Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I dont think he will...the movie completely bombed in the States and even WW it didnt do that great.
    That's a bummer. Even though these prequels could have been tightened up a bit (better character development etc)they've offered An opportunity to answer some great philosophical questions within that universe.

I hope THIS comes to fruition: http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/amp/alien-awakening---ridley-scott-confirms-engineers-return-alien-covenant-sequel
    Last edited by solovsfett; 09-05-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    That was a masterful piece of editing.
    That was amazing.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    That's a bummer. Even though these prequels could have been tightened up a bit (better character development etc)they've offered An opportunity to answer some great philosophical questions within that universe.

I hope THIS comes to fruition: http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/a...ovenant-sequel
    The problem is Ridley had too much power. No one wanted to argue with him cause he is Ridley Scott. What everyone forgot is Ridley Scott hasnt exactly been setting the world on fire lately.

Prometheus was good but it should have been great. Scott seemed like he had good ideas but never really followed through with any of them. It ended up being disjointed...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

The problem is Ridley had too much power. No one wanted to argue with him cause he is Ridley Scott. What everyone forgot is Ridley Scott hasnt exactly been setting the world on fire lately.

Prometheus was good but it should have been great. Scott seemed like he had good ideas but never really followed through with any of them. It ended up being disjointed...
    True, sounds like Lucas and his prequels where everyone around him was simply cheerleading vs challenging him.

I think Scott's last big success was The Martian but I would think he's going to have to cast a couple of big stars and possibly hand over writing duties if he's going to be allowed to finish the Alien story and get us to the beginning of the original

True, sounds like Lucas and his prequels where everyone around him was simply cheerleading vs challenging him.
    To be fair, those scripts were beyond fixing.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Was it just Lucas getting high on his own supply (the Mike Myers Effect) or were there other reasons that led to turning the franchise into a gibbering tweens' toy marketing scam in 6 and 1-3?

Or was Lucas always an idiot, right from the beginning, and he just caught lightning in a bottle with Ep 4 and 5, or he had somebody behind the scenes who delivered the real quality who later got purged for challenging His ego?
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-06-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Was it just Lucas getting high on his own supply (the Mike Myers Effect) or were there other reasons that led to turning the franchise into a gibbering tweens' toy marketing scam in 6 and 1-3?

Or was Lucas always an idiot, right from the beginning, and he just caught lightning in a bottle with Ep 4 and 5, or he had somebody behind the scenes who delivered the real quality who later got purged for challenging His ego?
    All of the above I think. Great idea to combine Kurosawa with old westerns and eastern mysticism and swashbuckling buck rogers type action however, Lucas did have a foil with him and when Lucas booted Gary Kurtz things changed radically.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/star-wars-was-born-a-long-time-ago-but-not-all-that-far-far-away-in-1972-filmmakers-george-lucas-and-gary-kurtz-wer/amp/

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Also Lawrence Kasden who wrote Empire and Return.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Lucas' problem was he forgot his old philosophy...Special Effects are a tool to help the story they arent the story. The prequels were all flash and no real substance.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Whoa.

Unnamed sources are telling The Hollywood Reporter that the fight for distribution rights to the James Bond films just got two new contenders: Apple and Amazon. Up until now Warner Bros. have been in the lead with the best bid, but let’s be honest. Apple and Amazon have deeper pockets.

Two of the world’s biggest tech companies entering a bidding war for a franchise as iconic as James Bond is a big deal. If the reports are true, the long awaited shifting of Hollywood’s control over the movie business north to Silicon Valley could be unfolding before our eyes.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

The entire Comment stream is great on this.

There actually are genuinely witty and smart people out there.

About 1% of them.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

lubba wubba dub dub

It's tough to say on Lucas. There are quotes of him sounding completely sane, and knowing exactly what's needed to make a solid film that both told a real (simple) story and fascinated peoples' ideas surrounding space and mysticism. He knew that the special effects were key, but as Handy(?) stated before me, they were the tools to the ends, not the ends in and of themselves. Then there are other times, when he started in with the Special Edition releases where he said that he'd have done so much more with the special effects had the technology and budget been available to him back in 1976. Well, he got that budget, and you can see what he did to his otherwise great films (IV and V).

Also, he acknowledged that he didn't have the greatest ability at script writing when writing the story outline for Empire, so he brought in some help. Kasdan and Kirshner took a good story outline and made a fantastic movie from it. Then Lucas inserted himself deeper into Return of the Jedi, and out popped the Teddy Bear Jamboree and the unwillingness to kill Han even though it should've happened.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Berlin Syndrome:

A passionate one-night stand turns into a captive situation. The pieces were there, but never really held any suspense for me. Needed to polish it up a bit. Worth a time-kill, that's about it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's tough to say on Lucas. There are quotes of him sounding completely sane, and knowing exactly what's needed to make a solid film that both told a real (simple) story and fascinated peoples' ideas surrounding space and mysticism. He knew that the special effects were key, but as Handy(?) stated before me, they were the tools to the ends, not the ends in and of themselves. Then there are other times, when he started in with the Special Edition releases where he said that he'd have done so much more with the special effects had the technology and budget been available to him back in 1976. Well, he got that budget, and you can see what he did to his otherwise great films (IV and V).

Also, he acknowledged that he didn't have the greatest ability at script writing when writing the story outline for Empire, so he brought in some help. Kasdan and Kirshner took a good story outline and made a fantastic movie from it. Then Lucas inserted himself deeper into Return of the Jedi, and out popped the Teddy Bear Jamboree and the unwillingness to kill Han even though it should've happened.
    Well part of the problem with Jedi was that Spielberg was set to direct (and my guess is he would have played script doctor just like Kershner did on Empire) but the Directors Guild blocked him. Lucas was in a tiff because he didnt use opening credits on the previous two films which was a union violation so they blocked any DGA member from directing Jedi.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

lubba wubba dub dub

Well part of the problem with Jedi was that Spielberg was set to direct (and my guess is he would have played script doctor just like Kershner did on Empire) but the Directors Guild blocked him. Lucas was in a tiff because he didnt use opening credits on the previous two films which was a union violation so they blocked any DGA member from directing Jedi.
    I'd never heard of that before. What if the director thinks that the opening credits would harm the movie in some way, viewer experience or something? That seems like an arbitrary rule.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I'd never heard of that before. What if the director thinks that the opening credits would harm the movie in some way, viewer experience or something? That seems like an arbitrary rule.
    Nowadays it is no big deal but back then the rule was in place to make sure everyone involved with the film got proper credit. The DGA and WGA and SAG have some real strange rules...
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Rock of Ages. I had never seen it and now I wish I hadn't. Holy hell is it awful. If it was intended as satire I might give it a pass but as it stands oh em gee.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Rock of Ages. I had never seen it and now I wish I hadn't. Holy hell is it awful. If it was intended as satire I might give it a pass but as it stands oh em gee.
    It gives Road House a run for its money in how awesomely horrible it is. I love it for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    It's one of those movies that's always on so I have checked in for about five minutes here and there. My reaction is always the same: "oh Jack Black, you are better than this (click)." I have yet to see a single entertaining scene.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

lubba wubba dub dub

It's one of those movies that's always on so I have checked in for about five minutes here and there. My reaction is always the same: "oh Jack Black, you are better than this (click)." I have yet to see a single entertaining scene.
    I believe you're confusing School of Rock with Rock of Ages.

Thread Information