Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Arafel View Post
    To add insult to injury, North Dakota had one woman commit over the weekend (she tweeted it), and TODAY had a player land at 12:30 CDT at the airport for a recruiting visit to North Dakota, according to Brad Schlossman, whom I trust. You CANNOT make this crap up. North Dakota administration is a bunch of idiots
    Wow! Sad state. Definitely not the way to conduct things.

Amy Menke
    @AmyMenke
    Headline in the Grand Forks Herald, yet we are all still sitting here waiting to be told that it is official. Awesome job @UNDsports
    Man, NoDak looks terrible here.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Gracen Hirschy has a tweet of the team on the ice today

https://twitter.com/ghirschy06

Shane Gersich
    @shane_gersich9
    They call UND a hockey school for a reason... that includes men's and women's. #Ridiculous
    Current sophomore on the men's team; that is an impressive tweet.

Hearing that this is effective immediately and NoDak will not field a team for the upcoming season.

Hearing that this is effective immediately and NoDak will not field a team for the upcoming season.
    Awful news all around. What does that mean for their players and players at other programs who may be out of their spot if their current team brings in a former North Dakota player? Does this turn into musical chairs between now and next fall or will the ND players not be able to find a home for 2017-18 and sit until 2018-19?
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Awful news all around. What does that mean for their players and players at other programs who may be out of their spot if their current team brings in a former North Dakota player? Does this turn into musical chairs between now and next fall or will the ND players not be able to find a home for 2017-18 and sit until 2018-19?
    The players will be able to transfer for this coming season, but I imagine scholarships will be few and far between at this point.

As for musical chairs with players losing spots due to NoDak players transferring in -- I'm guessing that'll be a problem, yeah.

Official now per the press release -- team has been cut effective at the end of the '16-'17 academic year, so they will not field a team next season:

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/sta...86562697842688

The players will be able to transfer for this coming season, but I imagine scholarships will be few and far between at this point.

As for musical chairs with players losing spots due to NoDak players transferring in -- I'm guessing that'll be a problem, yeah.
    Not only that, they would need to redshirt a year first if they transfer to another WCHA team. Eastern teams could get a jolt.

Official now per the press release -- team has been cut effective at the end of the '16-'17 academic year, so they will not field a team next season:

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/sta...86562697842688
    First they change their name to something lame like the Fighting Hawks and now this?! This is terrible.

I am really curious how UND thinks they'll be able to pass Title IX cutting two womens programs but only cutting one mens program. There are a few different ways you can be in compliance, but with a roughly 50/50 mix of men and women in the student body and a football program that takes up a lot of resources/roster spots on the male side of things it's hard for me to see how they make this work legally.

I see that UND's golf program was saved thanks to private donations from similar cuts, and with the support the teams hockey program has, I wonder if someone would step forward to support the womens hockey team.

Of course, at this point, even if the program is saved, Its hard to see how it overcomes the damage of today's news, especially with how the team was(n't) informed.

Quote Originally Posted by crutch View Post
    Not only that, they would need to redshirt a year first if they transfer to another WCHA team.
    Guessing that would not apply in this case.

Registered Lunatic

Quote Originally Posted by Iceburg View Post
    Guessing that would not apply in this case.
    Correct. Sitting out a year within the conference only applies if your program still exists. For example, when Alabama-Birmingham cut football in 2014, those players could transfer within Conference USA without sitting out.
    "You can call me Pete, hockey isn't part of my given name."

Quote Originally Posted by Nowheresville View Post
    I am really curious how UND thinks they'll be able to pass Title IX cutting two womens programs but only cutting one mens program. There are a few different ways you can be in compliance, but with a roughly 50/50 mix of men and women in the student body and a football program that takes up a lot of resources/roster spots on the male side of things it's hard for me to see how they make this work legally.

I see that UND's golf program was saved thanks to private donations from similar cuts, and with the support the teams hockey program has, I wonder if someone would step forward to support the womens hockey team.

Of course, at this point, even if the program is saved, Its hard to see how it overcomes the damage of today's news, especially with how the team was(n't) informed.
    Probably because they cut men's baseball last year, and men's golf is up for the chop as well.
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

This really plays poorly on the school and the Athletics department. Good luck with your recruiting going forward. I really do feel for the girls and sincerely hope that all of them are successful with transfers to other more respectful programs! As for sitting out a year if they find a WCHA home, you would think that the rule would not apply in a situation like this one. Brutal.

Bad precedent set here. St. Cloud has had budget issues also and could save themselves a million dollars in one fell swoop. Bad day for women's hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    This really plays poorly on the school and the Athletics department. Good luck with your recruiting going forward. I really do feel for the girls and sincerely hope that all of them are successful with transfers to other more respectful programs! As for sitting out a year if they find a WCHA home, you would think that the rule would not apply in a situation like this one. Brutal.
    If the program does not exist there is no 1-year wait. While I won't miss the goon squad in green I do feel terrible for the women who committed there. Many could play on other programs but what about credits and I doubt there are scholarships just sitting there to be used. What a horrible thing for them. I don't know what UNDs options were, maybe this is the best they could do. About the only thing I could think would be to play one more year to give the kids a chance to shop around a little. But I suppose that would be pretty bleak for the team too.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Sad news for the hockey community.

I wonder if UND reached out to the Engelstad family because of it's past donations in Grand Forks and Thief River Falls. If UND did, and the family said NO because of the Sioux thing...that would be interesting.
    The Rock - Kessel 2020.

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Sad news for the hockey community.

I wonder if UND reached out to the Engelstad family because of it's past donations in Grand Forks and Thief River Falls. If UND did, and the family said NO because of the Sioux thing...that would be interesting.
    more likely they would say no because of the girl thing. I was really disappointed when we went to games there. There is a relatively small set of pictures for their national championships & huge images of formr players hoisting the Stanley Cup. Apparently the school only wants to be a farm team for the NHL.

(Comrade Fox)

Can we even call UND a university anymore? seems clear to me there's no class
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14
    Year of Graduation: \_(ツ)_/

UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

Men's: 17-16-2
    Women's: 4-15-2

Thread Information