Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

While the thought of Karr hiring Shyiak makes me laugh, I have a hard time seeing him doing much better at Northern than he did at Anchorage. While the alum factor counts for something, it's still a smaller school, with a smaller budget, in a smaller town, than UAA. Recruiting might be a little bit easier, but other than that I have a hard time seeing this working out for NMU. Assuming he gets the job in the first place.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

What gets me is how coaches are continually recycled in sports. I don't get it, they were fired for a reason in their previous position, what makes you think they will do any better this time, and let's be honest, 99% of the time they aren't any better, Shyiak is the perfect example of the recycling process.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
        What gets me is how coaches are continually recycled in sports. I don't get it, they were fired for a reason in their previous position, what makes you think they will do any better this time, and let's be honest, 99% of the time they aren't any better, Shyiak is the perfect example of the recycling process.
        Someone has to cart out Bill Belichick here as the counter-example.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          Someone has to cart out Bill Belichick here as the counter-example. GFM
          One of many. Though I believe in pro sports the management side has a bigger effect. ie GM picks the draft picks, I don't think ADs have much say in a recruit.

Comment

Unlike the recent NMU Football head coaching search process where NMU revealed the final (5) candidates to the public before they selected Kyle Nystrom for the job, NMU will not be revealing the final (5) hockey coach candidates that they've narrowed it down to according to a recent press release so we won't know who was in the running for the job at the end.... Anybody have any thoughts on this????

Comment

Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
              Unlike the recent NMU Football head coaching search process where NMU revealed the final (5) candidates to the public before they selected Kyle Nystrom for the job, NMU will not be revealing the final (5) hockey coach candidates that they've narrowed it down to according to a recent press release so we won't know who was in the running for the job at the end.... Anybody have any thoughts on this????
              I don't have a problem with it. Most if not all the candidates have decent jobs currently and don't want to jeopardize their current situation in the event they aren't chosen for NMU.

Comment

Best to keep it quiet. Many of the applicants are in the recruiting process and signing day is in the next week or so. Putting names out there does no one any good.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I really saw no need for Karr to have brought the football coach hiring process into the public. Was he hoping with the public buy in there would be greater attendance? Just win baby.

See who is coming into town this week for final interviews. My guess will know by Sat. the latest.

Comment

It would have been interesting to see who the final (5) candidates were/are in the hiring process....

Comment

It would have been interesting to see who the final (5) candidates were/are in the hiring process....
                      Interesting for fans to see, but not in the best interests of the candidates.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Ok, I'll admit it, I am one of the candidates for the position. I have absolutely no coaching experience outside of improv comedy, hell I've never played ice hockey. But, I can totally make **** up as I go along and make it sound convincing. I'm an alum and I can bull**** people enough to make them believe. And, I'm pretty sure that makes me 75% better than most of the candidates.

Also, I may not have the "WOW factor" but I'll sure as H E Double Hockey Sticks have a "*** factor."
                        Thinking that NMU is way better then your school with no evidence or proof since 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by tmoney@nmu View Post
                          Ok, I'll admit it, I am one of the candidates for the position. I have absolutely no coaching experience outside of improv comedy, hell I've never played ice hockey. But, I can totally make **** up as I go along and make it sound convincing. I'm an alum and I can bull**** people enough to make them believe. And, I'm pretty sure that makes me 75% better than most of the candidates.

Also, I may not have the "WOW factor" but I'll sure as H E Double Hockey Sticks have a "*** factor."
                          You're hired.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Someone has to cart out Bill Belichick here as the counter-example.

GFM
                            The hoodie also got insanely lucky with the six round pick of Tom Brady. When Bledsoe went down, anybody else that got on that field would have probably led to Belichick getting axed in a few seasons.
                            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                              The hoodie also got insanely lucky with the six round pick of Tom Brady. When Bledsoe went down, anybody else that got on that field would have probably led to Belichick getting axed in a few seasons.
                              They had a pretty good season with Matt Cassel (11-5) when Brady went down. They were 3-1 last year with Garappolo & Brissett when Brady was suspended. Maybe the hoodie knows something and isn't just lucky.

Comment

Northern Michigan's Salminen Signs With Vaasan Sport In Finnish Pro League

April 11th, 2017

VAASAN, Finland — Northern Michigan's Sami Salminen signed with Vaasan Sport, the organization announced Tuesday.

"By signing a contract with Vaasan Sport, I've achieved my dream to play in the highest league in my home country," Salminen said. "I'm excited to begin my professional career this upcoming season."

The (6'4" 225lb) Salminen played 95 games for the Wildcats, recording 30 points (9g-21a). He was a three-time WCHA Scholar-Athlete and Academic Team member.

Salminen posted a .588 career face-off percentage. He won a career-best 153 draws during his senior campaign.

A native of Helsinki, Salminen represented Finland in international competition at the U16, U17, U18 and U20 levels before his time at Northern Michigan. He also skated in the HIFK and Jokerit systems.

Vaasan Sport plays in the Liiga, the top professional ice hockey league in Finland. Salminen is the first Northern Michigan senior to sign with a European team this off-season.

Comment

Working...
                                X