Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: bu off-season - #1

Re: bu off-season - #1

Quote Originally Posted by Rogie21 View Post
    Judging by the way theyíve filled up the pipeline, Quinn and Albie have mastered that treadmill.
    I hear BU might be hiring John Calipari?

Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    I hear BU might be hiring John Calipari?
    You're a tad late to this thread. #568 yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    The Kentucky of college hockey??

You're a tad late to this thread. #568 yesterday.
    And also mentioned about a year ago roughly when the NHL draft was taking place. To the extent that there might have been an argument at that time, I think this years class counters it. While there is some talent coming in at forward, only two guys are 1st rounders (Tkachuk and Bowers) and then it is a good blend of skill and maturity (read: 4 year guys). And while all the defensemen coming in are high round draft picks, there aren't any Charlie McAvoys in the group, so most are a good bet to be here 3 if not 4 years.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Super Serial

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    And also mentioned about a year ago roughly when the NHL draft was taking place. To the extent that there might have been an argument at that time, I think this years class counters it. While there is some talent coming in at forward, only two guys are 1st rounders (Tkachuk and Bowers) and then it is a good blend of skill and maturity (read: 4 year guys). And while all the defensemen coming in are high round draft picks, there aren't any Charlie McAvoys in the group, so most are a good bet to be here 3 if not 4 years.
    Not to mention Melanson coming in as an experienced grad transfer at forward. Exactly the kind of player many here have been calling for to balance the young talent.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Not to mention Melanson coming in as an experienced grad transfer at forward. Exactly the kind of player many here have been calling for to balance the young talent.
    I hope he is an impact player. His resume reads a little like our last forward that was a graduate transfer (outbound)- led team in scoring as a freshman, but didn't do much after that. I know he has good speed, so that should help.
    Last edited by defkit; 09-08-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Quinn said at a fan event this summer that Melanson was a candidate for top six. Asked on the RPI thread what we can expect and got this reply from Turk181
    Top 6 is where you will get the max production from Drew. I donít know the speed of the current BU boys but if anyone is faster than Drew Iíld like to see that. IMO, he was misused the past 2 yrs. by the RPI staff. Drew was in the NYR Prospect Camp following his Fr. season & was invited back the next year by the Rangers & Boston. He turned both invites down because of an injury that ended his season early (early Feb. IIRC) & felt he would be too far behind the other players who would be there. Heís playing for his pro career now so donít be surprised to see him put up some numbers. Canít say enough good things about him. Got to know him & his Dad very well the past 3 yrs & they are 1st class people.

Super Serial

I hope he is an impact player. His resume reads a little like our last forward that was a graduate transfer (outbound)- led team in scoring as a freshman, but didn't do much after that. I know he has good speed, so that should help.
    Don't forget that Melanson is also coming from an AWFUL team. RPI has been a disaster of a program while he was there, so moving to a place like BU if he indeed has some talent may well put a bit of a spark in him. Not to mention he'll also figure to score more points by virtue of playing with better linemates. He'll also be in a situation where he won't be expected to shoulder a large part of the offensive burden. If he had a consistent home on the third line and we got 20 points out of him, experience, and disciplined play that'd be a great situation. His 18 PIM from last season (14, 12 the years prior) would be in the bottom 25% of last year's roster so he appears to do a good job of staying on the ice.
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 09-08-2017 at 09:35 PM.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

mascot extraordinaire
    Don't forget that Melanson is also coming from an AWFUL team. RPI has been a disaster of a program while he was there, so moving to a place like BU if he indeed has some talent may well put a bit of a spark in him. Not to mention he'll also figure to score more points by virtue of playing with better linemates. He'll also be in a situation where he won't be expected to shoulder a large part of the offensive burden. If he had a consistent home on the third line and we got 20 points out of him, experience, and disciplined play that'd be a great situation. His 18 PIM from last season (14, 12 the years prior) would be in the bottom 25% of last year's roster so he appears to do a good job of staying on the ice.
    Due to his speed and grit in the corners, Drew will definitely be an impact for you. He may not be the leading goal scorer, but he will definitely be up there in assists. His speed alone will lead to a lot more goals for Boston University .

Asked on the RPI thread what we can expect and got this reply from Turk181
    Quite an interesting back and forth on that thread about Melanson. If he matches his 20pts from his freshman year, I'll be more than happy.

When Brady T committed he definitely wasn't THIS highly regarded. Based on current projections, almost certainly a one and done now though.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    When Brady T committed he definitely wasn't THIS highly regarded. Based on current projections, almost certainly a one and done now though.
    I agree he wasn't as highly regarded. I was even skeptical when around a year ago I heard someone say there were comments that he may be better than his brother. But I guess "Development Happens". And it happens at different times for different players. Greenway's development was definitely later - he seemed to be dropping off the radar during his U18 year.

As far as the one-and-done, I would call it 50/50 at this point, even though I have no insight beyond my own opinion. Part of my thinking is the fact that he chose the college route versus MJ - usually, though not always, means more focus on developing physically, and hey, maybe even making progress towards a degree :-). While he is a potential top-5 pick, he was one day away from being drafted this year, which would have knocked him down a few spots I would imagine.

When will the numerical roster be posted? I'm curious what the freshmen will have. Tkachuk said in an interview he'll be #27. Which as I mentioned earlier, likely means a returning player switched to 7, since McAvoy is gone, and I would think Brady would get it if it was available. Maybe Harper? I think he might have been #7 at AOF.

Opposite Girl

When will the numerical roster be posted? I'm curious what the freshmen will have. Tkachuk said in an interview he'll be #27. Which as I mentioned earlier, likely means a returning player switched to 7, since McAvoy is gone, and I would think Brady would get it if it was available. Maybe Harper? I think he might have been #7 at AOF.
    Krys changed his number to 7. Like his dad.

Blackhawks!!!

Penn State sold out their student ticket allotment in 3 minutes.
    It Happened!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Krys changed his number to 7. Like his dad.
    Ty Amonte took his dad's #3 www.goterriers.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey
    Three second-generation Terriers this season, whose fathers played on the '91 HE champs/NCAA finalist team.

Blackhawks!!!

Three second-generation Terriers this season, whose fathers played on the '91 HE champs/NCAA finalist team.
    That's wild $h!t. And it makes me feel old.
    It Happened!!!!

Opposite Girl
    Four. Ali McEachern is the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Four. Ali McEachern is the manager.
    That's so awesome!

I'm ready for the season to begin. Not too sure what to expect, but I'm looking forward to this team.

If only Brady would have taken his dad's number at BU, twenty-fo.....oh wait, never mind.

Seriously, seeing the name Amonte and the number 3 together again is going to be hard to deal with. Tony was the most electrifying player I've seen in all my years watching BU. Eichel was the most dominant, but Amonte was flashy and his 9 GWG's as a freshman (many of them in OT or in the waning moments of regulation) made for a memorable senior year for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhett Hot View Post
    I'm ready for the season to begin. Not too sure what to expect, but I'm looking forward to this team.
    Rumor has it your boys will be in contention for the Stanley Cup.
    God Bless Us All.

'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Thread Information