Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Arafel View Post
    To add insult to injury, North Dakota had one woman commit over the weekend (she tweeted it), and TODAY had a player land at 12:30 CDT at the airport for a recruiting visit to North Dakota, according to Brad Schlossman, whom I trust. You CANNOT make this crap up. North Dakota administration is a bunch of idiots
    You must be a lefty for sure, you see, it works like this ... you cannot spend money you do not have
    every man, woman, and child, owes over $60,000 as their part of the national debt, and it is $20,000 for just last year (and you wonder how the Dems lost)

so tell me, how would you pay your share if the debt collector came calling?
    for the math challenged: a family of 4 owes just under a 1/4 million

"UND had one player in the 2006 Olympic Games, three in the 2010 Games and eight in 2014—the Lamoureuxs played for the U.S., Michelle Karvinen, Anna Kilponen, Vilma Tanskanen and Susanna Tapani played for Finland and Tanja Eisenschmid and Susanne Fellner played for Germany."

could be part of the reason, it's a great sport if you are from anywhere except North Dakota
    Last edited by pokechecker; 03-29-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

Do not take the bait, people.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Aren't most teams already stacked to their limit for next season by now? Surely the scholarships are gone, so these North Dakota players will have a hard time finding spots elsewhere, unless they plan to stay at North Dakota and just be students on their North Dakota scholarships.
    Well, the late signing period is in April so some programs may still have scholarship money available if they haven't verbally committed it all away yet.

What about PSU who I understand has had a number of defections due to the turmoil in that program?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Well, the late signing period is in April so some programs may still have scholarship money available if they haven't verbally committed it all away yet.

What about PSU who I understand has had a number of defections due to the turmoil in that program?
    I wonder how many of the scholarship players who can't find their way onto a team for next year might stay the year at NoDak under schollie, red shirt, and find their way onto a team with some space in the following year's class? They could probably get a year of grad school paid for that way.

That's trying to polish a turd, I know, but it's something.

I haven't heard of any defections from the program, and Brandwene left in January, so those issues associated with him are over. They did have a somewhat short roster this past season, but have six incoming freshmen replacing the four graduating seniors. It would be great to get some WCHA-level players at Penn State, for sure, but it looks like they're full for next season (barring any surprises).

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    They were compelled by the Legislature to cut $1.3 million from their athletic budget.
    Maybe one of these days, states will realize that resource extraction is never a stable base upon which to build a tax base.

I'm sure each player will be exploring and considering all of the options available, and then do what she believes is in her best interest. Obviously the younger and most talented will have the best opportunity to transfer and continue to play D1 at another school. As far as UND's committed recruits go, I would imagine they're fair game for other D1 coaches to contact and offer financial aid of some sort?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Maybe one of these days, states will realize that resource extraction is never a stable base upon which to build a tax base.
    Yeah, in retrospect the state should have looked to its vibrant ports, burgeoning start ups in the Red River "silicon" Valley and its nonpareil financial services industry for its revenue needs.

Coaches will make room for talent pool coming from the Sioux exodus. If I was a bubble kid at some schools I would hit the weight room. At least no one will finish in 8th place this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Well, you've/they've got the Saudi's retribution to thank for that after you/they thank your government for devising the criminal petro-dollar arrangement in conjunction with the Saudis and then embarking on a dominate the planet crusade with their incompetent, dishonest and disastrous foreign policy over the last 25 years spinning such a lying tangled web that there was no way out eventually causing the Saudi's to feel betrayed and...you've got the North Dakota situation that you are referring to (in addition to many others including Canada). It's simple, but it's complicated, but it's simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie44 View Post
    If I was a bubble kid at some schools I would hit the weight room.
    Hilarious...couldn't stop laughing. But, excellent advice.

This is worse than most know...

From what I've been seeing this year, a major change in the recruiting timetable has occurred. D1 women's hockey programs are now working on recruiting 9th graders (and I'm not kidding, 8th graders too), with scholarships no longer available for incoming classes for 2017 (of course) and 2018; most of the 2019 scholarship slots are gone, and even some incoming 2020's are no longer available. The timing of this announcement and this significant change in the recruiting timetable has developed into a perfect (and terrible) storm.

So not only do players on the current team have slim pickings for scholarships at other schools, but this is also true for high school seniors, juniors, and most of the sophomores with a scholarship commitment to North Dakota. I'm sure some of them will find homes, but generally speaking, this decision just made it a very steep climb for 6 years worth of UND women hockey players.

The interesting thing to watch is what D1 coaches are going to do. What does a coach on the hot seat do if they can grab a better recruit off the UND commit list than what they've got coming in? In other words, are there coaches desperate enough to de-commit on a verbal to take on a better UND player?

This is a mess, and there are about 30+ current and future scholarship players and their families that are directly affected and having to deal with it right now. My sincere best wishes to them all.

Good points Puck Rush. If current coaches want climb in the standings they will surely make room for talented players. Big Ten schools are locked in with scholarships for 4 years but state schools are year to year on the scholarships. Not usually good business to run kids off but upgrade in talent is just that and helps them win.

Kings affiliate
    Bad precedent set here. St. Cloud has had budget issues also and could save themselves a million dollars in one fell swoop. Bad day for women's hockey.
    SCSU could not just cut the women's team because that's our Only D-1 women's sport.

Well, you've/they've got the Saudi's retribution to thank for that after you/they thank your government for devising the criminal petro-dollar arrangement in conjunction with the Saudis and then embarking on a dominate the planet crusade with their incompetent, dishonest and disastrous foreign policy over the last 25 years spinning such a lying tangled web that there was no way out eventually causing the Saudi's to feel betrayed and...you've got the North Dakota situation that you are referring to (in addition to many others including Canada). It's simple, but it's complicated, but it's simple.
    It's a lot simpler than that: commodity prices are volatile, full stop. They always have been, and they always will be. Any government that relies upon resource extraction as the basis of its revenue needs to keep that in mind during the boom times, but almost none of them ever do. Norway is the major exception to that.

Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    SCSU could not just cut the women's team because that's our Only D-1 women's sport.
    You are correct, D2 in other sports. I misspoke on that.

Good points Puck Rush. If current coaches want climb in the standings they will surely make room for talented players. Big Ten schools are locked in with scholarships for 4 years but state schools are year to year on the scholarships. Not usually good business to run kids off but upgrade in talent is just that and helps them win.
    So it's worse than I even thought. Not only can D1's de-commit on verbals for the next 2-3 incoming classes to take UND players, but the state schools can take away scholarships for existing students at will. Wow. This has huge ramifications.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckRush View Post
    So it's worse than I even thought. Not only can D1's de-commit on verbals for the next 2-3 incoming classes to take UND players, but the state schools can take away scholarships for existing students at will. Wow. This has huge ramifications.
    Not usually how you want to operate though. At OSU some players that were told they wouldn't be playing had the option to finish school with their scholarship level.

Schools have the option as to whether they want to make scholarships for a guaranteed four years, or whether they want to make them for one year only, with the option not to renew them for the next year. I believe that they must make a uniform choice for all athletes, not pick and choose by individual. All of the Big 10 schools guarantee them for four years.

This is actually a new thing. Until 2014, NCAA rules prohibited guaranteeing a scholarship beyond one year.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    I'm sure each player will be exploring and considering all of the options available, and then do what she believes is in her best interest. Obviously the younger and most talented will have the best opportunity to transfer and continue to play D1 at another school. As far as UND's committed recruits go, I would imagine they're fair game for other D1 coaches to contact and offer financial aid of some sort?
    I know this may sound simplistic but couldn't UND run a program on the cheap instead of cutting the team all together? $1.5 million sounds excessive. It would seem to me that the ice arena is already there for the women to use and it's one of the best facilities around. Hire one full time coach at 50K and a part timer at 10K. Slash, travel and equipment, recruiting and operating expenses to the bone. Provide only need based financial aid. I bet they could pull off a D1 program for 250K annually and possibly pull in a bunch of full pay out of state kids who want to be on the same sheet of ice as Minnesota and Ohio State. Not ideal but better than the alternative. Make the men's team take a 250K trim and you have the dough. It seems foolish to cut a sport that already has an amazing facility when that's half the battle for most universities. Bubble D1/3 kids from Minny would still want to go there and the team would still be better than almost all of the Hockey East schools beside BC. Thoughts?

Thread Information