Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Re: REPORT: North Dakota cutting women's hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    And as I understand it when the women's program being cut was brought up on the UND men's thread the poster(s) were told to go here. If that is correct than it seems to go both ways.

Sean
    I'd forgotten about that, but I think you are right. But I generally agreed with that. There was a specific topic on UND cutting women's hockey, here in the women's threads, and I had no problem with requests that our posts be put here, rather than in the men's thread. That made sense to me.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pens4 View Post
    I think having a different perspective from someone like Sicatoka can add some value. He/she has obviously spent a lot of time researching this information and brings some numbers to light that are hard to ignore. It is inevitable that the discussion will go vitriolic when you go from stats & facts to observations of all things hockey.

As UND insider that has shared time with every athletic director and retained law firm for the past twenty years. I would like to get your thoughts on some of the pressures that might have led to this monumental decision to cut a hockey program at UND. You mention the champion club fee's generated $million's to unallocated revenues. As a result the MIH team accounting shows a $200,000+ loss. A conservative estimate of 4000 season ticket holders puts their unallocated revenue at $5m. That's in addition to the $3.7m in ticket sales. It obvious that MIH is the funding all the teams on campus.

Do you think that Faison & Kennedy would even think about cutting a sport that represents the identity of UND if they didn't first have the blessing or at least no objections from the Men's program? I've always liked Brad Berry as coach and a teammate but it sure seems like he threw the women's program under the bus without a fight or so much as professional tweet of sympathy to the women's staff and players. Even the MIH players that did come to the defense of their women counterparts were told to quickly remove their social media comments. Any thoughts?
    I would be shocked if Berry was consulted on the fate of the women's program, but I have no inside information. The fact that there have not been any tweets or public comments from the men's side, other than a couple of player's tweets which were quickly silenced, doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm not sure we've heard any public statements from the men's program supporting the discontinuance of the women's program either. Regardless of the success of the men's program, Berry and his staff are employed by the University at the pleasure of the AD. I'm not sure many people would come out taking public shots at their bosses in a situation like this.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping brookeyone move to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'd let it go, Sic. You made the same mistake I did a few weeks ago. I wandered into this curious little area on USCHO apparently reserved for the seventeen posters interested in only posting in women's hockey forums. Candidly, I had no idea it was so provincial, but discovered as much when I was told in no uncertain terms I was not welcome here.

it's not, I prefer to think of it as boutique
    the two that told you to leave don't represent everyone here, just 2/17ths of it, just like the protestors you see on TV, they make their demands, but who really cares what they think?
    perhaps they should read Robert Pirsig's (who died yesterday) "Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance"
    maybe they can add some Apollo to their Dionysus
    I was hoping I'd get an answer to why you don't like women's hockey
    maybe this athlete is more to your liking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XGI...XGIRLwcw4o#t=2
    I suggest full screen and good audio
    Last edited by pokechecker; Yesterday at 06:21 PM.
    I apologize for Timothy A.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'd let it go, Sic. You made the same mistake I did a few weeks ago. I wandered into this curious little area on USCHO apparently reserved for the seventeen posters interested in only posting in women's hockey forums. Candidly, I had no idea it was so provincial, but discovered as much when I was told in no uncertain terms I was not welcome here.
    I'll give you an explanation. I don't remember your posts specifically, but Sicatoka did everything possible to antagonize people. He wandered in here to tell that we are wrong and here's how things really are. Those of us who only read the women's boards had no idea who he is, and he had no established credibility. This did not stop him from expecting that we would take everything he said as gospel.

In short, it was a textbook case of mansplainin', albeit directed at women's hockey fans rather than necessarily at women themselves. There was no attempt at dialogue, just an assumption that he was an Authority and we all needed to listen.

He compounded that by making two fundamental errors, both classics of the mansplainin' genre. The first is that a significant chunk of what he posted, claiming that it was the real story that we had all been ignoring, in fact just repeated things that Sean Pickett had already laid out in detail. He either didn't bother to read the thread in which he thought we all had it wrong, or his attitude is that it hasn't really been said until the Big Bad Men's Hockey Poster has said it.

The second is that he also has claimed to understand things that he clearly doesn't. He makes statements that UND is out of title IX compliance, to the disadvantage of men, relying upon a single stat. He doesn't seem understand that there are many more things that are involved in Title IX compliance, or even that the disparity he cites in scholarship rates is well within the bounds of what the Department of Education considers to be "substantially equal". When this is pointed out, by someone who may not be a lawyer but has actually gone to the Code of Federal Regulations and read the rules regarding Title IX and athletics, he just continues to make the same point over and over without addressing any of the fallacies pointed out.

In short, if Sicatoka doesn't want to be treated like a complete *******, he'd be well served to stop behaving like a complete *******.

Thread Information