Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Since this is a women's hockey forum I've limited my remarks about other sports at UND, but I do want to point out, and as you should well know, there is another sport at UND that has been a fiscal drain on the Athletic department for a long time, with yearly loses between $1.86 and $2.74 million from 2010 to 2016 for a total loss of $16 million. That sport is football. For the same period women's hockey lost between $854 thousand and $1.9 million yearly, for a total loss of $8.7 million. So which sport is the bigger drain on Athletics?

Sean
    since football serves over 3 times as many student athletes, and I'd be willing to bet it also serves at least 10 times as many students/alumni who attend and follow games
    women's hockey is the bigger drain

make that was, it is over
    Last edited by pokechecker; Yesterday at 06:21 PM. Reason: just a little over 55,000 more posts and you can put a fork in this thread
    mansplainin' from the land of 10,000 lakes to 10,000 loons

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    The numbers do account for the human impacts. I previously showed how cutting other sports at UND would've impacted far more student-athletes.
    And that's where you lose me. The numbers substantiate that this was one of (potentially a few) paths possible to solve a financial dilemma.

The human impact is the toll the decision has taken on those directly affected. The human impact of the decision is a junior having to decide if she hangs up her skates and pockets the scholarship or tried to land spot somewhere else. It's the senior crying herself to sleep because her last year (which she has been looking forward to from day 1) is being taken away from her.
    That's the human impact, what you're talking about is a business decision.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

exactly, UND administration cut WH to minimize the number of students crying themselves to sleep.

Isn't part of the purpose of participating in sports to teach life's lessons? I understand some of you find keeping score ghastly, but a game and a season is life in miniature, it's all pretend, nobody dies, everyone gets a do over, how you react to failure and loss ...
    mansplainin' from the land of 10,000 lakes to 10,000 loons

southpaw

Since this is a women's hockey forum I've limited my remarks about other sports at UND, but I do want to point out, and as you should well know, there is another sport at UND that has been a fiscal drain on the Athletic department for a long time, with yearly loses between $1.86 and $2.74 million from 2010 to 2016 for a total loss of $16 million. That sport is football. For the same period women's hockey lost between $854 thousand and $1.9 million yearly, for a total loss of $8.7 million. So which sport is the bigger drain on Athletics?

Sean
    That is where the Champions Club donations come into play. The six best non-students sections all require a Champions Club membership to buy season tickets for football. The lowest donation is $200 which gets you 4 seats in the outer sections. The lowest donation for the center section is $3,750 for up to 12 tickets. $7,500 and up gets you 16 tickets. Those numbers are in addition to the ticket prices which were raised during the offseason to $95 and $80 depending on section.

Kichizapi Chetan

Again, in UND's reporting methodology, only direct ticket sales are reported on the NCAA reports as ticket revenues. It doesn't not include required Champions Club "donations" to purchase season tickets. Those donations are listed under "unallocated". Add those in and numbers look better. (And I plainly admit "better", not great.)

And, as a people impact, with a 100 person roster, FB loses nominally $27k per participant (the $2.7M number), versus WIH losing $76k per participant (using 25 skaters and the $1.9M number).
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    ... letting his peepee do his thinking ...
    The mentality you refer to, I prefer to think of it more as thinking as a big, swingin' "richard" (peepee is so second grade) mindset.

Now, if I, or anyone for that matter, was using that mindset they'd be saying with much bravado:

Ain't nothin' need be cut or gonna be cut 'cause we ain't got no problems. We're just fine. Matter of fact, we're untouchable. And the money'll come back because it just will. And because we exist our existence is forever justified no matter the cost to anyone else. We stand alone on our own merit just because and nobody can tell us otherwise. If you think you can touch us you're a rube because you just don't get it. Now get the hell out of here because we don't care about facts or fancy-schmancy economics or budgets. That's not important. We like what we have so we're gonna keep it and anybody who tells us otherwise is flat wrong because we say so. So get the hell out of here. < spit chewing tobacco here >

That would be thinking with (your word) your "peepee".

Instead, I'm looking at sad facts and understanding how decisions were made.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Thread Information