REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    SCSU could not just cut the women's team because that's our Only D-1 women's sport.
    You are correct, D2 in other sports. I misspoke on that.

Comment

Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
      Good points Puck Rush. If current coaches want climb in the standings they will surely make room for talented players. Big Ten schools are locked in with scholarships for 4 years but state schools are year to year on the scholarships. Not usually good business to run kids off but upgrade in talent is just that and helps them win.
      So it's worse than I even thought. Not only can D1's de-commit on verbals for the next 2-3 incoming classes to take UND players, but the state schools can take away scholarships for existing students at will. Wow. This has huge ramifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
        So it's worse than I even thought. Not only can D1's de-commit on verbals for the next 2-3 incoming classes to take UND players, but the state schools can take away scholarships for existing students at will. Wow. This has huge ramifications.
        Not usually how you want to operate though. At OSU some players that were told they wouldn't be playing had the option to finish school with their scholarship level.

Comment

Schools have the option as to whether they want to make scholarships for a guaranteed four years, or whether they want to make them for one year only, with the option not to renew them for the next year. I believe that they must make a uniform choice for all athletes, not pick and choose by individual. All of the Big 10 schools guarantee them for four years.

This is actually a new thing. Until 2014, NCAA rules prohibited guaranteeing a scholarship beyond one year.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I'm sure each player will be exploring and considering all of the options available, and then do what she believes is in her best interest. Obviously the younger and most talented will have the best opportunity to transfer and continue to play D1 at another school. As far as UND's committed recruits go, I would imagine they're fair game for other D1 coaches to contact and offer financial aid of some sort?
            I know this may sound simplistic but couldn't UND run a program on the cheap instead of cutting the team all together? $1.5 million sounds excessive. It would seem to me that the ice arena is already there for the women to use and it's one of the best facilities around. Hire one full time coach at 50K and a part timer at 10K. Slash, travel and equipment, recruiting and operating expenses to the bone. Provide only need based financial aid. I bet they could pull off a D1 program for 250K annually and possibly pull in a bunch of full pay out of state kids who want to be on the same sheet of ice as Minnesota and Ohio State. Not ideal but better than the alternative. Make the men's team take a 250K trim and you have the dough. It seems foolish to cut a sport that already has an amazing facility when that's half the battle for most universities. Bubble D1/3 kids from Minny would still want to go there and the team would still be better than almost all of the Hockey East schools beside BC. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
              I know this may sound simplistic but couldn't UND run a program on the cheap instead of cutting the team all together? $1.5 million sounds excessive. It would seem to me that the ice arena is already there for the women to use and it's one of the best facilities around. Hire one full time coach at 50K and a part timer at 10K. Slash, travel and equipment, recruiting and operating expenses to the bone. Provide only need based financial aid. I bet they could pull off a D1 program for 250K annually and possibly pull in a bunch of full pay out of state kids who want to be on the same sheet of ice as Minnesota and Ohio State. Not ideal but better than the alternative. Make the men's team take a 250K trim and you have the dough. It seems foolish to cut a sport that already has an amazing facility when that's half the battle for most universities. Bubble D1/3 kids from Minny would still want to go there and the team would still be better than almost all of the Hockey East schools beside BC. Thoughts?
              there is already one WCHA school being sued because of claimed inequity/equality between the men's & women's program
              you are proposing that UND flirt with being sued for it also?
              as expensive as a decent coach is, lawyers are MUCH more expensive

Comment

And then they would have to cut an additional sport.

Comment

Bubble D1/3 kids from Minny would still want to go there and the team would still be better than almost all of the Hockey East schools beside BC. Thoughts?
                  Hahahahaha gtfooh with this nonsense
                  Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                  Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                  Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I would imagine that current high school junior and USA U18 team member Gabby Hughes won't have any problem catching on with another team.

29 goals + 38 assists = 66 points in just 23 games for Centennial high school this past year.
                    http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/roster_players/15124081

Unfortunately the Gopher already have a rather large (6) incoming class already committed for 2018-19, so adding another would seem unlikely.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

So does Penn St get invited to the WCHA? Would be interesting. Still can not believe ND, Michigan and Michigan St do not have women's teams.

Hughes is a talent for sure. I wonder if their foreign players go east. Maybe Maine or UConn just got a bit better with some package deals for some of these girls.
                      Pass the puck

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        It's a lot simpler than that: commodity prices are volatile, full stop. They always have been, and they always will be. Any government that relies upon resource extraction as the basis of its revenue needs to keep that in mind during the boom times, but almost none of them ever do. Norway is the major exception to that.
                        In 2013, Williston ND. was experiencing an economic boom that was beyond belief. Salaries for workers with no experience exceeded $100,000/yr. McDonald’s employees made $20 an hour. The average rent for one-bedroom apartments outpaced New York City prices. And investors were willing to pay $200,000 for an acre of land that was previously worth $500.

Now, a few short years later, it’s a veritable ghost town.

You're right, commodity prices are volatile...and cyclical, and interestingly enough, often predictably so. (But my point was, as with most things, it's almost always made worse by government involvement). But we are talking about governments here whose ability to see the obvious is usually non existent. Far be it from me to normally want to defend any government but UND had a women's hockey program before the Bakken Formation became big news in North Dakota so any funding that it was getting was coming from elsewhere, prior to the short lived fracking boom.

(And, btw, Norway isn't doing nearly as well as it was a few years ago. It's been dipping into its sovereign wealth fund in a serious way so its shining example to the world has been seriously tarnished as well).

Comment

I would imagine that current high school junior and USA U18 team member Gabby Hughes won't have any problem catching on with another team.

29 goals + 38 assists = 66 points in just 23 games for Centennial high school this past year.

Unfortunately the Gopher already have a rather large (6) incoming class already committed for 2018-19, so adding another would seem unlikely.
                          Wisconsin has 3 departing with 3 coming in, but if Clark or Pankowski do no get centralized, they will have 1 extra spot.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I know this may sound simplistic but couldn't UND run a program on the cheap instead of cutting the team all together? $1.5 million sounds excessive. It would seem to me that the ice arena is already there for the women to use and it's one of the best facilities around. Hire one full time coach at 50K and a part timer at 10K. Slash, travel and equipment, recruiting and operating expenses to the bone. Provide only need based financial aid.........
                            I think you just described Maine's program.

Comment

May be she would like to exchange ND green for National Championship Green.
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Have you seen how far UND is from other programs? Travel is $$. I heard OSU has a $500k travel budget so I could not guess what the travel costs would be like at UND. This isnt a team in Boston with a lot of close schools.

Comment

Working...
                                X