Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

It's called a student visa. When you are done with school you have to return to your homeland.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    WOW! Thanks that is a lot of work & I appreciate your digging into it. I think it is only right that we recommend UND cut men's hockey in order to save the institution all that money. Where do these freeloaders get off thinking they can livre on the taxpayers dime like this?
    Thanks, I hope to have the complete information up within a week. Minnesota & Wisconsin are spending a lot of money to stay at the top of the women's programs.

Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    That's some interesting information Sean. I wonder if the "lease" fees for the Ralph are part of a shell game to put money somewhere else.
    I think that is unlikely. Starting 2015 that category stipulates it is for debt service, leases and rental fees on athletic facilities regardless of who is paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    (I would really like to see the menís 2016 financials to see if some of the debt service/leases cost was shifted from the menís team)
    I'm still working on entering a lot of data from one site, but I was on the UND athletic site today and looking around I found their 2016 NCAA Financial Report. I have updated the workbook with the additional information for 2016. The men increased ticket sales another $145 thousand, but the university provided direct support of almost $200 thousand (Rob Port specifically mentioned the direct support of the women's team). Contributions fell back to what they were in 2010, '11 & '13 (as an aside, BU is having a giving day today and as I write this the women's team has received $19,264 and the men's team has received $143,351 in contribution in the last 19 hours). Overall revenue dropped for the men by $250 thousand, even with the direct support payment by the university. On the expenses side athletic aid rose over $100 thousand, travel went up $145 thousand, and uniforms and equipment went up $60 thousand, but game day expenses dropped $450 thousand. The cost of using the Ralph dropped to $1.06 million from $2.23 million in 2015 (if you include the women's $400 thousand the total cost was $1.46 million, still over $600 thousand less). UND also started paying for athletes meals, a relatively modest $37,860 for the men, although that is 10 times what the school paid for the women (I guess the men eat 10 times as much as the women ). Overall expenses for the men dropped over $1.6 million from 2015, but, even with the direct support they ran a loss of over $163 thousand and a loss for the sixth time in the the last seven years.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

Let's go Tech!

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    and there is the problem, not much in ND to pick up the tab, and we know the cheapskate Canadians won't kick in a dime
    that's the problem with filling your team with Canadians or Europeans, especially women, they do not stick around, rather go back home

I'd be willing to bet the team does nothing to boost attendance of Canadians, nor increase donations among Canadians
    I'm sure there occasional exceptions, but typically as mentioned above, they do not become a part of the community
    The success of the men's team has a direct effect on donations. We've yet to have enough evidence to see if the success of the women's team increases donations. As far as a "part of the community", the women's team is VERY active in the Potsdam community.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    The success of the men's team has a direct effect on donations. We've yet to have enough evidence to see if the success of the women's team increases donations. As far as a "part of the community", the women's team is VERY active in the Potsdam community.
    I meant stick around after their playing days are over
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

Let's go RED!

So it seams like there is some sort of attempt to fight the shutdown, but the UND Prez said cuts are final. Interesting, I doubt there is enough public opinion in ND to turn the tide, from what I have ready anyway.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I didn't even mean regarding NoDak's finances -- I just mean that now that this announcement has been made, and recruits are going elsewhere, and players are transferring out, it's probably too late for the university to change course even if it wanted to. No one would want to play for that program now.
    That was my initial thought too, but seems enough of them have limited options that increases the chance for a real fight.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/04/05/university-north-dakota-womens-hockey-cut?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Let's go Tech!

I meant stick around after their playing days are over
    How many players stick around their college town after their playing days are over? For that matter, how many college students do?
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

Secretary General of the German Hockey Federation email to Kennedy and Faison at UND:

pic.twitter.com/jh3d8KPfyL

(I think you have to cut and paste my link)

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Secretary General of the German Hockey Federation email to Kennedy and Faison at UND:

pic.twitter.com/jh3d8KPfyL

(I think you have to cut and paste my link)
    No cut and paste required.

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/sta...25947445293056
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Asking UND to reinstate the program is useless without...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mOKMq19zU

"It's over Johnny"

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie44 View Post
    Fixed...

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie44 View Post
    "It's over Johnny"
    Yep. No looking back now.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    the replies are spot on

I expect that from politicians
    first the Senators who never bought a ticket to a women's hockey game,
    now Herr Nitwit is fine with North Dakota footing the bill to educate and make theirr citizens better hockey players, how about a few Deutsche mark Herr Cheapshidt?
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

how about a few Deutsche mark Herr Cheapshidt?
    That would be Euros.

It is definitely over. Coach Idalski met with UND President Kennedy today in last ditch effort to find what would be needed to keep the program going.

UND President Kennedy's response, "Womens hockey is a boutique sport and never should have been at UND."

Great leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Pens4 View Post
    It is definitely over. Coach Idalski met with UND President Kennedy today in last ditch effort to find what would be needed to keep the program going.

UND President Kennedy's response, "Womens hockey is a boutique sport and never should have been at UND."

Great leadership.
    Is there a source for this?

(Comrade Fox)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Is there a source for this?
    This Facebook post by the Lamoureux twins mentions it: https://www.facebook.com/LamoureuxTw...890207/?type=3
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14
    Year of Graduation: Į\_(ツ)_/Į

UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

Men's: 19-17-2
    Women's: 6-15-3

/r/collegehockey moderator

I'm late to this since it happened as I headed to Plymouth for worlds, but everything I've heard is in direct opposition to the idea that this decision was announced as soon as it was made.

Not only did the story leak through rumors at least a full week before it went public, but the date for the budget announcement changed multiple times. I heard at least three different days where it was "going to happen." I don't think it's at all a coincidence that this was announced after all their winter sports teams had completed their seasons. I was told the announcement was first scheduled while the men's team was still playing and that was a big no go. It was a clear decision to make the announcement when none of their teams, athletes or coaches would be in a position to have to answer questions about it.
    It's a great day for hockey!

Quote Originally Posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    This Facebook post by the Lamoureux twins mentions it: https://www.facebook.com/LamoureuxTw...890207/?type=3
    Ooooooof

Thread Information