X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Having said that, has anyone watched any of the sequels? I'm assuming they aren't in on the joke of the original and are your standard horrific 'b's rated straight to DVD fare.
    I've never gone near them.

Supposedly a remake is also in Production Hell which is going to be the book as it was written to "restore the honor" of the original, but I don't think it's on anybody's priority list other than the type of people who backed those terrible Rand movies or those inane Left Behind movies.

We don't really need that now, though. American society has become as jaded, vicious and uncaring as Heinlein wanted.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

An ironic masterpiece; it never breaks character once. "It's afraid!" (outburst of cheering)

I've always felt that it breaks character at the very end - last 5-10 minutes.

When I first saw it, I assumed that they thought they were making a legit sci-fi film and then realized what they had and changed the tone of the last bit to say, "Hey, we were joking all along."

Maybe that wasn't their intention, but there is a change in mood during that last bit.

A wink, of sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        I've always felt that it breaks character at the very end - last 5-10 minutes.

When I first saw it, I assumed that they thought they were making a legit sci-fi film and then realized what they had and changed the tone of the last bit to say, "Hey, we were joking all along."

Maybe that wasn't their intention, but there is a change in mood during that last bit.

A wink, of sorts.
        The only time I thought that was the "do your part" segment with the children all gleefully stamping on the bugs. They could have dimmed that down a lot.

For instance, the brilliance of noting that humans were probably the original aggressor and then simply slapping it away with a right wing "kill 'em all!!!" snarl was pitch perfect. Or the aforementioned mind meld where the brain bug is feeling not malice but fear and the crazed, bloodthirsty response, the teacher's off-handed dismissal of democracy and the location of political legitimacy in the will of the people, or the casual viciousness of the regime's penalty system. Those were perfect images of the fascist mindset. They could be from the White House or the RNC convention these days.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Love Starship Troopers!

Caught the start of Dazed and Confused and got sucked in. Haven't seen it since it came out and don't remember liking it all that much.

LOVED it tonight.

And it's really about nothing.
          Actually, it's about the 70's.

Anyone who didn't live through them, who wasn't of that age then, might ask, were the 70's really like that? As someone who was Mitch's age when this film takes place, all I can say is, absolutely. My high school years were so much like that, it's incredible. It's like Linklater went to my high school.
          Last edited by rufus; 07-21-2017, 04:01 PM.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            Actually, it's about the 70's.

Anyone who didn't live through them, who wasn't of that age then, might ask, were the 70's really like that? As someone who was Mitch's age when this film takes place, all I can say is, absolutely. My high school years were so much like that, it's incredible. It's like Linklater went to my high school.

I meant there's not much of a plot line.

I'm a bit younger, but I remember the 70s quite well.

Comment

I meant there's not much of a plot line.

I'm a bit younger, but I remember the 70s quite well.
              Sure there is. Kids get out of school for the summer, party. A story as old as time itself.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                Sure there is. Kids get out of school for the summer, party. A story as old as time itself.

Doesn't make it a plot.

And that story is applicable to every generation - which is why I identify with it so strongly and it made me a bit melancholy.

Anyway...

Watched Pearl Harbor for the first time tonight. Caught it just a few minutes before the attack and don't believe I missed anything important.

Pretty incredible portrayal of the battle and aftermath.

The Doolittle raid portion wasn't necessary, but whatever.

Cheesy love triangle too.

Having HBO coz GoT is dangerous as I get sucked into movies I probably wouldn't otherwise watch.

Comment

As God is my witness, Spider Man: Homecoming was really good.
                  Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    As God is my witness, Spider Man: Homecoming was really good.
                    So it wasn't a turkey?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      So it wasn't a turkey?
                      *golfclap*

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Dunkirk. It was excellent. I don't want to say too much because it just follows the real timeline of events. It's not like you're going to be surprised by anything if you know even a little about the history of the evacuation of Dunkirk during WWII, but Nolan wove in a couple plot points. Kenneth Branagh was really good as the rear admiral orchestrating the evac. His part wasn't overly indulged in terms of screen time, but he performed his roll really well.

There's also a simple device/trick that Nolan uses in the movie to help pull the audience into the events. It's almost imperceptible through most of the movie, and could border of being overused in a couple spots, but I thought it very effective and building up the earnest feeling he wanted to draw from you.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The Batman Lego movie:

Holy crap that was awesome. Great movie on its own, the references within....might have had to catch my breath a few times, I was laughing so hard.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sorry if this is old news, but 2019 will see the release of Bond 25 with Craig as its leading man. I thought he was done, to be honest.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Sorry if this is old news, but 2019 will see the release of Bond 25 with Craig as its leading man. I thought he was done, to be honest.
                              You send any actor a blank check, and 9 times out of 10, he's going to take the job. Money talks.

"You expect me to walk?"

"No, Mr. Craig...we expect you to sign!"

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                "You expect me to walk?"

"No, Mr. Craig...we expect you to sign!"
                                Very nice.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X