Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Because D1 football brings prestige to the university and alumni donations. And it wouldn't be back to D2 for most of them, it would be from FBS (1A) to FCS (1AA). However, the arms race on salaries and video scoreboards and "amenities" for the Power 5 conferences is way out of hand. When the media rights bubble bursts, those programs will be in a world of hurt.

You want to run your schools athletic program on prestige alone, the BIG10 will do it with prestige and 2.64 billion dollars from ESPN and FOX.

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
      Does the team really need all that? Each kid gets two sticks, green pants and a green helmet, new uniforms every four years, scratch the strength coach and the academic advisors, pay out of pocket for your own swag, no travel for non conference games and one full time coach on the cheap. If I were running the department, they still have a team.
      according to The Wisconsin State Journal, WI had the highest operating expenses $640,000, followed by Penn state $590,000, Ohio State $565,000, and UND $545,000 in 2015/16

UND averaged 800 fans in an 11,600 seat arena, IOW less than 7% full
      they'd have to have over 4,000 fans paying the $7 ticket at each game to cover the operating expenses
      the men's team brings in about $350,000 each game y my estimate, give or take $50,000

even at WI the women's game brings in chump change and doesn't even begin to cover the cost
      but my guess is that Badger football, basketball, and hockey brings in a lot more than UND's big three revenue sports, a lot more
      Last edited by pokechecker; 03-31-2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
        Does the team really need all that? Each kid gets two sticks, green pants and a green helmet, new uniforms every four years, scratch the strength coach and the academic advisors, pay out of pocket for your own swag, no travel for non conference games and one full time coach on the cheap. If I were running the department, they still have a team.
        If you went this route, you might have a team, but you wouldn't have any games. No conference is going to want to have this team as a member, so all of your games will have to be non-conference. And, since you refuse to travel, you aren't going to find any non-conference teams that want to play you, either.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          according to The Wisconsin State Journal, WI had the highest operating expenses $640,000, followed by Penn state $590,000, Ohio State $565,000, and UND $545,000 in 2015/16

UND averaged 800 fans in an 11,600 seat arena, IOW less than 7% full
          they'd have to have over 4,000 fans paying the $7 ticket at each game to cover the operating expenses
          the men's team brings in about $350,000 each game y my estimate, give or take $50,000

even at WI the women's game brings in chump change and doesn't even begin to cover the cost
          but my guess is that Badger football, basketball, and hockey brings in a lot more than UND's big three revenue sports, a lot more
          So what is sport??

It's a chance for kids/people to compete at darts/lawn bowling/things with balls, black discs and pointed objects.

Really, most of us want to watch something and compare our talent to their talent. Pretty simple. As parents we pay the shot, the community pays the shot, the government pays the shot. If we want it, pay for it. USNWT is an example.

I'm a Canadian, and I want a strong US team, heck I want a strong team in every country that can figure out how to put the disc in the net!!

Name the money makers in NCAA (many football/basketball teams and a few hockey teams). There are scholarships for golf, fencing, crew, .... even band and cheerleading. None of these make $$'s.

It's an environment for the students. Take it all away, and what we have is school.

Happy to pay more in taxes for these players and other athletes than government folks taking trips to where ever.

The US has been and brain drain of people from around the world for a generation or 2, has been an athlete drain for the same amount of time. Once your great nation is not a destination of excellence, progress will cease.

Take a look, China is entertaining the NBA and NHL. Europe has great options for the hockey elite who are being put out to pasture based on costs and Caps.

Thursday was a great day for the USNWT, and a really bad day for NCAA women's hockey! Maybe a sign of the times to come. Time to buy Walmart shares.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
            I've been there for a women's game. Take your ticket to the usher and ask where your seat is and they'll say, "Anywhere you'd like."
            Then why the heck are they even paying ushers to be there...?!
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
              That's absolutely ridiculous. The ice is in, it's ready to go. Not much different than any other rink.
              Not so ridiculous.

There are costs putting on a game. Labor costs to man the place (though, like I said in another post, they don't need to pay for ushers to just tell you "Sit anywhere"), security, clean up, etc. Even if some of that is returned (concession stand labor vs. food sales, for instance), it still costs money to put a game on.

Plus, how much could the rink make if they rented the ice out to a youth program instead of three hours of "free" use by the college team?
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                alumni donations.
                This.

Alumni donations are ultimately what drives a lot of college sports decisions.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  and second, which school will benefit the most?
                  St. cloud, Mankato, Bemidji? somebody else?
                  Don't rule out D3 programs.

When other programs were shuttered (Findlay), a lot of players transferred to D3 schools, because they couldn't find a spot on a D1 team on such short notice.

Sure, the top players will find a D1 spot, but many others may find it a lot easier to just go with a D3 program and guarantee themselves a spot.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    I would imagine that current high school junior and USA U18 team member Gabby Hughes won't have any problem catching on with another team.

29 goals + 38 assists = 66 points in just 23 games for Centennial high school this past year.
                    http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/roster_players/15124081

Unfortunately the Gopher already have a rather large (6) incoming class already committed for 2018-19, so adding another would seem unlikely.
                    Clarkson is a fine place to play hockey. And I think they won a really big game recently... :-)
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                      I wonder if the school chose to cut hockey because it is so high profile that they expected a backlash. They can then turn around and say: find sponsors that will support the program and we'll bring it back......
                      See: Skidmore.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
                        Women's hockey is over everywhere if revenue has to cover expenses. UND had $25,306 in ticket sales against $2.1M in expenses.

http://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry...-million-2016/
                        Admission at Maine is free. Women's hockey program continues at a significant cost.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          I would imagine that current high school junior and USA U18 team member Gabby Hughes won't have any problem catching on with another team.

29 goals + 38 assists = 66 points in just 23 games for Centennial high school this past year.
                          http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/roster_players/15124081

Unfortunately the Gopher already have a rather large (6) incoming class already committed for 2018-19, so adding another would seem unlikely.
                          But can she add?
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            But can she add?
                            Hopefully better than me! LOL
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              Not so ridiculous.

There are costs putting on a game. Labor costs to man the place (though, like I said in another post, they don't need to pay for ushers to just tell you "Sit anywhere"), security, clean up, etc. Even if some of that is returned (concession stand labor vs. food sales, for instance), it still costs money to put a game on.

Plus, how much could the rink make if they rented the ice out to a youth program instead of three hours of "free" use by the college team?

Wow. I feel dumber just reading your posts. Facebook smileys

Agree with yourself please. It costs to play anywhere. The team is essentially getting free ice at Englestad but you think the women should play at a local high school (where they'd have to pay $500 for ice) to save money?

It's all a moot point anyway.

Comment

Kate Fagan on ESPN Outside the Lines just compared UND cutting Women's Hockey to UConn cutting women's basketball. "That's how dominant that program has been," she said.

Comment

Working...
                                X