Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    That's a pretty good line. I think if you tweet it, right now, you have a chance to be the 167th person to have done so.
    Criticize away... But I can't thank you enough for posting that Penn State should get a women's hockey team...
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      It is a little shocking that they didn't draw better, considering the popularity of the men's team. If they drew 2500 instead of 800 would that have been enough to save the program? I'm guessing not. What did a women's ticket cost?
      Women's hockey is over everywhere if revenue has to cover expenses. UND had $25,306 in ticket sales against $2.1M in expenses.

http://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry...-million-2016/

Comment

• Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
        Women's hockey is over everywhere if revenue has to cover expenses. UND had $25,306 in ticket sales against $2.1M in expenses.
        http://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry...-million-2016/
        If you apply this to many sports and even DIV 1 football at many places it won't cut it.

Comment

Looking just at gate vs expenses is not the right way of calculating the value of a team. Athletics are in a large way a loss leader. Athletics are an enhancement to the community making it more attractive to both the student and local communities and especially at big nationwide programs in football and basketball a major part of the branding that enhances how recognizable the institution is nationwide.

Athletics, both men's and women's teams, are an added value to the prestige of an institution and I theorize that cutting a nationally recognized team that incubates Olympic athletes combined with the mascot/nickname issue is such a huge black eye this is a net loss to North Dakota's brand beyond the monetary savings. But when there is a mandate from a government entity to do something quickly, mistakes get made in haste to keep in the politician's good graces. Look at the mess Penn State has been in as a program with the Sandusky sanctions (to say nothing of the horrors that earned those sanctions). There was a lot of pressure from above to accept hefty sanctions that ended up getting walked back after backlash from the community.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            So they may have brought in another $200,000 with tickets and concessions if they drew 2500....
            If they draw 2500 fans a game, would that even cover the operating costs of opening the Ralph? I wonder what the set up costs are for staffing a game at the Ralph is. I wonder if it would have made more sense for them to play at a local rink.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              If they draw 2500 fans a game, would that even cover the operating costs of opening the Ralph? I wonder what the set up costs are for staffing a game at the Ralph is. I wonder if it would have made more sense for them to play at a local rink.
              That's absolutely ridiculous. The ice is in, it's ready to go. Not much different than any other rink.

Comment

It would be interesting to see the same table generated for Revenue and Expenses for the Mens Program at UND. How much is a ticket to a men's game cost?
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  even DIV 1 football at many places it won't cut it.
                  Then why are they D1? Go back to D2 or cut it altogether.

Some schools like Minnesota (and rest of Big Ten) are going to make so much money (50-100m gross) that I don't see how they will avoid paying their players.

My original thought is that Grand Forks likes to be thought of as this hockey town, but really not so much after this.

It's a unique situation isn't it? Doesn't men's hockey carry the department? Does football or bouncy ball make any money? So they can build a $100,000,000 arena but can't keep the successful women's team going. Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
                    Then why are they D1? Go back to D2 or cut it altogether.

Some schools like Minnesota (and rest of Big Ten) are going to make so much money (50-100m gross) that I don't see how they will avoid paying their players.

My original thought is that Grand Forks likes to be thought of as this hockey town, but really not so much after this.

It's a unique situation isn't it? Doesn't men's hockey carry the department? Does football or bouncy ball make any money? So they can build a $100,000,000 arena but can't keep the successful women's team going. Crazy.
                    Because D1 football brings prestige to the university and alumni donations. And it wouldn't be back to D2 for most of them, it would be from FBS (1A) to FCS (1AA). However, the arms race on salaries and video scoreboards and "amenities" for the Power 5 conferences is way out of hand. When the media rights bubble bursts, those programs will be in a world of hurt.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                      It is also interesting to consider this...Could it have been helpful to the women's program if UND supporters had put as much time, effort, and money into the women's program as they did the nickname issue?
                      When I first mentioned this awful occurrence to my significant other yesterday she wondered if there was money the school was no longer getting from the Englestad family because of the name change. I told her I have no idea, but I couldn't imagine that it would have made any difference in what the school had just done. Don't think Ralph can be blamed for this in his grave. Or can he?
                      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

first off, UND does not own the arena, they are tennents of the Engelstad Foundation which owns the building and land it sits on, rent is $1 a year last I heard, UND also plays basketball & volleyball in the Betty, named after his wife, also not owned by UND
                        and second, yes, the name change could of had an effect, who knows, he may have left them even more money when he kicked the bucket

so trivia question, which school is the farthest west in women's hockey now that UND is out?
                        no fair looking at a map

and second, which school will benefit the most?
                        St. cloud, Mankato, Bemidji? somebody else?
                        Last edited by pokechecker; 03-30-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Since Mankato is the least likely in my mind, I'll guess them. Bemidji is just way too obvious. Bemidji benefits the most in recruitment, especially for those who like Musky fishing. For the recruits that like Bullheads, Mankato might be their choice. Lake Jefferson is very good. Caught a nice catfish there once.
                          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-30-2017, 08:12 PM. Reason: Fishing options
                          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            and second, which school will benefit the most?
                            St. cloud, Mankato, Bemidji? somebody else?
                            I say everyone loses, including would be players who now have 18 fewer scholarship opportunities available.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                              I would love to see this budget! Equipment, sticks, equipment manager, facility personnel, strength coach, academic advisors, athletic department coordinator, employee benefits, ice time, food, hotel and travel budget for away games, recruiting expenses.

Give it a shot.
                              Does the team really need all that? Each kid gets two sticks, green pants and a green helmet, new uniforms every four years, scratch the strength coach and the academic advisors, pay out of pocket for your own swag, no travel for non conference games and one full time coach on the cheap. If I were running the department, they still have a team.

Comment

• Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
                                Does the team really need all that? Each kid gets two sticks, green pants and a green helmet, new uniforms every four years, scratch the strength coach and the academic advisors, pay out of pocket for your own swag, no travel for non conference games and one full time coach on the cheap. If I were running the department, they still have a team.
                                LOL, you're a joke. D3 teams are run better than that, maybe not all but probably the majority. You know nothing and couldn't run a department let alone a hockey team if your life depended on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X