Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Not sure RPI got who they wanted, look at their thread and not exactly happy but willing to give a chance.

I thought NMU has it narrowed down to LESS than 15 now? Implied that in the article. Found it interesting that NMU had 69 applicants seems high but don't really know, maybe that is typical.
    The number of apps isn't unusual. But typically, only 10-15 get more than a cursory look.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      I'm sorry to hear that. I went a couple of years without steady work, and I know how much it sucks.

GFM
      Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Jesus. I'm sorry. I too have been given a "no reason" layoff out of the blue, but that was six years ago. I truly feel bad for fans in Anchorage and Fairbanks for having to go through this rough time.
      Sounds like Omaha and RPI got the guys they wanted for coaches. MSU is down to two. And NMU now whittles away at the remaining 15.
      Thanks, unemployment is at least something.

I wonder if Shyiak applied?
      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
        Thanks, unemployment is at least something.

I wonder if Shyiak applied?
        He was the main one I was wondering about.
        2005-2006: 7-25-6
        2006-2007: 18-17-5
        2007-2008: 14-20-5
        2008-2009: 6-25-7
        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

College Hockey News Says Shyiak Has Inside Track On NMU Job????

April 7th, 2017

MARQUETTE - Dave Shyiak, currently an assistant coach at Western Michigan, has the inside track to become next head coach at Northern Michigan, sources tell College Hockey News.

Shyiak, who was head coach at Alaska-Anchorage from 2005-13, was one of 15 candidates that conducted video interviews. He is a Northern Michigan alumnus and part of the 1991 national championship team, and went on to become an assistant coach under Rick Comley and Walt Kyle at NMU from 1995-2005.

Comley and Kyle are the only two head coaches the program has ever had. Kyle was relieved of his duties following the conclusion of this season. Shyiak was a candidate when Comley left for Michigan State, though the job ultimately went to Kyle, another alum. Shyiak was a candidate for the Anchorage job twice before landing it the second time.

Northern Michigan is expected to announce a final decision next week. One potential holdup could be the financial terms. Shyiak has a good salary as far as assistant coaches go, while NMU has not put as much resources into its hockey program recently compared to other similar schools.

Shyiak was (80-177-33) in eight seasons as Alaska-Anchorage head coach, and never had a winning record. He was let go after a (4-25-7) season in 2012-13. After spending one season as an amateur scout, he joined Andy Murray's coaching staff at Western Michigan in 2014.

Comment

Forrest Karr hires Dave Shyiak? I just... I mean...

Feels like an Inception plot.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Forrest Karr hires Dave Shyiak? I just... I mean...

Feels like an Inception plot.
              He may have to cut a compliance position or two to pay for it...but I'm sure he can make it work.

Comment

Has Ben Barr applied?, Personally does Shiak have the wow factor that Northern was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                  Has Ben Barr applied?, Personally does Shiak have the wow factor that Northern was looking for.
                  What "wow factor" was NMU looking for?
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                    Shyiak was (80-177-33) in eight seasons as Alaska-Anchorage head coach, and never had a winning record. He was let go after a (4-25-7) season in 2012-13. After spending one season as an amateur scout, he joined Andy Murray's coaching staff at Western Michigan in 2014.
                    I shoulda knocked on wood before mention the s-word.

If he his your next coach, good luck.

Guess his time as a scout for the Leafs didn't last that long.

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    What "wow factor" was NMU looking for?
                    Bigs with an edge was his strategy here, sprinkle in some gifted offensive players, don't break the mold?
                    Last edited by AKSWF; 04-08-2017, 03:08 AM.
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Yikes. Some of the comments from the locals is pretty telling; they're annoyed that Shyiak is the leading candidate. They're looking for an outsider with zero ties to NMU who can come in and Make Wildcat Hockey Great Again.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        Yikes. Some of the comments from the locals is pretty telling; they're annoyed that Shyiak is the leading candidate. They're looking for an outsider with zero ties to NMU who can come in and Make Wildcat Hockey Great Again.
                        Mike Babcock made the Red Wings great again. He's made the Toronto Maple Leafs good again. With that Lake State like budget, I don't think even he could make NMU hockey great again.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                          Mike Babcock made the Red Wings great again. He's made the Toronto Maple Leafs good again. With that Lake State like budget, I don't think even he could make NMU hockey great again.
                          Agreed. Was just pointing out how NMU seems to be in a no-win situation with the locals. Hire an outsider and they'll hear "Why wasn't Shyiak selected?" Hire Shyiak, and they hear how it's another Comley/Kyle disciple. If they increase the budget, they'll be questioned why the funding wasn't increased for Kyle. Keep the budget stagnant, and they'll hear how the new coach is behind the eight ball before he starts.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Shyiak does not sound like a good choice. You best hope the school sees that as well .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                              Shyiak does not sound like a good choice. You best hope the school sees that as well .
                              I think that, fundamentally, Shyiak is a good coach. He did have some success at UAA, and he recruited some awesome talent. I am not exactly sure where it all went wrong with him at UAA, but NO OTHER COACH has had a winning season there either. Having talked to him numerous times, I can say that he doesn't come off as a people person though.
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                I think that, fundamentally, Shyiak is a good coach. He did have some success at UAA, and he recruited some awesome talent. I am not exactly sure where it all went wrong with him at UAA, but NO OTHER COACH has had a winning season there either. Having talked to him numerous times, I can say that he doesn't come off as a people person though.
                                For the first five/six years he did meh. Got close to .500 a couple of times, got us to the Final Five once. But I think that was due to Grant/Parky.

It would be a Walt Kyle type again.

Comment

Working...
                                X