Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: bu off-season - #1

Holding court

Re: bu off-season - #1

Quote Originally Posted by wysi View Post
    but JFK would likely be an upgrade over Acciari, Vatrano and Moore.
    Debatable. No. And No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Debatable. No. And No.
    Gotta agree here. Especially at this point in all their respective careers

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Now I am ticked off. Sweeney is on my shiite list and will only come off if JFK spends the vast majority of next season with Boston.

I really viewed JFK as being the captain, the glue, the everything for next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    This is a bad development for the college game. *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by buoldtimer View Post
    Well, I wish these guys nothing but the best. They're very talented players, I enjoyed watching them play. At the same time, they won no championships while playing at BU. Perhaps the players who return, and the incoming players, will win championships.
    Yeah, I am not particularly thrilled with this. Especially since JFK told them no the first time. He is not going to contribute anything of note to the Bruins this season nor next season.

I can't imagine Greenway staying now. What a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    Yeah, I am not particularly thrilled with this. Especially since JFK told them no the first time. He is not going to contribute anything of note to the Bruins this season nor next season.

I can't imagine Greenway staying now. What a disappointment.
    Makes you wonder what changed that prompted JFK to sign, especially given very recent indications that he was likely returning. Agreed that Greenway - despite being physically ready but needing more development in other parts of his game - will likely follow suit.

Quinn's recruiting took into consideration BU could have 5 early departures following this season. I think the staff was prepared, but was hopeful that some of the players - IMO, JFK in particular - would return.

Next year's team will have the necessary # of bodies, but the deficiencies may be a lack of secondary (or even primary) scoring and inexperience (again).

Quote Originally Posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
    Makes you wonder what changed that prompted JFK to sign, especially given very recent indications that he was likely returning. Agreed that Greenway - despite being physically ready but needing more development in other parts of his game - will likely follow suit.

Quinn's recruiting took into consideration BU could have 5 early departures following this season. I think the staff was prepared, but was hopeful that some of the players - IMO, JFK in particular - would return.

Next year's team will have the necessary # of bodies, but the deficiencies may be a lack of secondary (or even primary) scoring and inexperience (again).
    It sounds to me like JFK is a very shrewd negotiator. He forced the Bruins into burning a year off his entry level deal, which a lot of other players don't get.

NHL will not participate in 2018 Olympics:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-no...cs/c-288385598

It'll be very interesting to see what impact this has on college hockey next season. And how USA Hockey and Hockey Canada may construct their Olympic teams.

NHL will not participate in 2018 Olympics:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-no...cs/c-288385598

It'll be very interesting to see what impact this has on college hockey next season. And how USA Hockey and Hockey Canada may construct their Olympic teams.
    That is a **** shame.

Is the KHL participating? If so, might as well hand them the gold medal now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Debatable. No. And No.
    Agreed not after what I saw for all but a short stretch of this year out of JFK not sure why the Bs are that enamored with him or McAvoy at this point enough to burn a contract year. Heard some local commentators mentioning McAvoy as the next Drew Doughty funny stuff

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by Jofa View Post
    Agreed not after what I saw for all but a short stretch of this year out of JFK not sure why the Bs are that enamored with him or McAvoy at this point enough to burn a contract year. Heard some local commentators mentioning McAvoy as the next Drew Doughty funny stuff
    Okay, glad I'm not totally losing it. If the B's think McAvoy will get better instruction in Providence so that he stops hitting opposing players shins and sticks with his passes out of his own zone I can see that because he does have potential. JFK pulled his best Casper the Friendly Ghost imitation in every big game this year where he was invisible on the ice. That goes for Greenway as well. Not sure what screams "NHL READY" out of either of these guys. Bellows I can see. He had a hell of a year considering his teammates avoid the front of the net like its mined with explosives, and therefore are in no position to take advantage of his playmaking abilities.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Bellows I can see. He had a hell of a year considering his teammates avoid the front of the net like its mined with explosives, and therefore are in no position to take advantage of his playmaking abilities.
    I agree this BU team lacked consistent net-front presence and weren't "hard" to play against in those areas. Greenway showed flashes of it, but he needs to do more than just bring it every few games.

Even though the forward corps from 2 years ago wasn't what you'd call physical, they were far more willing to get to the net w/ speed and good things often happened b/c of it. Part of it was attributed to the intimidation factor Eichel brought, but it was also attributed to having experienced forwards like O'Regan, Rodrigues, Hohmann who played a more mature game and were willing to make plays in difficult areas.

Blackhawks!!!

Opposite Girl

Was that not an issue when he was a student because, well, he was a student?

Those Swedes pose quite the threat, you know...

In all seriousness, I think the red tape is transitioning him from Student Visa --> Work Visa

Super Serial

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Was that not an issue when he was a student because, well, he was a student?
    Pretty much, he was likely here on a student visa and didn't have to deal with employment laws.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Veteran

This year's team definitely lacked secondary scoring, besides a very solid top 5 forwards (Keller, Harper, JFK, Carpenter, Greenway) they only had 4 that could score at a rate acceptable for a 3rd line forward in HE (Bellows, Roberto, Olsson, and Curry). So once Olsson was out BU essentially had a 3rd line forward on the 2nd line, and the two remaining 3rd line forwards with a 4th line forward on the 3rd line.

Replacing JFK and Keller (and possibly Greenway) with Tkachuk and Bowers is definitely a downgrade of the top group, but losing Roberto and adding Crone, Cockerill, and Amonte should upgrade the secondary scoring. It'll be hard to know if this is a net positive or negative until they start playing hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Agganis View Post
    This year's team definitely lacked secondary scoring, besides a very solid top 5 forwards (Keller, Harper, JFK, Carpenter, Greenway) they only had 4 that could score at a rate acceptable for a 3rd line forward in HE (Bellows, Roberto, Olsson, and Curry). So once Olsson was out BU essentially had a 3rd line forward on the 2nd line, and the two remaining 3rd line forwards with a 4th line forward on the 3rd line.

Replacing JFK and Keller (and possibly Greenway) with Tkachuk and Bowers is definitely a downgrade of the top group, but losing Roberto and adding Crone, Cockerill, and Amonte should upgrade the secondary scoring. It'll be hard to know if this is a net positive or negative until they start playing hockey.
    FWIW: NHL Central Scouting has Tkachuk among its top prospects for the 2018 draft. He missed 2017 by a day or so. Good size at 6'2" 194.
    https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-q...?tid=277764372
    How strong is the 2018 draft class?

At the top are goaltender Alexis Gravel (6-2, 205) and left wing Benoit-Olivier Groulx (6-1, 184) of Halifax; right wing Andrei Svechnikov (6-1, 188) of Muskegon; center Brady Tkachuk (6-2, 194) of USA Hockey's National Team Development Program Under-18 team, who is the younger brother of Calgary Flames forward Matthew Tkachuk and the son of former NHL star forward Keith Tkachuk; and center Joseph Veleno (6-1, 190) of Saint John (QMJHL).

Blackhawks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jofa View Post
    Pierre was in full ball-washing mode during the Bruins Blackhawks game Sunday. He made the McAvoy-Doughty comparison. Of course he also mentioned Joe Sacco and how is brother David was a "really, really good player at Boston University." Neglecting to mention that Joe played at BU as well and was better. #Dunce
    It Happened!!!!

Pierre was in full ball-washing mode during the Bruins Blackhawks game Sunday. He made the McAvoy-Doughty comparison. Of course he also mentioned Joe Sacco and how is brother David was a "really, really good player at Boston University." Neglecting to mention that Joe played at BU as well and was better. #Dunce
    Yeah, I caught that too. Joe had goal totals of 14, 21, and 28 through 3 seasons. I always wonder what that 90-91 team would have looked like with him back for his Senior year. Maybe that title game gets settled in regulation for the good guys.

We hadn't had true NHL talent in some time, he was the first to bolt early that had a legit shot.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    We hadn't had true NHL talent in some time, he was the first to bolt early that had a legit shot.
    Not Billy Whelton?

David was the better college player at BU. He could also take a turn on the blueline. Joe was bigger, and had a bigger upside to his game, and a much longer pro career.

Thread Information