X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This says nothing about Citizen Kane and everything about you.

Here are my other guesses about genuinely brilliant movies that go over your head:

Vertigo. Too painterly for the bores.

Lawrence of Arabia. Too slow for the toddlers.

All About Eve. As I recall you don't even realize who gave the best performance in it.

And here are some which if you picked them you'd be right:

The Grapes of Wrath. Nails on a chalkboard for about 16 hours. The book is even worse.

The Birth of a Nation. Incredibly overrated. Boring and parody-worthy hamfisted.

Intolerance. I want to revise my #1 most overrated movie of all time -- this is it. Awful in every possible way.
    You are as wrong as your favorite President. I love Vertigo. Grapes of Wrath was a worse movie than book and the book was horrid

And I find it funny that you dare criticize someone for finding something boring that others love when you ranted like a twelve year old on Ritalin on the very same page. I will repeat what I said before, just because you have an opinion, and you believe it doesnt make you right Also, just because you love a movie and others dont doesnt mean they dont "get it". You arent brighter than someone just because you like a movie and found some hidden meaning in it...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Its not an older movie, it is a critical darling nowadays that every film snob (and wannabe snob who worships at the alter of Rottentomatoes) and Film School hopeful thinks is amazing.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I like Turtles.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Its not an older movie, it is a critical darling nowadays that every film snob (and wannabe snob who worships at the alter of Rottentomatoes) and Film School hopeful thinks is amazing.
          Wannabe film snobs ignore Rotten Tomatoes. The #4 movie of all time right now on Rotten Tomatoes is Get Out (6, but, come on...).

Wannabe film snobs worship at the altar of Film School Rejects.

I'm trying to think of recently lauded haute film examples that anger people who don't understand anything more complex than a claw hammer. Wes Anderson or the Coen Brothers, maybe?

O Brother, Where Art Thou (6) is incredibly overrated but I suspect you fell for it. You probably hated Inception (7) because it's oblique and you have that asinine Rousseauian "anything that can't be explained in 3 sentences is a stain on the clear soul of the common people" conceit. Oh god I'll bet The Artist (8) made you break out in a hate rash, too.

If it's Fight Club (9) you and I are going to have a problem.

Oh... or maybe The Matrix? (6) Look, here's the thing: every bit of it is derivative of a hundred better done SF stories, but it actually is the delivery mechanism that made the Great Unwashed aware of all those stories. No question, it is no better than a cromulent movie, but the underlying idea, even if it was stolen from a hundred uncredited stories, was a really good premise for a movie.

I'll give you that the best scene in the franchise isn't even in that movie -- it's the Architect in Reloaded (3).
          Last edited by Kepler; 08-23-2017, 03:47 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            I like Turtles.
            No movies.

http://www.imdb.com/find?q=I%20like%...f_=fn_al_tt_mr

Wrong thread.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Film-related, though.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Wannabe film snobs ignore Rotten Tomatoes. The #4 movie of all time right now on Rotten Tomatoes is Get Out.

Wannabe film snobs worship at the altar of Film School Rejects.

I'm trying to think of recently lauded haute film examples that anger people who don't understand anything more complex than a claw hammer. Wes Anderson or the Coen Brothers, maybe?

O Brother, Where Art Thou is incredibly overrated but I suspect you fell for it. You probably hated Inception because it's oblique and you have that asinine Rousseauian "anything that can't be explained in 3 sentences is a stain on the clear soul of the common people" conceit. Oh god I'll bet The Artist made you break out in a hate rash, too.

If it's Fight Club you and I are going to have a problem.
                Here I was thinking how much I liked Super Troopers.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Here I was thinking how much I liked Super Troopers.
                  Yeah, well it's no Space Camp.
                  Cornell University

Comment

I stopped reading when step brothers was on the list.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

All I care about is whether Sherlock Jr and His Girl Friday made he list.

Hilarious old movies. And I hate most old movies.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yeah, well it's no Space Camp.
                        Space Camp is amazing!

I thought O Brother was ok. Honestly I am not a big Coen Brothers fan though Raising Arizona rocks

Fight Club isnt the answer but I never got the hype for it. Again I liked it, but I have never felt the need to watch it a second time.

I like the Matrix a lot especially the first 2. If I watch #3 in a marathon I can deal with it. It is way better than a lot of other "3" films. (Superman, Spiderman, Godfather, Mission Impossible, X-Men...I could go on)

Here is my problem with a lot of movies that are loved by critics and Film School nerds...they have lots of blank staring at nothing with silence for way too ****ed long. (see also: lots of tv nowadays) I get why it is cool but it is soooooo overdone and sooooooooo overused.

Oh and Turtles rock!
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What Happened To Monday:

Set in the future, where there is a strict 1-child policy worldwide, a set of septuplets who live as one person try and survive life.

Very interesting twist on a cliched concept. Brings up a few issues you might not think about. And of course, in the future, there is surveillance everywhere, and checkpoints, etc.

I really liked it, even though the ending was a little bit of a letdown. The most interesting part of the movie was how they actually lived and dealt with everyday things. Definitely worth a watch, though.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Loft:

5 married men agree to rent a secret luxury loft for their extramarital affairs. Then a woman is murdered. With only 5 keys in existence....

SO many twists and turns and backstories. It was done fairly well, though. If you like trying to piece something together only to have it fall apart, this is for you.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              The Loft:

5 married men agree to rent a secret luxury loft for their extramarital affairs. Then a woman is murdered. With only 5 keys in existence....

SO many twists and turns and backstories. It was done fairly well, though. If you like trying to piece something together only to have it fall apart, this is for you.
                              I saw an ad for this and wondered if it was going to be decent. Is it streaming or disc?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                If you like trying to piece something together only to have it fall apart, this is for you.
                                It's for me. :-)

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it. I recommend The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club for this.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X