X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I believe you're confusing School of Rock with Rock of Ages.
    You're right, I am. :-)

I don't think I've ever heard of Rock of Ages.

Edit: Oh, f-ck, yes I have! I even saw it performed -- on a cruise ship.

It's hysterically bad-stupid-good and I fully agree with the Road House comparison.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      You're right, I am. :-)

I don't think I've ever heard of Rock of Ages.

Edit: Oh, f-ck, yes I have! I even saw it performed -- on a cruise ship.

It's hysterically bad-stupid-good and I fully agree with the Road House comparison.
      Rock of Ages was adapted to film from the play, IIRC. It's like someone looked at what happened with Grease and got everything wrong, from what I'm told. I've never seen the play.

Also, School of Rock was a huge hit. Most people seem to like it.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Rock of Ages was adapted to film from the play, IIRC. It's like someone looked at what happened with Grease and got everything wrong, from what I'm told. I've never seen the play.
        The play is definitely an attempt to transplant Grease to 80s hair bands. I think it is gloriously successful -- it is completely self-mocking. I don't know if that was lost in the film which I didn't even know had been made.

One of the best parts of the play was the cast were Disney types who typically have to slog around being The Handsome F-cking Prince or something. They're all hysterically over-the-top, every guy is spectacularly gay, so the love/sex scenes with the innocent-but-hot-but-good-but-naughty whatever lead girl are about as sincere as a televangelist. Also they tended to be very young silly / stupid actors, and a cruise ship aint exactly the Old Vic, so more often than not an air of deeply subversive anarchy prevailed, and a more or less delightful malice towards the fat old brood sow from Kansas in row G seat 12.

It was fun.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

All I know is Tom Cruise is in the movie...

And School of Rock is one of the few Jack Black films I like. I love him as a secondary character but as the star I find him awful.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            And School of Rock is one of the few Jack Black films I like. I love him as a secondary character but as the star I find him awful.
            mookie likes the movie
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

School of Rock is great fun and the wife and I watch it until the end every time if we find it while surfing. Jack Black is ok in small dosesonly and I thought he was solid in Shallow Hal.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                School of Rock is great fun and the wife and I watch it until the end every time if we find it while surfing. Jack Black is ok in small dosesonly and I thought he was solid in Shallow Hal.
                Here's a short dose of Black in "The Jackal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trDzqKKFD4
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                  Here's a short dose of Black in "The Jackal".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trDzqKKFD4
                  Only reason to watch that horrid film
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    I enjoyed his part in High Fidelity.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The first time I recall ever seeing Jack Black. He was awesome in this. And it's a good, stupid movie, lotta fun.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106233/...m_flmg_act_125

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T5HiXzMd6I

Mitchell: Chill, brah.
                      Augie: Did he just call you a piece of underwear?
                      Last edited by rufus; 09-08-2017, 02:43 PM.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        The first time I recall ever seeing Jack Black. He was awesome in this. And it's a good, stupid movie, lotta fun.

That movie rules!
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Airborne is a cinematic classic.

Mitchell Goosen: Mitchell Goosen at your service. I'm not from around here. What to tell. Don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Don't care. Just as long as I live near the beach and don't have to wear a tie. Then I'll be stylin'.

Augie: Stylin'? St-stylin'?

Mitchell Goosen: Let me tell you what stylin' is. The perfect session: A-Frame wave, ground swell, spittin' out salt water in your face, doing a little lip action move, a 360 without a bounce. I call it a Liquid Drano Wannabe Bullwinkle. I tell you no lie, my friends. It's a consciousness raiser.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Three Amigos! is some channel called "Charge." Fine with me.

Bartender: We don't have beer. Just tequila.
                            Ned Nederlander: What's tequila?
                            Bartender: Uh, it's like beer.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

mookie went to see the hitman's bodyguard today. felt like he saw Red 3
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                Airborne is a cinematic classic.

Mitchell Goosen: Mitchell Goosen at your service. I'm not from around here. What to tell. Don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Don't care. Just as long as I live near the beach and don't have to wear a tie. Then I'll be stylin'.

Augie: Stylin'? St-stylin'?

Mitchell Goosen: Let me tell you what stylin' is. The perfect session: A-Frame wave, ground swell, spittin' out salt water in your face, doing a little lip action move, a 360 without a bounce. I call it a Liquid Drano Wannabe Bullwinkle. I tell you no lie, my friends. It's a consciousness raiser.
                                Augie: What's consciousness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Ew6dhSQlI
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X