Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
    https://nmu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_51Qtj4iAQvFgJb7?Q_CHL=social&Q_SocialSource=facebook

The Athletic Department put out this fan survey on Facebook this morning asking how the hockey game day experience can be improved. Check it out.

I know it's just a feedback survey and the odds of it happening are slim, but a 5 PM start time would feel odd to me.
    Winning improves the game day experience. Win and they will show up.
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

When I was a student I didn't get to go out to the bars until 10pm anyway (mostly house parties on Saturday's anyway because BYOB was cheaper) and then, the bars were still slow until like 11. But, that was also like 11 years ago...I have no idea what the kids and their pokemon are doing these days anyway.
      Thinking that NMU is way better then your school with no evidence or proof since 2001.

Comment

Bowling Green did 5:05 Saturday games several years ago and I hated it, especially when you like to attend men's and women's basketball games. It didn't last thank goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
          I just said it would feel odd, not that it wouldn't make sense. I'm sure I would get used to it. My question is how would this affect student attendance? The public is one thing, but most students would rather be at the bars on Saturday night. So I wonder if an early game would help student attendance.
          When Ferris did 5:00 starts on Saturdays a few years ago, I went and compared attendance. With the exception of when Michigan and MSU were in town, attendance was down 25% (almost right on the nose) when compared to Friday night games. The next year, Saturday night games were back to their normal 7 pm start, and attendance rebounded immediately.

Your mileage will vary, but if NMU goes to a 5 PM start on Saturdays, there WILL be a drop in attendance on those nights. It WILL be significant.
          Last edited by Hammer; 05-16-2017, 06:12 PM.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I received that survey via e-mail last week. For me personally, a 5 o'clock start would suck. Cutting any Saturday afternoon activities short so I can get to the BEC for a 5:07 faceoff would not be cool. I like the 7 pm start. Please no earlier than 6pm.

Comment

We did it for the 2009-2010 season. For some reason I can't pull up the FSU season thread I did for that year, but here is the schedule for that season, including start times and attendance when you click on the box score:

http://collegehockeystats.net/0910/schedules/fsum
              Last edited by Hammer; 05-16-2017, 07:40 PM.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I am obviously in the minority, but I would love an earlier Sat start time of 5 or so. Traffic isn't an issue, there's nothing ever really pressing on a Saturday afternoon that prevents you from being on time (like work), when the game is over you feel like less of a hurry to get out of there and if you want you can still go out to eat/drink whatever without busting midnight. If you're taking kids it's even more ideal.

But again I realize I'm clearly in the minority on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  and if you want you can still go out to eat/drink whatever without busting midnight.
                  However Late Night Happy Hour at Applebee's and BDubs with half off appetizers are popular post-game spots among our group at least.

I guess 5 o'clock has its pros and cons. We'll have to see where NMU goes with this survey.

Comment

Earlier starts suck in Huntsville as well. We used to have to do them — 3:00 and 4:00 as well — because of the joy of sharing the arena with the local semi-pro team.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

NMU HOCKEY SIGNS TWO MORE PLAYERS FOR 2017-18

Mitch Slattery
                      Forward
                      (6'0" 185lbs)
                      Lino Lakes, MN
                      Minnesota Magicians (NAHL)
                      Scored 20 Goals & 39 Assists for (59 points) in 54 games in 2016-17

Adam Roeder
                      Defenseman
                      (5'11" 185lbs)
                      St. Louis, MO
                      Janesville Jets (NAHL)
                      Scored 7 Goals & 25 Assists for (32 points) in 57 games in 2016-17

Comment

CURRENT NMU HOCKEY ROSTER FOR 2017-18

May 20th, 2017

(29) - Players
                        4 - Seniors
                        11 - Juniors
                        7 - Sophomores
                        7 - Freshmen

Sr. F Filip Starzynski (5'9" 180lbs) - Warsaw, Poland / Bismarck (NAHL)

Sr. F Zach Diamantoni (5'10" 170lbs) - Montgomery, NJ / Chilliwack (BCHL)

Sr. F Robbie Payne (5'11" 195lbs) - Gaylord, MI / Chicago (USHL)

Sr. D Jordan Klimek (5'11" 175lbs) - Langley, BC / Dubuque (USHL)

Jr. F Adam Rockwood (5'10" 165lbs) - Coquitlam, BC / Wisconsin (Big Ten) / Coquitlam (BCHL)

Jr. D James Vermeulen (6'2" 190lbs) - Stony Plain, AB / Whitecourt (AJHL)

Jr. D Connor Frantti (6'6" 205lbs) - Spring Grove, IL / Lincoln (USHL)

Jr. F Denver Pierce (5'11" 185lbs) - Sault Ste Marie, MI / Soo (NAHL)

Jr. F Troy Loggins (5'9" 160lbs) - Huntington Beach, CA / Sioux Falls (USHL)

Jr. F Brendan Jacques (5'10" 180lbs) - Calumet, MI / Springfield (NAHL)

Jr. F Anthony Paskaruk (5'10" 175lbs) - Airdrie, AB / Brooks (AJHL)

Jr. D Jesse Junttila (5'9" 170lbs) - Calumet, MI / Jersey (USPHL-Pr)

Jr. G Mathias Israelsson (5'10" 185lbs) - Ytterby, Sweden / Fargo (USHL)

Jr. G Atte Tolvanen (6'0" 190lbs) - Vihti, Finland / Minot (NAHL)

Jr. D Ryan Black (5'9" 170lbs) - Stillwater, MN / Bonnyville (AJHL)

So. G Tyger Howat (6'3" 200lbs) - Brighton, MI / Coquitlam (BCHL)

So. D Rylan Yaremko (6'3" 205lbs) - Spirit River, AB / West Kelowna (BCHL)

So. F Brett Heikkila (5'8" 170lbs) - Marquette, MI / Minnesota (NAHL)

So. F Luke Voltin (6'0" 195lbs) - Blaine, MN / Penticton (BCHL)

So. D Philip Beaulieu (5'10" 195lbs) - Duluth, MN / Madison (USHL)

So. F Darien Craighead (6'1" 170lbs) - Surrey, BC / Chilliwack (BCHL)

So. F Demico Hannoun (6'0" 195lbs) - North Delta, BC / Penticton (BCHL)

Fr. F Joseph Nardi (5'11" 175lbs) - Edmonton, AB / Whitecourt (AJHL)

Fr. F Caleb Schroer (5'9" 170lbs) - Wisconsin Rapids, WI / Coulee Region (NAHL)

Fr. F - Keegan Ward (6'2" 200lbs) - Galesburg, MI / Prince George (BCHL)

Fr. F - Dakota Boutin (6'0" 185lbs) - Moosomin, SK / Melfort (SJHL)

Fr. F - Mitch Slattery (6'0" 185lbs) - Lino Lakes, MN / Minnesota (NAHL)

Fr. D - Adam Roeder (5'11" 185lbs) - St. Louis, MO / Janesville (NAHL

Fr. D Robby Fosdick (6'1" 205lbs) - Brookfield, WI / Madison (USHL)

Comment

Possible NMU Top Offensive Lines & Defensive Pairings In 2017-18????

TOP THREE OFFENSIVE LINES
                          Sr. Robbie Payne (5'11" 195lbs)
                          Sr. Zach Diamantoni (5'10" 170lbs)
                          So. Darien Craighead (6'1" 170lbs)

Sr. Filip Starzynski (5'9" 180lbs)
                          Jr. Troy Loggins (5'9" 160lbs)
                          Jr. Adam Rockwood (5'10" 165lbs)

Jr. Denver Pierce (5'11" 185lbs)
                          So. Demico Hannoun (6'0" 195lbs)
                          So. Luke Voltin (6'0" 195lbs)

TOP THREE DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS
                          Sr. Jordan Klimek (5'11" 175lbs)
                          Jr. James Vermeulen (6'2" 190lbs)

So. Rylan Yaremko (6'3" 205lbs)
                          So. Philip Beaulieu (5'10" 195lbs)

Jr. Connor Frantti (6'6" 205lbs)
                          Jr. Ryan Black (5'9" 170lbs)
                          Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 05-21-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Ex-NMU Wildcats’ hockey coach Walt Kyle lands job with Newport Sports Agency as talent scout/recruiter????

May 22nd, 2017

MARQUETTE — Former Northern Michigan University hockey coach Walt Kyle lost his position back in March, but it didn’t take long for the Wildcats bench boss to find a new job.

However, it’s not in coaching. It’s with Newport Sports Management, which is an agency for pro hockey players that has a network all around the world from Canada to Scandinavia to Eastern Europe. It currently represents Detroit Red Wings players Petr Mrazek, Danny DeKeyser and Gustav Nyquist along with fellow NHLers Zach Parise, Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry, P.K. Subban, Bobby Ryan and Henrik Lundqvist just to name a few.

Kyle serves as a talent scout for the firm along with former Wildcat player Ed Ward, and recruits all over the country. He said he likes his new job because it allows him to stay in Marquette to help raise his family.

“I’m really happy with what I’m doing,” Kyle said. “Marquette is my home and I don’t have any plans of leaving. We’re really settled here.”

When asked if he wants to get back into coaching again, Kyle said he’s just enjoying his new job and not really thinking about it.

“I don’t know really,” he said. “I’m happy with everything right now and it’s a great job. I’ve coached for 36 years, so it’s nice to change things up a big and try something new.”

Comment

Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                              Ex-NMU Wildcats’ hockey coach Walt Kyle lands job with Newport Sports Agency as talent scout/recruiter????

May 22nd, 2017

MARQUETTE — Former Northern Michigan University hockey coach Walt Kyle lost his position back in March, but it didn’t take long for the Wildcats bench boss to find a new job.

However, it’s not in coaching. It’s with Newport Sports Management, which is an agency for pro hockey players that has a network all around the world from Canada to Scandinavia to Eastern Europe. It currently represents Detroit Red Wings players Petr Mrazek, Danny DeKeyser and Gustav Nyquist along with fellow NHLers Zach Parise, Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry, P.K. Subban, Bobby Ryan and Henrik Lundqvist just to name a few.

Kyle serves as a talent scout for the firm along with former Wildcat player Ed Ward, and recruits all over the country. He said he likes his new job because it allows him to stay in Marquette to help raise his family.

“I’m really happy with what I’m doing,” Kyle said. “Marquette is my home and I don’t have any plans of leaving. We’re really settled here.”

When asked if he wants to get back into coaching again, Kyle said he’s just enjoying his new job and not really thinking about it.

“I don’t know really,” he said. “I’m happy with everything right now and it’s a great job. I’ve coached for 36 years, so it’s nice to change things up a big and try something new.”
                              Good for him.

Comment

'Cats announce schedule change, will play UAH at home in December and have decided to warm up in Alabama the weekend after playing in Anchorage.

Balances out the travel a smidge, but lessens the home games late in the season.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X