Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Forrest Karr hires Dave Shyiak? I just... I mean...

Feels like an Inception plot.
    He may have to cut a compliance position or two to pay for it...but I'm sure he can make it work.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Has Ben Barr applied?, Personally does Shiak have the wow factor that Northern was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Has Ben Barr applied?, Personally does Shiak have the wow factor that Northern was looking for.
    What "wow factor" was NMU looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
    Shyiak was (80-177-33) in eight seasons as Alaska-Anchorage head coach, and never had a winning record. He was let go after a (4-25-7) season in 2012-13. After spending one season as an amateur scout, he joined Andy Murray's coaching staff at Western Michigan in 2014.
    I shoulda knocked on wood before mention the s-word.

If he his your next coach, good luck.

Guess his time as a scout for the Leafs didn't last that long.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    What "wow factor" was NMU looking for?
    Bigs with an edge was his strategy here, sprinkle in some gifted offensive players, don't break the mold?
    Last edited by AKSWF; 04-08-2017 at 03:08 AM.
    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

Yikes. Some of the comments from the locals is pretty telling; they're annoyed that Shyiak is the leading candidate. They're looking for an outsider with zero ties to NMU who can come in and Make Wildcat Hockey Great Again.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Yikes. Some of the comments from the locals is pretty telling; they're annoyed that Shyiak is the leading candidate. They're looking for an outsider with zero ties to NMU who can come in and Make Wildcat Hockey Great Again.
    Mike Babcock made the Red Wings great again. He's made the Toronto Maple Leafs good again. With that Lake State like budget, I don't think even he could make NMU hockey great again.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    Mike Babcock made the Red Wings great again. He's made the Toronto Maple Leafs good again. With that Lake State like budget, I don't think even he could make NMU hockey great again.
    Agreed. Was just pointing out how NMU seems to be in a no-win situation with the locals. Hire an outsider and they'll hear "Why wasn't Shyiak selected?" Hire Shyiak, and they hear how it's another Comley/Kyle disciple. If they increase the budget, they'll be questioned why the funding wasn't increased for Kyle. Keep the budget stagnant, and they'll hear how the new coach is behind the eight ball before he starts.

Shyiak does not sound like a good choice. You best hope the school sees that as well .

Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    Shyiak does not sound like a good choice. You best hope the school sees that as well .
    I think that, fundamentally, Shyiak is a good coach. He did have some success at UAA, and he recruited some awesome talent. I am not exactly sure where it all went wrong with him at UAA, but NO OTHER COACH has had a winning season there either. Having talked to him numerous times, I can say that he doesn't come off as a people person though.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I think that, fundamentally, Shyiak is a good coach. He did have some success at UAA, and he recruited some awesome talent. I am not exactly sure where it all went wrong with him at UAA, but NO OTHER COACH has had a winning season there either. Having talked to him numerous times, I can say that he doesn't come off as a people person though.
    For the first five/six years he did meh. Got close to .500 a couple of times, got us to the Final Five once. But I think that was due to Grant/Parky.

It would be a Walt Kyle type again.

While the thought of Karr hiring Shyiak makes me laugh, I have a hard time seeing him doing much better at Northern than he did at Anchorage. While the alum factor counts for something, it's still a smaller school, with a smaller budget, in a smaller town, than UAA. Recruiting might be a little bit easier, but other than that I have a hard time seeing this working out for NMU. Assuming he gets the job in the first place.

I love (goal) lamp

What gets me is how coaches are continually recycled in sports. I don't get it, they were fired for a reason in their previous position, what makes you think they will do any better this time, and let's be honest, 99% of the time they aren't any better, Shyiak is the perfect example of the recycling process.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    What gets me is how coaches are continually recycled in sports. I don't get it, they were fired for a reason in their previous position, what makes you think they will do any better this time, and let's be honest, 99% of the time they aren't any better, Shyiak is the perfect example of the recycling process.
    Someone has to cart out Bill Belichick here as the counter-example.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Someone has to cart out Bill Belichick here as the counter-example. GFM
    One of many. Though I believe in pro sports the management side has a bigger effect. ie GM picks the draft picks, I don't think ADs have much say in a recruit.

Unlike the recent NMU Football head coaching search process where NMU revealed the final (5) candidates to the public before they selected Kyle Nystrom for the job, NMU will not be revealing the final (5) hockey coach candidates that they've narrowed it down to according to a recent press release so we won't know who was in the running for the job at the end.... Anybody have any thoughts on this????

Unlike the recent NMU Football head coaching search process where NMU revealed the final (5) candidates to the public before they selected Kyle Nystrom for the job, NMU will not be revealing the final (5) hockey coach candidates that they've narrowed it down to according to a recent press release so we won't know who was in the running for the job at the end.... Anybody have any thoughts on this????
    I don't have a problem with it. Most if not all the candidates have decent jobs currently and don't want to jeopardize their current situation in the event they aren't chosen for NMU.

Best to keep it quiet. Many of the applicants are in the recruiting process and signing day is in the next week or so. Putting names out there does no one any good.

Really??!!

I really saw no need for Karr to have brought the football coach hiring process into the public. Was he hoping with the public buy in there would be greater attendance? Just win baby.

See who is coming into town this week for final interviews. My guess will know by Sat. the latest.

It would have been interesting to see who the final (5) candidates were/are in the hiring process....

It would have been interesting to see who the final (5) candidates were/are in the hiring process....
    Interesting for fans to see, but not in the best interests of the candidates.

Thread Information