UMass Lowell Off-Season 2017: Next verse, same as the first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMass Lowell Off-Season 2017: Next verse, same as the first

Getting odd having all those good seasons in a row.

We pull the car back into the garage and we spend the off-season retooling and building a better monster.

This year's team was interesting. Took a little while to find its way... it took awhile to get their discipline under control. In the end they played like we thought they could but came up short when out opponent gave their all.

Its tough, when you aren't so good, every good performance is magic. When you get good only the end of the season gives any magic. This team has a lot of solid parts, we may lose CJ Smith but then again maybe we don't... depends how much he wants to play in the AHL. Wall has coughed up the occasional softie but has been solid for us overall and I hope the in between sees his development improve.

Hard to think we're done already, but then again, we have to believe we're hardly done.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Re: UMass Lowell Off-Season 2017: Next verse, same as the first

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    Getting odd having all those good seasons in a row.

We pull the car back into the garage and we spend the off-season retooling and building a better monster.

This year's team was interesting. Took a little while to find its way... it took awhile to get their discipline under control. In the end they played like we thought they could but came up short when out opponent gave their all.

Its tough, when you aren't so good, every good performance is magic. When you get good only the end of the season gives any magic. This team has a lot of solid parts, we may lose CJ Smith but then again maybe we don't... depends how much he wants to play in the AHL. Wall has coughed up the occasional softie but has been solid for us overall and I hope the in between sees his development improve.

Hard to think we're done already, but then again, we have to believe we're hardly done.
    This will see one of the largest point totals departing the Lowell program in a long time. I fully expect CJ to leave unfortunately.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Is it fair to say that was the best team Norm has had since he's been here?

Hellebuyck had an insane 940 sv% the seasons he was here. Wall was great this year, but not even close to that level.

Not making the Frozen Four with this team feels like a tremendous lost opportunity.
      Last edited by Middle Street; 03-28-2017, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Kapla signs ELC with New Jersey, will burn a year off it and debut this season
        Last edited by NU_Husky; 03-28-2017, 09:56 AM.
        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
          Kapla signs ELC with New Jersey, will burn a year off it and debut this season
          Devils Press Release: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devi...al/c-288164008

Edit: I've been informed that he's expected to be in the lineup the Devils Friday night against the Islanders.
          Last edited by ScottK; 03-28-2017, 10:18 AM.
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
            Is it fair to say that was the best team Norm has had since he's been here?

Hellebyuck had an insane 940 sv% the seasons he was here. Wall was great this year, but not even close to that level.

Not making the Frozen Four with this team feels like a tremendous lost opportunity.
            I feel that first hellebuyck ("buy" is my way of remembering the spelling) was the "golden year" and I just wonder what the hell happened to the game plan against Yale. That defense plus helly was unreal

We may have had a top team this year but that team was just so lock down
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
              ... Hard to think we're done already, but then again, we have to believe we're hardly done.
              Well said. Unfortunately we have some terrific player leadership leaving us this year, but if they did their job right (which I expect they did), these leaders left behind a solid culture that the next generation of leaders will embrace and perpetuate.
              University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                This will see one of the largest point totals departing the Lowell program in a long time. I fully expect CJ to leave unfortunately.
                That may be the case but look at what is departing league wide between graduation, early departures and a pretty decent team leaving all together. All things being equal I think you guys will be fine. Going to be a pretty senior laden squad the rest of us will have to go through.
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  I agree these are a lot of points, but the good thing is that we are likely returning a ton of experienced players, even if C.J. leaves. This freshman class has developed as well as any in the Bazin Era, with Lohin potentially competing for first or second team Hockey East starting next season. The depth is there for another deep run next season.

Comment

Gambardella to the Oilers
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015
                    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                      Gambardella to the Oilers
                      Edmonton Press Release: https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/oile...la/c-288172444
                      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                        Congrats to Joe! He has always been my favorite player to watch since his freshman year. He hustles every shift. While he may not be a flashy player, he plays hard and with determination. Been fun to see him progress as a player from when he first started.

Before the game on Sunday during team warmups, my wife and I were talking to a scout from the Flyers organization. One of the players he was keeping an eye on was Gambardella. I could have seen Joe easily becoming a fan favorite in Philly with his playing style if he went there. Anyway, best of luck to him!
                        University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

Bazin named Finalist for the Penrose.
                          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Sportsnet saying CJ may not end up signing this year
                            BS UMass Lowell 2015
                            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                              Sportsnet saying CJ may not end up signing this year
                              There's been various thoughts/rumors floating around regarding CJ from a variety of sources amongst the fan base the past several weeks. It would be fantastic to get his leadership and offensive output back next year, keeping the top line 2/3 intact. He has an opportunity to have a truly special senior year, both from a team and individual perspective, so many are hoping he stays.
                              Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                              Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                              Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Working...
                              X