Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    The minute you resort to feeble attempts at condescension you've lost.

But, yes, Title IX is far more than scholarship numbers. That's why one hires BD to review everything before it's rolled out. BD makes sure what you're doing now is aligned, because you know the challenge will come.

And are you sure those numbers would be considered aligned given other factors, say, like in FY17 UND no longer sponsors baseball. UND had to do something after eliminating baseball. Participation numbers are misaligned.

And you don't know what I know.
    A) The condescension was earned, enjoy it.
    OR
    B) It would be up to you to let us know what you know. Failing that go back to A

It is enlightening to note you have 11,000 comments on USCHO but none on the womens forum until a couple weeks ago. Overcompensating for something?
    Last edited by ne7minder; 04-22-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Why are we still arguing about this? As disappointing as it is, it's over, the team ain't coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        It would be up to you to let us know what you know.
        I did tell folks what I know and got disparaged for that, namely, UND was out of Title IX balance (against men) before cutting baseball in spring 2016. Cutting baseball made it worse.

I know the State mandated cuts to all budgets in the State.

I know that Baker Donelson was brought in to audit the moves before they were made to make sure when the real audit comes (US OCR) it goes smoothly.

I know that WIH was the most net expensive sport on campus per player.

I know that UND's plan is to re-invest a significant portion of the cuts back into Summit League sports as part of the move from the Big Sky to the Summit. That's why UND cut far more than the amount the state mandated.

I also know that an NAIA in the state (Dickinson State U) is looking at cutting at least two sports and shutting down a nursing program and an academic program. They're getting hit with a 30% funding chop; but that's only $8.8 million for that school. Yes, right now, in this state, $8.8 million is serious news in state and higher ed funding. UND cut about $3 million of red ink from just Athletics. Welcome to current North Dakota budgets.
        Last edited by The Sicatoka; 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          It is enlightening to note you have 11,000 comments on USCHO but none on the womens forum until a couple weeks ago. Overcompensating for something?
          I got tired of reading this thread so full of emotions and half-truths so I knew it was time to bring some facts to the conversation.

Next, I didn't post in women's hockey because I didn't have much to say about it. I'll plainly state I went to few games. Why? I found the speed and skill comparable to ND East Region HS hockey at best. I could watch that without a nearly 200 mile round trip to a game.

And if anyone here is overcompensating I'd say it's the one continuing with the ad hominems.
          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 04-23-2017, 02:16 PM.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by pucko View Post
            Why are we still arguing about this? As disappointing as it is, it's over, the team ain't coming back.
            Pucko's right. Montgomery Gentry can explain.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

This thread is the worst, Burr.
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I got tired of reading this thread so full of emotions and half-truths so I knew it was time to bring some facts to the conversation.

Next, I didn't post in women's hockey because I didn't have much to say about it. I'll plainly state I went to few games. Why? I found the speed and skill comparable to ND East Region HS hockey at best. I could watch that without a nearly 200 mile round trip to a game.

you pretty much lost all credibility with this statement

now maybe if you pull your head out of your rear end and use your brain as gawd intended you could explain why you really didn't go to any games. If it's too tough for you, I'll help you out and make it multiple choice:
                1) I like watching girls, but not covered up with hockey equipment
                2) watching girls with more athletic ability then me makes me feel like less of a man
                3) I go to athletic events to be seen, since few go, there's nobody to see me
                4) I've never actually been to an NCAA women's hockey game
                5) I'm banned from the Ralph for inappropriate behavior in the men's room
                6) I've never actually been out of my mothers house since the six years it took me to complete high school

Comment

In person or on television, by direct observation, I found the speed and skill comparable to boys ND East Region HS hockey at best.

Don't believe me. Believe the women US Olympians:

Johnson, the American women’s coach, sought the same thing from Minnesota high school teams.

“When we play the boys’ teams, the speed of the game is quicker than other competition that we might have played,” Johnson said. “The strength of 17-, 18- and 19-year-olds is going to be a little bit stronger than what we see in practice. A lot of those little things that as a coach you like to see in a competitive atmosphere are there when you play a boys’ team.”
                  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/sp...25whockey.html

So, there it is: the Olympians seek out MN boys HS programs and find the speed of the game is quicker.
                  Ratchet down Olympic to NCAA and MN to ND boys HS and there it is.

And your attempts at ad hominem are lacking.
                  Last edited by The Sicatoka; 04-24-2017, 02:17 PM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

In person or on television, by direct observation, I found the speed and skill comparable to boys ND East Region HS hockey at best.

Don't believe me. Believe the women US Olympians:
                    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/sp...25whockey.html

So, there it is: the Olympians seek out MN boys HS programs and find the speed of the game is quicker.
                    Ratchet down Olympic to NCAA and MN to ND boys HS and there it is.

And your attempts at ad hominem are lacking.
                    Boys/men are bigger and stronger and faster than girls/women. What is that, a news flash? Does somebody expect the women's national team to play the men's olympic team? What is the point of your remark?

No point other than a gratuitous shot at the kids that have already been embarrassed, humiliated and had their lives turned upside down by the University of North Dakota pulling the rug out from under them.

Women's hockey does not have surplus support. Wow, another news flash. I, and hopefully most of the posters here, think women's hockey deserves a spot of 35 or 40 teams in NCAA D1 and will defend the game. I'll say it again, I think women's hockey deserves a place in D1..cheaper isn't always better. Thank you to, and thank goodness for the schools that are saying 'yes' to women's hockey. I think it's a great sport and I like the kids that are playing and am glad they have a chance to play.

Real nice Act II of President Kennedy to mention how "women's hockey should never have been at UND". Hopefully he contacted all of the kids who played up there and gave their all and loved their team and their school and that he shared that little tidbit with them personally. A nice little extra twist of the knife and a nice little extra touch of humiliation!

Thanks Sicatoka (hahaha) for your careful correction of all the half-truths that were being posted here, and maybe at this point you can consider your work here done and take this opportunity to get lost!

Comment

so, you don't enjoy boys HS hockey either?

serious question, you sound like a solid supporter of UND men's hockey, do you support other UND sports? are you a fan of the NHL?
                      why do you draw the line between boys HS/women's college and men's college hockey, the former apparently is uninteresting, the latter sounds like you pay big bucks to watch

smart move to backtrack on your statement, I was going to say that your comment was more a measure of your knowledge of hockey, since you couldn't differentiate between two obviously different levels of hockey. Only somebody unfamilar with the game wouldn't be abble to detect a difference between girls HS and women's college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        This thread is the worst, Burr.

Yeah . . . or the best. The in-house sexist (the undergraduate writer as “princess”) vs. the interloper (the undergraduate writer as disingenuous and/or clueless). Some fans' psyches are even more puzzling than Title IX numbers.

Comment

And if anyone here is overcompensating I'd say it's the one continuing with the ad hominems.
                          SO you have no interest in womens hockey until people post emotion stuff? Interesting, you *just happened* to drop by & check. Do you do that often or just this once? You might have more credibility if A) you knew what you were talking about or B) you were a regular here who had demonstrated a concern for the game. So crawl back under your bridge, you certainly earned your goat.

Comment

If someone can show me a fiscally responsible balanced budget for the 2017-2019 state legislative biennium for UND to:

- add 13 scholarships to women's sports to meet the demands of the Summit League (UND leaving Big Sky in 2018 to save on travel costs* **)
                            - balance the M/W opportunities, be Title IX compliant, after cutting baseball* in spring 2016 (when that team was on the field playing a home game)
                            - balance M/W grants in aid, be Title IX complaint, while doing the above (adding 13 women's, dropping 5 men's)
                            - cut an additional $1.3 million out of the FY18 annual Athletics baseline budget (after chopping baseball and reallocating grants) and beyond per the funding cuts from the ND Legislature
                            - maintain the required sport sponsorship for Summit membership
                            - maintain 16 NCAA sports to remain NCAA DI qualified
                            - be balanced (no deficit spending, no pushing debt to future budgets)

I'd be happy to see it. (Notice all I put on the table is baseball is gone. Please start at the NCAA FY16 report from UND and reallocate from there.)

Please send copies to Mark Kennedy and Brian Faison at UND as well.

*per 2015-2017 state biennium budget cuts
                            **Summit is all bus travel; Big Sky is all air travel;
                            Last edited by The Sicatoka; 04-25-2017, 09:08 AM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

If someone can show me a fiscally responsible balanced budget for the 2017-2019 state legislative biennium for UND to:

- add 13 scholarships to women's sports to meet the demands of the Summit League (UND leaving Big Sky in 2018 to save on travel costs* **)
                              - balance the M/W opportunities, be Title IX compliant, after cutting baseball* in spring 2016 (when that team was on the field playing a home game)
                              - balance M/W grants in aid, be Title IX complaint, while doing the above (adding 13 women's, dropping 5 men's)
                              - cut an additional $1.3 million out of the FY18 annual Athletics baseline budget (after chopping baseball and reallocating grants) and beyond per the funding cuts from the ND Legislature
                              - maintain the required sport sponsorship for Summit membership
                              - maintain 16 NCAA sports to remain NCAA DI qualified
                              - be balanced (no deficit spending, no pushing debt to future budgets)

I'd be happy to see it. (Notice all I put on the table is baseball is gone. Please start at the NCAA FY16 report from UND and reallocate from there.)

Please send copies to Mark Kennedy and Brian Faison at UND as well.

*per 2015-2017 state biennium budget cuts
                              **Summit is all bus travel; Big Sky is all air travel;
                              I'd let it go, Sic. You made the same mistake I did a few weeks ago. I wandered into this curious little area on USCHO apparently reserved for the seventeen posters interested in only posting in women's hockey forums. Candidly, I had no idea it was so provincial, but discovered as much when I was told in no uncertain terms I was not welcome here.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                I'd let it go, Sic. You made the same mistake I did a few weeks ago. I wandered into this curious little area on USCHO apparently reserved for the seventeen posters interested in only posting in women's hockey forums. Candidly, I had no idea it was so provincial, but discovered as much when I was told in no uncertain terms I was not welcome here.
                                I can only speak for myself, but I welcome ideas and new posters (I've only been on here for a year myself!). I would imagine tempers run a little hot in any forum when you talk about cutting programs.....

Comment

Working...
                                X