from his contract with Remington Steele. Now, that younger Brosnan would have made a great Bond.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      I read somewhere that they wanted Brosnan right after Moore, but he could not get released from his contract with Remington Steele. Now, that younger Brosnan would have made a great Bond.
      Yep, I had a female college friend who was very disappointed they didn't get Brosnan in his prime. But I picture Bond as Forever 40. Moore was Decrepit Bond. Dalton, who I love in his theater work, was also badly miscast as Sensitive Bond.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dalton simply had zero charisma in that role. Brosnan had all of it.

I remember the Remington Steele issue although I suspect if enough money had been tossed about they could have found a way to film both roles given network TV doesn't require that much time throughout the year.

If he's not too old I've always thought Jude Law would make a fine edition. If hair color isn't a nonplus I'd vote Cumberbatch although at first glance I know I'd be in the minority on that.

Speaking of which, I know part of the allure of the Bond character is that we know next to nothing about his younger life, but I wouldn't hate the idea of "prequels" that cover perhaps his entry into the MI6 program etc.
        Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-25-2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

The network wasnt going to allow him to do both they only wanted him doing RS. I have seen him interviewed about it.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            The network wasnt going to allow him to do both they only wanted him doing RS. I have seen him interviewed about it.
            I think you're correct on that irrc. You'd think it would have only boosted the show but...

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Which was incredibly foolish of the network.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I think you're correct on that irrc. You'd think it would have only boosted the show but...
                It has been a while, but iirc the show was actually about to be cancelled (which is why he signed to be Bond) but then at literally the last second it was renewed again and they didnt want him splitting time or risk him jumping ship.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Every time I see Pierce Brosnan in anything I have to fight the urge to body slam him and break his glasses. I don't know what it is about him, maybe he seems like a shallow and unlikable person who played lacrosse in high school because all the cool kids were playing lacrosse. But he kind of ruined the Bond character for me.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Dalton simply had zero charisma in that role. Brosnan had all of it.
                    If you want to see Dalton with charisma watch The Lion in Winter. In a movie that has Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole AND Anthony Hopkins, it's Dalton and (the incomparably* beautiful) Jane Merrow who steal the show.

* Well. Nearly.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      (other than maybe Lazenby, who most people have never heard of)..
                      George did get Diana Rigg as his bond girl, so he's the luckiest. then 2nd place would be dalton who had Carey Lowell AND Talisa Soto in the same movie... which just isn't fair!!!!

there was a twitter story about a guy meeting roger moore in an airport when he was 7 that is so good it is almost made up.

and mookie can't think of roger moore without saying his name like the commercial director in lost in translation. that scene with bill murray being told to 'do' james bond makes him laugh out loud.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        George did get Diana Rigg as his bond girl, so he's the luckiest.
                        True dat. Diana Rigg > all the other Bond girls combined. That's why she got a ring and the others just got his jimmy junior.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 05-25-2017, 03:44 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

I plan to watch Wonder Woman, although not in theaters. I can wait. Curious to see how they do it.

Silicon Cowboys:
                          Documentary on the meteoric rise of Compaq computers in the 1980's, and how they basically took on 3M. Really informative, rather entertaining. They really didn't know exactly what they were doing at first, which makes their success even more amazing.

The Guard:
                          An FBI agent travels to Ireland, chasing international drug dealers, runs into a small-town cop, who does his best to needle the FBI agent so the cop can get on with his life. A low-key buddy-cop movie, compared to what the US puts out, but very good. Some very funny lines in there.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Silicon Cowboys:
                            Documentary on the meteoric rise of Compaq computers in the 1980's, and how they basically took on 3M. Really informative, rather entertaining. They really didn't know exactly what they were doing at first, which makes their success even more amazing.
                            Still, the biggest losers in the PC/GUI world are Xerox and IBM. Adapt to the mantra of "a computer in every home", with a GUI, and they would've likely ruled the world through 2000-2005.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Still, the biggest losers in the PC/GUI world are Xerox and IBM. Adapt to the mantra of "a computer in every home", with a GUI, and they would've likely ruled the world through 2000-2005.
                              No idea what GUI is. But IBM did act arrogantly, and it was their downfall in the PC market. Compaq, well, it's just like every "Behind The Music" ep one might have seen, although not as controversial. They could not keep the magic that made them special.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                No idea what GUI is. But IBM did act arrogantly, and it was their downfall in the PC market. Compaq, well, it's just like every "Behind The Music" ep one might have seen, although not as controversial. They could not keep the magic that made them special.
                                Graphical User Interface. The 'windows' you click around on to open, close, save, etc.

Before the GUI, Brent, it was DOS or other similar stuff - command lines/nerdery needed to operate computers.

Thanks to contract terms negotiated by Jobs, Apple indirectly ripped the GUI concept from Xerox right around 1980 - predominately by stealing subject matter experts. The rest is history.

Comment

Working...
                                X