• Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Edit: Behold the power of "the jinx".
    It's Kate Fagan's fault!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      How about a women's hockey tie-in?

UCONN point guard Kia Nurse is the first cousin of Wisconsin forward Sarah Nurse.

Edit: Behold the power of "the jinx".
      Wow that's something. Every time I heard the name I was like Nurse? Hockey? What?
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
        True statement. As long as she puts them behind UM, UMD, Wisconsin, Clarkson, and BC. Other than that, it's a perfectly valid statement.
        Don't forget Harvard.

The school cutting the program wasn't the screw up, given their options. It was how it was handled.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
          Kate Fagan on ESPN Outside the Lines just compared UND cutting Women's Hockey to UConn cutting women's basketball. "That's how dominant that program has been," she said.
          So what is worse, a person who knows nothing about women's college hockey screwing up about college hockey or a entity that knows everything about the US women's team getting where the players go/went to school wrong?

I tried to watch the game in the 3rd period on the desktop and the feed kept seizing up. ERRR.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I was seeing some sympathetic support for UND women's hockey happening over in the UND men's thread when it was very effectively shut down as wholly off-topic and irrelevant to the men's program, I guess so that they could get on with the business of discussing the men's off season.

Another symptom or part of the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
              I was seeing some sympathetic support for UND women's hockey happening over in the UND men's thread when it was very effectively shut down as wholly off-topic and irrelevant to the men's program, I guess so that they could get on with the business of discussing the men's off season.

Another symptom or part of the problem?
              I checked in with Schlossmann's twitter a few times throughout the year, as I saw him a women's hockey supporter or at least a valuable resource to the women's hockey community as the hockey beat writer for the Grand Forks Herald. It seemed to me he was regularly dealing with local "hockey fans" who were more or less attacking the women's game and basically lobbying for the program to be shut down. I found it very unpleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                Don't forget Harvard.

The school cutting the program wasn't the screw up, given their options. It was how it was handled.
                I disagree. They let everyone know as soon as possible. Their only other choice was to keep it secret, and wait, and that would be worse.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                  I disagree. They let everyone know as soon as possible. Their only other choice was to keep it secret, and wait, and that would be worse.
                  Incredible lack of planning, 'though. To cancel a program on such short notice suggests that the Athletic Dept at UND is not exactly forward thinking. It is not as if the financial difficulties appeared without warning.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                    Incredible lack of planning, 'though. To cancel a program on such short notice suggests that the Athletic Dept at UND is not exactly forward thinking. It is not as if the financial difficulties appeared without warning.
                    Why drag it out. Once the axe fell, tell everyone so they can move on, if that's what they want.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      During the regular season, UND women regularly drew crowds of 700, 800, 1000.

And their men's team led the nation in attendance. Like it or not, profitable men's teams provide the funding for unprofitable teams -mens and women's - at LOTS of schools. Hockey at UND pays for itself, overall.

(And BTW: the UND web site shows 951 for the final regular season game, and 344 for the final WCHA playoff game.)
                      Given that MN womens budget is $2.3mm i would not assume that UND men pay for themselves. I am sure that their expenses ate greater in every catagory. At 11000 a game I doubt ticket prices are that high. I imagine that there is a broadcast contract too but I bet it doesn't bring in a megabuck.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                        Given that MN womens budget is $2.3mm i would not assume that UND men pay for themselves. I am sure that their expenses ate greater in every catagory. At 11000 a game I doubt ticket prices are that high. I imagine that there is a broadcast contract too but I bet it doesn't bring in a megabuck.
                        They appear to do Friday/Saturday pricing, with Saturday costing more. $40 adult, $25 youth on Friday; and $49 adult, $30 youth on Saturday. On average, almost twice what Wisconsin charges for men's games.

19 regular season home games, 11000 average crowd, let's say $40 average per ticket means $8.36 million, before we start talking about concessions, and parking, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          They appear to do Friday/Saturday pricing, with Saturday costing more. $40 adult, $25 youth on Friday; and $49 adult, $30 youth on Saturday. On average, almost twice what Wisconsin charges for men's games.

19 regular season home games, 11000 average crowd, let's say $40 average per ticket means $8.36 million, before we start talking about concessions, and parking, etc.
                          Those revenues would be offset by their facility costs: at $1/year, that works out to more than a nickel per game, just for the rent.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            Wow that's something. Every time I heard the name I was like Nurse? Hockey? What?
                            There is another one playing in the NHL. (Oilers), and he is a brother to one of them and a cousin to the other. One of their dads is a former CFL'er and Donovan McNAbb is an uncle to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                              There is another one playing in the NHL. (Oilers), and he is a brother to one of them and a cousin to the other. One of their dads is a former CFL'er and Donovan McNAbb is an uncle to them.
                              What an underachieving family... :-)
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...-womens-hockey

I would take either Lam over Kennedy in any fight at any adult age, no question.

Lamoureux twins send UND president a letter, prepare to fight for women's hockey program

President Mark Kennedy,

As alumnae of the University of North Dakota, former players of the UND Women's Hockey team, and current members of the USA Women's National Team, we are disappointed in your decision to cut women's hockey at this University. After a historic day for women's hockey on March 28th where the U.S. Women's National Team won our fight for equitable support and fair funding from USA Hockey, women's hockey took a step back with the announcement of the elimination of UND Women's Hockey on March 29th.

This decision to cut the only NCAA women's hockey team in the state is detrimental to girls hockey, not only in North Dakota, but for the entire region (U.S. and Canada). Young girls cannot become what they cannot see. To take away the most visible platform for young players to dream of reaching in the state and region will have a generational effect on this sport.

To think this won't impact girls hockey in this region is simply naive. This will impact the WCHA, NCAA, and will send ripples across women's hockey globally. UND has nine current and former players competing right now in the 2017 Women's IIHF World Championships. UND has nine players that have competed in the Olympics. In the 2018 Olympics, UND could potentially have 12 players from four different countries competing on the world stage. To say this decision only affects the region would be an understatement. How rare is it to be able to turn on your TV every four years and watch Olympic athletes compete that also represent your University?

As alumnae, we ask that you reconsider the position you have taken. We ask that you consider the impact this will have in the NCAA and the younger generation who dream of putting on their own green and white jersey. We ask that you reconsider your decision and keep the dreams of young girls around the world who dream of playing in the Olympics and will use UND as an avenue to get there.

Finally, we ask that you consider the impact WE as a national team have on women's hockey around the world and continue to support the Olympic level athletes that outnumber any other program in UND history.

Jocelyne and Monique Lamoureux

Comment

Working...
                                X