Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
    That's absolutely ridiculous. The ice is in, it's ready to go. Not much different than any other rink.
    Not so ridiculous.

There are costs putting on a game. Labor costs to man the place (though, like I said in another post, they don't need to pay for ushers to just tell you "Sit anywhere"), security, clean up, etc. Even if some of that is returned (concession stand labor vs. food sales, for instance), it still costs money to put a game on.

Plus, how much could the rink make if they rented the ice out to a youth program instead of three hours of "free" use by the college team?

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    alumni donations.
    This.

Alumni donations are ultimately what drives a lot of college sports decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    and second, which school will benefit the most?
    St. cloud, Mankato, Bemidji? somebody else?
    Don't rule out D3 programs.

When other programs were shuttered (Findlay), a lot of players transferred to D3 schools, because they couldn't find a spot on a D1 team on such short notice.

Sure, the top players will find a D1 spot, but many others may find it a lot easier to just go with a D3 program and guarantee themselves a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I would imagine that current high school junior and USA U18 team member Gabby Hughes won't have any problem catching on with another team.

29 goals + 38 assists = 66 points in just 23 games for Centennial high school this past year.
    http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/roster_players/15124081

Unfortunately the Gopher already have a rather large (6) incoming class already committed for 2018-19, so adding another would seem unlikely.
    Clarkson is a fine place to play hockey. And I think they won a really big game recently... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    I wonder if the school chose to cut hockey because it is so high profile that they expected a backlash. They can then turn around and say: find sponsors that will support the program and we'll bring it back......
    See: Skidmore.

Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Quote Originally Posted by EastFan1 View Post
    Women's hockey is over everywhere if revenue has to cover expenses. UND had $25,306 in ticket sales against $2.1M in expenses.

http://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry...-million-2016/
    Admission at Maine is free. Women's hockey program continues at a significant cost.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I would imagine that current high school junior and USA U18 team member Gabby Hughes won't have any problem catching on with another team.

29 goals + 38 assists = 66 points in just 23 games for Centennial high school this past year.
    http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/roster_players/15124081

Unfortunately the Gopher already have a rather large (6) incoming class already committed for 2018-19, so adding another would seem unlikely.
    But can she add?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    But can she add?
    Hopefully better than me! LOL
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Not so ridiculous.

There are costs putting on a game. Labor costs to man the place (though, like I said in another post, they don't need to pay for ushers to just tell you "Sit anywhere"), security, clean up, etc. Even if some of that is returned (concession stand labor vs. food sales, for instance), it still costs money to put a game on.

Plus, how much could the rink make if they rented the ice out to a youth program instead of three hours of "free" use by the college team?

Wow. I feel dumber just reading your posts. Facebook smileys

Agree with yourself please. It costs to play anywhere. The team is essentially getting free ice at Englestad but you think the women should play at a local high school (where they'd have to pay $500 for ice) to save money?

It's all a moot point anyway.

southpaw

Kate Fagan on ESPN Outside the Lines just compared UND cutting Women's Hockey to UConn cutting women's basketball. "That's how dominant that program has been," she said.

This space for sale

Quote Originally Posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
    Kate Fagan on ESPN Outside the Lines just compared UND cutting Women's Hockey to UConn cutting women's basketball. "That's how dominant that program has been," she said.
    True statement. As long as she puts them behind UM, UMD, Wisconsin, Clarkson, and BC. Other than that, it's a perfectly valid statement.

Agree with yourself please. It costs to play anywhere. The team is essentially getting free ice at Englestad but you think the women should play at a local high school (where they'd have to pay $500 for ice) to save money?

Do you think opening a 12k arena is free to host an event that has 800 people at it?

Quote Originally Posted by bucky15 View Post
    Do you think opening a 12k arena is free to host an event that has 800 people at it?
    Does UND have a practice rink separate from the Ralph that they use regularly? Because if not, the building gets 'opened' on a daily basis whether there's a game or not. Obviously, ushers and concessions etc happen only on a day game, but the great majority of facilities cost exist whether or not a game happens to be played that day or not. The incremental cost of 'game' versus 'practice but no game' is likely fairly minimal, and may well approach "free".

Umm, it's not at all what I said. Reading comprehension my friend. Reading comprehension.

I said Englestad can make more money renting the ice time to a youth team instead of giving it to the women for free. Sheesh...

Saw the video of this posted on another forum...

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19046887&t=02m25s
    There is a certain irony that appears lost on the NFL players who decided to kneel for the Star Spangled Banner and then stood for God Save the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Saw the video of this posted on another forum...

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19046887&t=02m25s
    Well, she does cover NBA basketball and played for Colorado which may help to explain her hyperbolic comparison of North Dakota hockey to UConn basketball. Or maybe she was just confused and thought ND with the Lamoureux's had the 62 game winning streak and Minnesota ended it?
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-31-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Really??!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Well, she does cover NBA basketball and played for Colorado which may help to explain her hyperbolic comparison of North Dakota hockey to UConn basketball. And maybe she was just confused and thought ND with the Lamoureux's had the 62 game winning streak and Minnesota ended it?
    Really an ESPN reporter accused of hyperbole? Can't be

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Well, she does cover NBA basketball and played for Colorado which may help to explain her comparison of North Dakota hockey to UConn basketball. And maybe she was just confused and thought ND with the Lamoureux's had the 62 game winning streak and Minnesota ended it?
    Or could it be kind of like a 6 degrees of separation thing?
    There is a certain irony that appears lost on the NFL players who decided to kneel for the Star Spangled Banner and then stood for God Save the Queen.

That might be the dumbest thing ever said on ESPN.

I am aware of how much competition there is for the title of Dumbest Thing Ever Said On ESPN. But I stand firm on that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    That might be the dumbest thing ever said on ESPN.

I am aware of how much competition there is for the title of Dumbest Thing Ever Said On ESPN. But I stand firm on that statement.
    UConn going for their 5th straight national championship (not a BB fan, just happened to see this in the sports page this morning).
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Thread Information