• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    deleted for brevity

Sean
    WOW! Thanks that is a lot of work & I appreciate your digging into it. I think it is only right that we recommend UND cut men's hockey in order to save the institution all that money. Where do these freeloaders get off thinking they can livre on the taxpayers dime like this?

Comment

blah blah blah
      thing is, who in the US outside of ND or in Canada would ever of heard of UND if not for their men's hockey program?

and there it is, if they had to pay for all the media space they get for their hockey team it would be anybody's guess what the total comes to as an average per year, but fair to say it is a lot $$$$$$

same with Clarkson, how can they justify putting a hockey team of Canucks together? well, they can't, unless it puts the school name in the media

Comment

Sean
        That's some interesting information Sean. I wonder if the "lease" fees for the Ralph are part of a shell game to put money somewhere else.
        Clarkson Golden Knights Men
        10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
        5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
        21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
        ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
        ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
        12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
        National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          thing is, who in the US outside of ND or in Canada would ever of heard of UND if not for their men's hockey program?

and there it is, if they had to pay for all the media space they get for their hockey team it would be anybody's guess what the total comes to as an average per year, but fair to say it is a lot $$$$$$

same with Clarkson, how can they justify putting a hockey team of Canucks together? well, they can't, unless it puts the school name in the media
          The hockey teams at Clarkson have been a big source of donations and yes, it gets the name out there. As far as a "team of Canucks", it's no secret that CCT appeals more to the Canadian players due to us just about being in Canada and the small town atmosphere that is more comfortable to some of the Canadian players.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Minnesota did announce it was cutting both golf programs and men's gymnastics years back, and then funding emerged and the programs were saved. I'd guess that North Dakota has fewer sources from which it can seek such a bailout. Maybe Marvin Windows can sponsor the team. The problem is that Grand Forks isn't that big, and outside of UND, hockey isn't that big of a deal in most of the state
            and there is the problem, not much in ND to pick up the tab, and we know the cheapskate Canadians won't kick in a dime
            that's the problem with filling your team with Canadians or Europeans, especially women, they do not stick around, rather go back home

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
            The hockey teams at Clarkson have been a big source of donations and yes, it gets the name out there. As far as a "team of Canucks", it's no secret that CCT appeals more to the Canadian players due to us just about being in Canada and the small town atmosphere that is more comfortable to some of the Canadian players.
            I'd be willing to bet the team does nothing to boost attendance of Canadians, nor increase donations among Canadians
            I'm sure there occasional exceptions, but typically as mentioned above, they do not become a part of the community
            Last edited by pokechecker; 04-05-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

It's called a student visa. When you are done with school you have to return to your homeland.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                WOW! Thanks that is a lot of work & I appreciate your digging into it. I think it is only right that we recommend UND cut men's hockey in order to save the institution all that money. Where do these freeloaders get off thinking they can livre on the taxpayers dime like this?
                Thanks, I hope to have the complete information up within a week. Minnesota & Wisconsin are spending a lot of money to stay at the top of the women's programs.

That's some interesting information Sean. I wonder if the "lease" fees for the Ralph are part of a shell game to put money somewhere else.
                I think that is unlikely. Starting 2015 that category stipulates it is for debt service, leases and rental fees on athletic facilities regardless of who is paying.

(I would really like to see the men’s 2016 financials to see if some of the debt service/leases cost was shifted from the men’s team)
                I'm still working on entering a lot of data from one site, but I was on the UND athletic site today and looking around I found their 2016 NCAA Financial Report. I have updated the workbook with the additional information for 2016. The men increased ticket sales another $145 thousand, but the university provided direct support of almost $200 thousand (Rob Port specifically mentioned the direct support of the women's team). Contributions fell back to what they were in 2010, '11 & '13 (as an aside, BU is having a giving day today and as I write this the women's team has received $19,264 and the men's team has received $143,351 in contribution in the last 19 hours). Overall revenue dropped for the men by $250 thousand, even with the direct support payment by the university. On the expenses side athletic aid rose over $100 thousand, travel went up $145 thousand, and uniforms and equipment went up $60 thousand, but game day expenses dropped $450 thousand. The cost of using the Ralph dropped to $1.06 million from $2.23 million in 2015 (if you include the women's $400 thousand the total cost was $1.46 million, still over $600 thousand less). UND also started paying for athletes meals, a relatively modest $37,860 for the men, although that is 10 times what the school paid for the women (I guess the men eat 10 times as much as the women ). Overall expenses for the men dropped over $1.6 million from 2015, but, even with the direct support they ran a loss of over $163 thousand and a loss for the sixth time in the the last seven years.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

and there is the problem, not much in ND to pick up the tab, and we know the cheapskate Canadians won't kick in a dime
                  that's the problem with filling your team with Canadians or Europeans, especially women, they do not stick around, rather go back home

I'd be willing to bet the team does nothing to boost attendance of Canadians, nor increase donations among Canadians
                  I'm sure there occasional exceptions, but typically as mentioned above, they do not become a part of the community
                  The success of the men's team has a direct effect on donations. We've yet to have enough evidence to see if the success of the women's team increases donations. As far as a "part of the community", the women's team is VERY active in the Potsdam community.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

The success of the men's team has a direct effect on donations. We've yet to have enough evidence to see if the success of the women's team increases donations. As far as a "part of the community", the women's team is VERY active in the Potsdam community.
                    I meant stick around after their playing days are over

Comment

So it seams like there is some sort of attempt to fight the shutdown, but the UND Prez said cuts are final. Interesting, I doubt there is enough public opinion in ND to turn the tide, from what I have ready anyway.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        I didn't even mean regarding NoDak's finances -- I just mean that now that this announcement has been made, and recruits are going elsewhere, and players are transferring out, it's probably too late for the university to change course even if it wanted to. No one would want to play for that program now.
                        That was my initial thought too, but seems enough of them have limited options that increases the chance for a real fight.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/04/05/university-north-dakota-womens-hockey-cut?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Comment

I meant stick around after their playing days are over
                          How many players stick around their college town after their playing days are over? For that matter, how many college students do?

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

• Secretary General of the German Hockey Federation email to Kennedy and Faison at UND:

pic.twitter.com/jh3d8KPfyL

(I think you have to cut and paste my link)

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                              Secretary General of the German Hockey Federation email to Kennedy and Faison at UND:

pic.twitter.com/jh3d8KPfyL

(I think you have to cut and paste my link)
                              No cut and paste required.

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/sta...25947445293056
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Asking UND to reinstate the program is useless without...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mOKMq19zU
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X