X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I get that, but the MU is compelling because for the first time we can do comic book movies in live action and have them cross over. The characters are also very compelling for the most part. There is an appeal to every demographic.

Wolfman, Invisibleman, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy... There isn't a compelling character in there. Too generic, too many men. etc.
    Well part of it is banking on the big stars. What they failed to notice is that outside of Mission Impossible Cruise movies dont do well domestically, Depp outside of POTC is pretty much a joke and Bardem cant carry a franchise. The days of big names carrying franchises is dying...

If done right any universe can be compelling but you dont start with The Mummy. I would start with Frankenstein and go from there. If a half baked Godzilla reboot can open a universe anything can you just need to find a reason to make people care.

The thing is though the movies need to stand on their own. The more you continuity creeps in the easier it is for people to ignore it if they dont connect from the outset.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

BTW Ron Howard is taking over Han Solo...I would bet money now the movie gets delayed because there is no way he is taking over just to finish the job.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        I don't get TFW hate. I loved it.
        I liked it, but it is almost the same $%(*$%* movie as ANH. Ergo, I understand the hate.

Comment

Watched God's Pocket last night. It's been criticized for being too cliche' but I liked it. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's last, I think, and it's always a pleasure seeing him at his work.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            BTW Ron Howard is taking over Han Solo...I would bet money now the movie gets delayed because there is no way he is taking over just to finish the job.
            Worried. I do not care for Opie Cunningham's work. He's too Spielsbergesque.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Worried. I do not care for Opie Cunningham's work.
              Some of his films are fantastic and some of them just suck.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Some of his films are fantastic and some of them just suck.
                He did direct the pilot episode of Genius, which was excellent.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Worried. I do not care for Opie Cunningham's work. He's too Spielsbergesque.
                  TBH, I rarely pay attention to directors, unless the name is Michael Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    The stand alone films will be relegated to the studios' smaller production arms, the traditional art-house studios that they acquired however many years prior.
                    Very strong, very glowing review of The Big Sick here.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      TBH, I rarely pay attention to directors, unless the name is Michael Bay.
                      JJ Abrams = mystery box = unnecessary hidden details simply for the sake of being hidden.
                      Michael Bay = enough said
                      Early Spielberg = generally entertaining fare.
                      Current Spielberg = trite sappy shiat. Almost parodying his former self.
                      Tarantino = gratuitous violence but often (though not always) with a point behind it.

Comment

• David Fincher = needing to take a cold shower then leave a night light on at bedtime after watching.
                        Martin Scorsese = long movie epics situated in New York.
                        Tim Burton = it doesn't matter what the story is, it's going to star Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter.
                        Last edited by aparch; 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          JJ Abrams = mystery box = unnecessary hidden details simply for the sake of being hidden.
                          Tarantino = gratuitous violence but often (though not always) with a point behind it.
                          David Lynch = "WTF?"

I love Tarantino. If his next movie or two really is his "last" one, I'll be sad (but cynical me thinks it isn't).

Comment

I really like Tarantino too, though I'm not sure why. A little (or lot) darkness appeals to me for some reason that probably only therapy can explain.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              M Night Shamalamadingdong = Non-sensical "wow, i'm sooooo clever" plot twist you can see coming from a mile away
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Watched God's Pocket last night. It's been criticized for being too cliche' but I liked it. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's last, I think, and it's always a pleasure seeing him at his work.
                                That movie made me want to kill myself. So depressing. Good, but depressing.

Black Snow:
                                Accused of killing his brother during adolescence, Salvador lives alone in the middle of Patagonia. Several decades later, his brother Marcos and his sister-in-law Laura, come to convince him to sell the lands they share by inheritance.

Argentinian movie, very dark drama. The ending.......hooboy. Definitely recommend if you can handle subtitles.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X