X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies: New Ideas Welcome II Prequel Reboot

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    True, sounds like Lucas and his prequels where everyone around him was simply cheerleading vs challenging him.
    Was it just Lucas getting high on his own supply (the Mike Myers Effect) or were there other reasons that led to turning the franchise into a gibbering tweens' toy marketing scam in 6 and 1-3?

Or was Lucas always an idiot, right from the beginning, and he just caught lightning in a bottle with Ep 4 and 5, or he had somebody behind the scenes who delivered the real quality who later got purged for challenging His ego?
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-06-2017, 11:04 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Was it just Lucas getting high on his own supply (the Mike Myers Effect) or were there other reasons that led to turning the franchise into a gibbering tweens' toy marketing scam in 6 and 1-3?

Or was Lucas always an idiot, right from the beginning, and he just caught lightning in a bottle with Ep 4 and 5, or he had somebody behind the scenes who delivered the real quality who later got purged for challenging His ego?
      All of the above I think. Great idea to combine Kurosawa with old westerns and eastern mysticism and swashbuckling buck rogers type action however, Lucas did have a foil with him and when Lucas booted Gary Kurtz things changed radically.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/star-wars-was-born-a-long-time-ago-but-not-all-that-far-far-away-in-1972-filmmakers-george-lucas-and-gary-kurtz-wer/amp/
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Also Lawrence Kasden who wrote Empire and Return.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Lucas' problem was he forgot his old philosophy...Special Effects are a tool to help the story they arent the story. The prequels were all flash and no real substance.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Whoa.

Unnamed sources are telling The Hollywood Reporter that the fight for distribution rights to the James Bond films just got two new contenders: Apple and Amazon. Up until now Warner Bros. have been in the lead with the best bid, but let’s be honest. Apple and Amazon have deeper pockets.

Two of the world’s biggest tech companies entering a bidding war for a franchise as iconic as James Bond is a big deal. If the reports are true, the long awaited shifting of Hollywood’s control over the movie business north to Silicon Valley could be unfolding before our eyes.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The entire Comment stream is great on this.

There actually are genuinely witty and smart people out there.

About 1% of them.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

It's tough to say on Lucas. There are quotes of him sounding completely sane, and knowing exactly what's needed to make a solid film that both told a real (simple) story and fascinated peoples' ideas surrounding space and mysticism. He knew that the special effects were key, but as Handy(?) stated before me, they were the tools to the ends, not the ends in and of themselves. Then there are other times, when he started in with the Special Edition releases where he said that he'd have done so much more with the special effects had the technology and budget been available to him back in 1976. Well, he got that budget, and you can see what he did to his otherwise great films (IV and V).

Also, he acknowledged that he didn't have the greatest ability at script writing when writing the story outline for Empire, so he brought in some help. Kasdan and Kirshner took a good story outline and made a fantastic movie from it. Then Lucas inserted himself deeper into Return of the Jedi, and out popped the Teddy Bear Jamboree and the unwillingness to kill Han even though it should've happened.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Berlin Syndrome:

A passionate one-night stand turns into a captive situation. The pieces were there, but never really held any suspense for me. Needed to polish it up a bit. Worth a time-kill, that's about it.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    It's tough to say on Lucas. There are quotes of him sounding completely sane, and knowing exactly what's needed to make a solid film that both told a real (simple) story and fascinated peoples' ideas surrounding space and mysticism. He knew that the special effects were key, but as Handy(?) stated before me, they were the tools to the ends, not the ends in and of themselves. Then there are other times, when he started in with the Special Edition releases where he said that he'd have done so much more with the special effects had the technology and budget been available to him back in 1976. Well, he got that budget, and you can see what he did to his otherwise great films (IV and V).

Also, he acknowledged that he didn't have the greatest ability at script writing when writing the story outline for Empire, so he brought in some help. Kasdan and Kirshner took a good story outline and made a fantastic movie from it. Then Lucas inserted himself deeper into Return of the Jedi, and out popped the Teddy Bear Jamboree and the unwillingness to kill Han even though it should've happened.
                    Well part of the problem with Jedi was that Spielberg was set to direct (and my guess is he would have played script doctor just like Kershner did on Empire) but the Directors Guild blocked him. Lucas was in a tiff because he didnt use opening credits on the previous two films which was a union violation so they blocked any DGA member from directing Jedi.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Well part of the problem with Jedi was that Spielberg was set to direct (and my guess is he would have played script doctor just like Kershner did on Empire) but the Directors Guild blocked him. Lucas was in a tiff because he didnt use opening credits on the previous two films which was a union violation so they blocked any DGA member from directing Jedi.
                      I'd never heard of that before. What if the director thinks that the opening credits would harm the movie in some way, viewer experience or something? That seems like an arbitrary rule.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I'd never heard of that before. What if the director thinks that the opening credits would harm the movie in some way, viewer experience or something? That seems like an arbitrary rule.
                        Nowadays it is no big deal but back then the rule was in place to make sure everyone involved with the film got proper credit. The DGA and WGA and SAG have some real strange rules...
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Rock of Ages. I had never seen it and now I wish I hadn't. Holy hell is it awful. If it was intended as satire I might give it a pass but as it stands oh em gee.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Rock of Ages. I had never seen it and now I wish I hadn't. Holy hell is it awful. If it was intended as satire I might give it a pass but as it stands oh em gee.
                            It gives Road House a run for its money in how awesomely horrible it is. I love it for that reason.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              It's one of those movies that's always on so I have checked in for about five minutes here and there. My reaction is always the same: "oh Jack Black, you are better than this (click)." I have yet to see a single entertaining scene.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                It's one of those movies that's always on so I have checked in for about five minutes here and there. My reaction is always the same: "oh Jack Black, you are better than this (click)." I have yet to see a single entertaining scene.
                                I believe you're confusing School of Rock with Rock of Ages.

Comment

Working...
                                X