This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Brent - Schindler's List isn't Requiem like depressing. It's very moving and powerful to be certain, but it's not going to crush your soul and at its core is a story of inspiration and hope.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Tropic Thunder was friggin awesome. You don't know what you're talking about. It resurrected the careers of Tom Cruise and Matthew McConaughey
      It was awful. Outside of Cruise and McC the movie was utter trash. (and considering the cast that is saying something) I wanted to punch everyone else in the movie in the nuts and crush them with a ballpeen hammer...especially RDJ who was so terrible I wanted to shoot up his leftover heroin.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Brent - Schindler's List isn't Requiem like depressing. It's very moving and powerful to be certain, but it's not going to crush your soul and at its core is a story of inspiration and hope.
        Schindler's List is incredible, and your explanation is spot-on.

I don't shy away from the tough topics. I don't need a movie like it to remind me that something so terrible happened, but diving into those feelings willingly is good in my opinion. Any cause for some introspection is valuable. And of course,

Never again.

The "Why We Fight" episode of Band of Brothers. Dang.
        Last edited by state of hockey; 05-13-2017, 03:22 AM.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Schindler's List is incredible, and your explanation is spot-on.

I don't shy away from the tough topics. I don't need a movie like it to remind me that something so terrible happened, but diving into those feelings willingly is good in my opinion. Any cause for some introspection is valuable. And of course,

Never again.

The "Why We Fight" episode of Band of Brothers. Dang.
          I don't shy away from tough topics because they are tough topics. I do shy away from tough topics because of the weight of sadness that usually comes with them. For example, I still haven't seen anything 9-11 related. There are a couple of totally fictional movies that I've stumbled across that aren't even tough topics overall, but were so depressing it completely ruined my mood for the next day or two (heck, it's a big reason I haven't seen Leaving Las Vegas). Now, if I don't wanna watch LLV for that reason....how the heck would I watch stuff that actually happened?
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Manchester by the Sea is a masterpiece. That it didn't win best picture is a travesty.
            Affleck was great and worthy of Best Actor. The director was great and worthy of a win. But the movie was paint by numbers other than that. The very heavy impact was delivered by those two.

Very effective movie, but there must be 60 exactly like it in the 40s and early 50s (half of them starring Lana Turner and/or Kirk Douglas). It's a style that is out of fashion, which is why it is so striking today. It has none of the distancing Hollywood cleverness that the last 10 years of movies are sloshed over with. It has clean lines, which I love, but it's a fairly typical representative of that genre.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Affleck was great and worthy of Best Actor. The director was great and worthy of a win. But the movie was paint by numbers other than that. The very heavy impact was delivered by those two.

Very effective movie, but there must be 60 exactly like it in the 40s and early 50s (half of them starring Lana Turner and/or Kirk Douglas). It's a style that is out of fashion, which is why it is so striking today. It has none of the distancing Hollywood cleverness that the last 10 years of movies are sloshed over with. It has clean lines, which I love, but it's a fairly typical representative of that genre.
              There are so many movies where the actor/actress did a phenomenal job.........with what they had to work with. The aforementioned Killer Joe...Matt McC was brilliant. And frankly, most of the cast of Rock Of Ages were great, despite it being an absolute train wreck of an actual movie (and the movie is a guilty pleasure of mine, it's so horribly awesome, BECAUSE it's such a train wreck).
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Know Your Enemy - Japan (1945)

Propaganda movie from back in the day. Wow. From subtle jabs to straight-forward uppercuts to the Japs (sorry, I mean "Japanese," this is what I'm talking about), amazing documentary of sorts. Highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Know Your Enemy - Japan (1945)

Propaganda movie from back in the day. Wow. From subtle jabs to straight-forward uppercuts to the Japs (sorry, I mean "Japanese," this is what I'm talking about), amazing documentary of sorts. Highly recommend.
                  Listening to the radio plays on XM Sirius that were done during the war can be pretty nasty. Yes, the Japanese were a brutal regime, but there were many, many Japanese Americans who didn't need to hear that racist crap (I mean, if they had radios in the internment camps).
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Listening to the radio plays on XM Sirius that were done during the war can be pretty nasty. Yes, the Japanese were a brutal regime, but there were many, many Japanese Americans who didn't need to hear that racist crap (I mean, if they had radios in the internment camps).
                    My thoughts watching this were "we make fun of, and condemn, these types of things, yet here we are doing the same thing...."

Comment

After watching a 60 Minutes story about the last surviving prosecutor from the Nuremberg trials and I got to wondering if there are movies or documentaries anyone might recommend about them.
                      Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-14-2017, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        After watching a 60 Minutes story about the last surviving prosecutor from the Nuremberg trials and I got to wondering if there are movies or documentaries anyone might recommend about them.
                        Judgment at Nuremberg is the classic. Very good movie.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Go on Netflix and search for George Stevens. He did a film that was used as evidence in Nuremburg.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            My thoughts watching this were "we make fun of, and condemn, these types of things, yet here we are doing the same thing...."
                            Watch "Five Came Back" on Netflix. It discusses the Capra war films.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Watch "Five Came Back" on Netflix. It discusses the Capra war films.
                              That is on my list...

Comment

Judgment at Nuremberg is the classic. Very good movie.
                                There was a movie named Nuremburg as well with Alec Baldwin and Brian Cox...it isnt a classic or anything but it is pretty solid as well.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X