X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Absolutely. Pay a matinee price and go in with no expectations as we did. I wouldn't buy it on DVD and it won't make anyone's, "Top xx" list but don't take it too seriously and have fun.
    I'd just Netflix it, but thank you for the review.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

So I started watching Rogue One early last weekend but fell asleep about 30 in. Tell me it gets better because I was bored out of my freakin' mind.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        So I started watching Rogue One early last weekend but fell asleep about 30 in. Tell me it gets better because I was bored out of my freakin' mind.
        Any randomly selected 30 minute stretch of the movie stands as a representative sample of the entire movie. I liked it, but after Episode 1 I'm so battered I'd give The Departed a thumbs up.

You also shouldn't be up at 2 am on a work day. Or 1 or whatever it is in those fake non-EST timezones.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It does...but not enough for me to really like the film. It becomes apparent about 15-20 minutes later what the changes they made were and where the script got Frankensteined together. The plot makes zero sense but some of the fighting is real cool.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

It's a slower boil than most SW movies (but still better written and acted than E1 or E2 *gag*). I enjoyed it, but I don't know as that it will hold up to repeat viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Any randomly selected 30 minute stretch of the movie stands as a representative sample of the entire movie. I liked it, but after Episode 1 I'm so battered I'd give The Departed a thumbs up.

You also shouldn't be up at 2 am on a work day. Or 1 or whatever it is in those fake non-EST timezones.
              I go through bouts of insomnia. Sleep aids scare the pizz out of me.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              It does...but not enough for me to really like the film. It becomes apparent about 15-20 minutes later what the changes they made were and where the script got Frankensteined together. The plot makes zero sense but some of the fighting is real cool.
              That's exactly what I thought. It's horribly fragmented and the plot line looks like Muhammad Ali drew it.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              It's a slower boil than most SW movies (but still better written and acted than E1 or E2 *gag*). I enjoyed it, but I don't know as that it will hold up to repeat viewing.
              Probably poorly. The characters are all AWFUL. And if I see Forrest Whitaker in one more movie before I die. It will be too much. I know a lot of people like him, but I really can't stand him. It's been a slow decline of my opinion of him.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Jules And Delores:

Brazilian comedy based on the theft of the Jules Rimet soccer trophy (World Cup) in 1983. It's quirky, and it's very loosely based (basically, the theft and theoried result of what happened to the trophy in real life are the only "facts"). It's a toss-up whether to watch this one or not. I liked it, but it's nothing special at all.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Ok. I'm glad I finished it. Totally pivoted like you said handy.

The last 45 or so were actually pretty good. The way they killed everyone off didn't upset me at all like it did with the departed. Spoiler alert. I thought the deaths of a lot of the characters were well done. Some not so much.. But for the most part, it felt authentic by the end.
                  Code:

Comment

I liked it, and agree on the deaths. That being said, it IS a "bonus" movie of sorts as related to the main movies, so I didn't have that many expectations going into it. Same with all the other "bonus" movies that they are doing. FTR, I'm not into all the books/cartoons/etc like some on here, so I'd expect their opinions to maybe be a little more harsh and/or detailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      I liked it, and agree on the deaths. That being said, it IS a "bonus" movie of sorts as related to the main movies, so I didn't have that many expectations going into it. Same with all the other "bonus" movies that they are doing. FTR, I'm not into all the books/cartoons/etc like some on here, so I'd expect their opinions to maybe be a little more harsh and/or detailed.
                      Most of the old books were, more or less, wiped from history by Disney. People need to let go of those old books, and realize that the movies and the few books they've since released are the story now.

The movie actually reminded me of a book they released to accompany one of the games. I've not played the game, but the book was a fun, non-Jedi look at that universe regarding the grit and sacrifice of the unsung heroes of the rebellion.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Most of the old books were, more or less, wiped from history by Disney. People need to let go of those old books, and realize that the movies and the few books they've since released are the story now.

The movie actually reminded me of a book they released to accompany one of the games. I've not played the game, but the book was a fun, non-Jedi look at that universe regarding the grit and sacrifice of the unsung heroes of the rebellion.
                        Gotcha. Never got into those side-projects, even if they were regarded as canon. As a result, I cannot speak on those stories, background, etc. In that regard, I'd say I am generally average goombah mainstream fan of the SW movies.

Comment

Ok. I'm glad I finished it. Totally pivoted like you said handy.

The last 45 or so were actually pretty good. The way they killed everyone off didn't upset me at all like it did with the departed. Spoiler alert. I thought the deaths of a lot of the characters were well done. Some not so much.. But for the most part, it felt authentic by the end.
                          The movie came out last year you dont need to put spoilers. Plus it is a prequel to Episode 4 so everyone knows the characters are dead

The movie could have been great if they had put any real time into making the story make sense. Half of them were pretty pointless and a lot of the motivations were just bizarre. There were leaps in logic and just too many "***" like moments even for a Star Wars flick.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I don't care if it came out last year. I still try to hide the endings of movies just in case.

The first forty minutes were pointless.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

People dont need to let them go, they just need to realize they arent in canon...and in reality never were. (the only true canon is the movies no matter what LucasFilm said about TV shows and games and books) Pick and choose what you like and make your own canon.

I will say most of the books were better written than Rogue One was. The characters were fleshed out and they had a purpose and reason for what they are doing. Rogie One tried to Disney-fi the War of the Rebellion and it just didnt work. The original plan for the film was much better.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

See, I didn't get a Disney feeling at all.

What was the original plan?
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X