X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Augie: What's consciousness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Ew6dhSQlI
    One most bask in the glorious ninetiesness that is Airborne...
    https://youtu.be/SjE2MCpHgSI

Also it's Disney Channel cousin Brink!
    https://youtu.be/JVMsc3CZon4
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Colin trevorrow out as director of star wars 9.

Abrams and Rian Johnson are front runners to take over
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Finally saw Hidden Figures last night. Excellent!

Comment

It. Finally a movie that lives up to the hype and previews. Honestly I think Annabelle: Creation was a bit creepier and predictable overall, but It has more depth and character development and fully delivers the scare factor. Easily his best scary movie for me since perhaps Misery.

Comment

Boston Accent:

Sorry, meant "Gone Baby Gone." It was good, but **** if I wasn't laughing throughout the movie due to the Boston Accent spoof. Child kidnapping, twists and turns to the plot, moral dilemma, etc. Worth watching for sure.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

My wife and I saw Wind River this weekend. I thought it was surprisingly good.

I'll admit to being a Cormac McCarthy junkie, and Taylor Sheridan's other movies that he wrote (Sicario and Hell or High Water) seemed to me to have a little of that same McCarthy stark stoicism interrupted by extreme violence.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Sicario and Hell Or High Water were great.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Vincent N Roxxy:

A reserved loner rescues a woman from a killer (gang-related in some sort of way, it's obvious). Form a bond, then their violent pasts catch up with them. Cliched, worn out. Tried its best, you almost REALLY connect with the characters, then it decides: screw it, going more cliche and predictable with the ending. Meh.

Comment

Watched The Founder, then Miss Sloane on the plane yesterday.
                    Thought the Sloane movie had rover in mind as the lead character
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      then Miss Sloane on the plane yesterday.
                      Thought the Sloane movie had rover in mind as the lead character
                      Oh baloney.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The ESPN 30 For 30 documentary on the Washington Redskins replacement team was excellent. Some of the basic facts regarding the strike, the fielding of replacement teams, players crossing after just a game or so, etc..., I recalled. But there were a couple of nuggets in there of which I was unaware.

The other facet of it that I really enjoyed was the reaction of the people involved to the fact the replacement players (with very limited exceptions) did not receive Super Bowl rings. Of course the replacement players were disappointed. Jack Kent Cooke's response was obvious -- too expensive. Bobby Beathard manned up and admitted they absolutely should have received rings. Joe Gibbs uncharacteristically waffled all over the place, but then refused to answer.

But most interesting of all were the actual Redskins players who were understandably outraged at the scabs who took their jobs and ultimately assisted in the massive cave job by the union. Almost to a man their response was that the replacements made it possible to win the Super Bowl that year and they earned the rings.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          Almost to a man their response was that the replacements made it possible to win the Super Bowl that year and they earned the rings.
                          I think that makes perfect sense. They loathed the politics and economics of what the scabs did, but when the whistle blows it's about The Uniform. Same attitudes among cops or soldiers.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 09-13-2017, 01:36 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That isnt true...see how Baseball treated its scabs. The reason NFL Players support it is because their union is weak and have no real loyalty. Everyone knows sooner or later the NFLPA will cave because the superstars need their egos stroked.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              That isnt true...see how Baseball treated its scabs. The reason NFL Players support it is because their union is weak and have no real loyalty. Everyone knows sooner or later the NFLPA will cave because the superstars need their egos stroked.
                              I don't agree. Football players have a jarhead attitude like hockey players. Baseball players have a prima donna attitude like basketball players. Difference beasts.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You guys should watch the movie. I'm not sure Kepler is right on this one.

Part of the movie is about the machinations of Tex Schramm of the Cowboys, obviously huge rivals of the Redskins. Schramm had the idea of the replacement teams. He then had a secret plan to threaten the Cowboys players with loss of retirement annuities, which he had a contractual right to do, if they didn't cross the line and play. He expected, correctly so, that many of his players would cross and that the Cowboys would then have the advantage over other teams in terms of playoff position.

The Redskins, primarily through Gibbs, preached player unity. Gibbs told his players to go out together and come in together. He correctly foresaw that breaking ranks would drive a wedge within the team.

The Cowboys crossed, caving to Schramm's threats. But their team was horribly fractured and they lost to the Redskins replacements in the infamous final replacements game on MNF. The Redskins players out on strike were quite violent towards the scabs. They carried guns, and even broke windows in the buses transporting the scabs. I'm not sure, based upon what was shown in the movie, that the Redskins players were very happy with the scabs even once the strike was over. They were happy that they beat the hated Cowboys, but they were still pretty unhappy, especially when a couple of the scabs were kept on.

I think it's primarily been through the passage of time and the realization that those three wins directly resulted in Washington getting the playoff position they did that contributed mightily to the Super Bowl run.

Comment

Working...
                                X