Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND Players finding new schools

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Okay, I understand North Dakota's penalty disease. It's always been endemic to their region and maybe it is spreading now to Mankato. But what I don't understand is how Wisconsin could have 50 more penalties this past year than did that "rodent" team you so despise. In four of their games this season Wisconsin had a combined total of 20 penalties that they won by a combined score of 31 to 0. Is it simply a lack of discipline at times or is it because they feel they're so far ahead a few hacks or checks don't matter or is it something else?
    I think some of the UW players get frustrated with all the clog and grab and lose their focus, mainly Clark and Pankowski. Roque played boys HS hockey in MI, I hope she can adjust out of taking the physical type penalties.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      UND had 25 more penalties than the Mavs for an additional 75 minutes, so some naughty girls at UND
      the player that took out Desbiens only had 4 penalties all year
      and it happened after a Badger hit the Mavs goalie
      so it sounds like it was more a case of losing your cool and retaliating rather than a bad apple

in fairness, you should list the number of penalties by the other four teams in those games
      it could be that the other teams were frustrated and decided to play rough, and the Badgers responded in kind
      The four different opponents had 15 total penalties to the 20 for Wisconsin. Shots on goal were 185 to 69 in the Badgers favor. I would think that with the puck consistently in their opponents d-zone that the Badgers would have had fewer penalties. The 9 penalties the Badgers committed in their 7-0 shellacking of the Mavericks did skew the stats a little, in all fairness. Something must have po'ed the Badgers in that game. The other 3 games the total penalties were the same for both teams.
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

The four different opponents had 15 total penalties to the 20 for Wisconsin. Shots on goal were 185 to 69 in the Badgers favor. I would think that with the puck consistently in their opponents d-zone that the Badgers would have had fewer penalties. The 9 penalties the Badgers committed in their 7-0 shellacking of the Mavericks did skew the stats a little, in all fairness. Something must have po'ed the Badgers in that game. The other 3 games the total penalties were the same for both teams.
        All the best to young Kolstad and hope that all of the UND players find a home. And as for Timothy, I would rank the Badgers right up there in terms of dirty teams to play against but I guess it's acceptable because they win most of the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          All the best to young Kolstad and hope that all of the UND players find a home. And as for Timothy, I would rank the Badgers right up there in terms of dirty teams to play against but I guess it's acceptable because they win most of the time!
          I don't like the chippy play by any team, period. I'd like UW to cut down the chippy penalties for sure. I think some of the players get frustrated by all the O zone clogging and getting so many shots blocked. They need to trust the process, trust their own skills and their teammates and everything will turn out as it is supposed to.

I do have an ax to grind with Mankato on the ARD injury. That could have easily ended her career. Just ask Amanda Kessel and Stephanie McKeough to name 2 about the effects of concussions. Any player that intentionally gives a blow to the head needs to be suspended for a long time. The WCHA need to take player safety seriously.

With UND leaving, Wisconsin has the crown as the most penalized team in the league. That is something I'd like to see MJ and crew fix, though the Wisconsin Wackers has a nice ring to it. Not sure about Johnson's Wackers, however.

Comment

And as for Timothy, I would rank the Badgers right up there in terms of dirty teams to play against but I guess it's acceptable because they win most of the time!
            What I've noticed more than anything is that the Badgers are very adept at using their sticks, not so much to hack, chop and slash, but to disrupt and often prevent their opponent from making the desired play. They also seem to know when to "let go", doing just enough stick-work so as not to draw a whistle. Of course as the stats clearly show, perfection of this "skill" often eludes them.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Dirty player. Sorry she found another place to play - WCHA would be better off without her. At least she didn't come out East.

Comment

But what I don't understand is how Wisconsin could have 50 more penalties this past year than did that "rodent" team you so despise. ... Is it simply a lack of discipline at times or is it because they feel they're so far ahead a few hacks or checks don't matter or is it something else?
                Wisconsin took 159 penalties, their opponents took 158; Minnesota took 109, their opponents took 115. As pokechecker speculated "it could be that the other teams were frustrated and decided to play rough, and the Badgers responded in kind". Yes, Wisconsin found themselves in 'high penalty' games for whatever reason, while Minnesota played 'low penalty' games. But neither team found themselves at any particular advantage or disadvantage because of it; on average, they both had the same number of skaters on the ice as their opponents over the course of the game.

It is only when the 'mismatch' in penalties gets to where North Dakota's was - 161 penalties taken vs 125 - that penalties become a problem. Until then, it is the 'style' of game the refs are giving you. (And if your PP is better than your opponent's AND your PK is better than your opponent's, maybe playing a 'high penalty' game is strategic.)

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  I think some of the UW players get frustrated with all the clog and grab and lose their focus, mainly Clark and Pankowski. Roque played boys HS hockey in MI, I hope she can adjust out of taking the physical type penalties.
                  So, winning by an average of 9-0 caused them to be frustrated by their opponents play? Oh dear!

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    (And if your PP is better than your opponent's AND your PK is better than your opponent's, maybe playing a 'high penalty' game is strategic.)
                    That might make some kind of sense as a strategy if it wasn't for the fact that 66 of those penalties came from four of Wisconsin's five leading scorers. Maybe Johnson just wanted to give some of his other players more practice on the PK or ARD a few more saves? With just 3 penalties their #4 leading scorer McKibbon must have missed that particular strategy session.

Comment

That might make some kind of sense as a strategy if it wasn't for the fact that 66 of those penalties came from four of Wisconsin's five leading scorers. Maybe Johnson just wanted to give some of his other players more practice on the PK or ARD a few more saves? With just 3 penalties their #4 leading scorer McKibbon must have missed that particular strategy session.
                      "Be extra aggressive on your forecheck. Steal the puck, and score. And if you happen to take a penalty, we've got ARD back there."

Comment

"Be extra aggressive on your forecheck. Steal the puck, and score. And if you happen to take a penalty, we've got ARD back there."
                        Hard to argue with a winning formula like that.

Comment

With ARD gone 159 penalties as a strategy might not work quite so well next year. Your team may have to follow the McKibbon Method of committing as few penalties as possible. In Minnesota we call it the "Potomak Principle." I still think that roughing call in Wisconsin for her only penalty of the year must have been a mistake by the ref.

Comment

Commit Taylor Wemple has committed to St. Cloud

https://***********/waylortemple/sta...41317402316800
                            https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                            https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                            NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                            Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Surprise surprise surprise, looky here......UW lands another goalie....Former UND G Kristen Campbell is joining UW this season. I thought UW was loaded with Cece and Blesi, very interesting indeed.

Comment

2017 recruit Alyssa MacMillan (Okanagan Hockey Academy) will head to the University of Ottawa in the fall.
                                Last edited by Iceburg; 04-21-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X