Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    Tyler Walsh
    I was thinking of Tyler Eaves from the Eaves family. He was here as a volunteer assistant / hockey ops guy and followed Danton to AA for a while as one of their strength guys.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
      Does anyone think NMU can get (15) goals out of Jr. Forward Troy Loggins (5'9" 160lbs) and/or Jr. Forward Adam Rockwood (5'10" 165lbs) in 2017-18????
      Loggins had 10 last year and Rockwood is a strong player who will be a nice addition offensively.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Current 2017-18 NMU Hockey Defensemen On Roster - Any thoughts????

1 - Sr. D Jordan Klimek (5'11" 175lbs) - Langley, BC
        2 - Jr. D James Vermeulen (6'2" 190lbs) - Stony Plain, AB
        3 - So. D Rylan Yeremko (6'3" 205lbs) - Spirit River, AB
        4 - So. D Philip Beaulieu (5'10" 195lbs) - Duluth, MN
        5 - Jr. D Connor Frantti (6'6" 205lbs) - Spring Grove, IL
        6 - Jr. D Ryan Black (5'9" 170lbs) - Stillwater, MN
        7 - Jr. D Jesse Junttila (5'9" 170lbs) - Calumet, MI
        8 - Fr. D Matt Fosdick (6'1" 205lbs) - Brookfield, WI

NMU's top four Defensemen (Klimek, Vermeulen, Yeremko & Beaulieu) are all very good!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 05-07-2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

NMU Hockey Inks Canadian Sharpshooter Joseph Nardi

May 8th, 2017

MARQUETTE, Mich. — Forward Joseph Nardi (5'11" 175lbs) has signed a National Letter of Intent and will join the Northern Michigan hockey program in the fall of 2017.

Nardi spent the past three seasons with the AJHL's Whitecourt Wolverines, totaling 136 points (47g-89a) in 161 regular-season games. He added 25 (8g-17a) in 31 playoff contests.

A native of Edmonton, Alberta., Nardi also played on Team Canada West's top line at the past two World Junior A Challenges. He helped the squad capture gold at the 2015 edition and served as an alternate captain in 2016, finishing each tournament with four points (1g-3a) in four games.

"Joseph is an explosive skater who will provide a high pace of play to the game," said assistant coach Rob Lehtinen. "His ability to make people around him better and play on both sides of the puck will be a nice addition to our lineup. Joseph shows great character as a person and will compete every day in practice and in the classroom."

In 2016-17, Nardi captained the Wolverines and posted his best offensive numbers in goals (18), assists (35) and points (53). He led Whitecourt to the AJHL finals, totaling 21 points (6g-15a) in 20 playoff games, the third-highest total in the league.

Nardi skated with rising NMU junior Defenseman James Vermeulen on the 2014-15 Wolverine squad and was named it's co-rookie of the year.

Nardi becomes the fourth Alberta native on the 2017-18 Wildcat team, joining Anthony Paskaruk (Airdrie), Vermeulen (Stony Plain) and Rylan Yaremko (Spirit River).

Comment

Caleb Schroer‏ @CalebSchroer 4h4 hours ago
            More
            Excited to announce my commitment to play college hockey for Northern Michigan University! Thankful to God for this opportunity #GoWildcats

Comment

NMU Hockey Signs High-Scoring NAHL Forward Caleb Schroer

May 8th, 2017

MARQUETTE - NMU signs 2016-17 NAHL Midwest Division Most Valuable Player and Forward of the Year Caleb Schroer of the Coulee Region Chill and he will join the team this season 2017-18.

Schroer (5'9" 170lbs) was one of four Divisional MVPs named as part of the NAHL postseason award process.

“I was proud,” Schroer said of when he learned about the awards. “I put in a lot of hard work. I put a lot of years into this sport. It’s great to see when your hard work pays off.”

Schroer was the NAHL’s fourth-leading scorer in 2016-17. He had 26 goals and 41 assists for 67 points. He was a threat to score even on the penalty kill, where he led the league in both short-handed goals and short-handed assists with five of each.

The (5'9" 170lb) forward entered junior hockey after setting all the career scoring records at Lincoln High School in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. At Lincoln, Schroer averaged more than a goal and assist per game throughout his career, led the team to the WIAA State Quarterfinals as a junior and put up nearly four points per game as a senior.

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                ... He was a threat to score even on the penalty kill, where he led the league in both short-handed goals and short-handed assists with five of each.
                It's the second coming of Rob Lehtinen!!! Hallelujah! The special teams piece the Cats have been missing since Rob graduated.

Speaking of Lehtinen, I'd love for him to be retained for this year at least.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Potulny names assistants, keeps Lehtinen.

http://nmuwildcats.com/sports/mice/2017-18/releases/20170511lsw6et

Northern Michigan head hockey coach Grant Potulny announced Byron Pool as associate head coach and Rob Lehtinen as assistant coach Saturday morning.

Pool spent the past seven seasons with the Fargo Force (USHL). He was elevated to associate head coach from assistant coach ahead of the 2014-15 campaign.

Potulny retained Lehtinen from the previous staff. Lehtinen started at Northern Michigan as the director of hockey operations/video coordinator in 2010 and was promoted to assistant coach before the 2014-15 season.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    Good choices.

Comment

Byron played briefly for us with Monroe (WPHL). Was a hard working kid with a good head for the game. Was very successful in his head coaching stint with Bismarck (NAHL) and was worked with a couple coaches I've known and have a lot of respect for in Dean Blais and John Marks, in addition to Jason Herter (rumored to be in the mix for the Tech job and Cary Eades at Fargo. He is very well regarded around the junior level and by college coaches as well. Very much the type of guy I thought Coach Potulny would be interested. in bringing along.

Byron's wife, the former Kay Larson is a Marquette batice.
                      Last edited by davyd83; 05-14-2017, 10:49 AM.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

New NMU Assistant Head Hockey Coach Byron Pool

May 13th, 2017

MARQUETTE, Mich. — Northern Michigan head hockey coach Grant Potulny announced 41-year old Byron Pool as the new Associate Head Hockey Coach Saturday morning.

The Unity, Saskatchewan Canadian native Pool spent the past seven seasons with the Fargo Force (USHL). He was elevated to associate head coach from assistant coach ahead of the 2014-15 campaign.

"Byron Pool has had sustained success in both the USHL and NAHL and won a championship as a head coach," Potulny said. "He has shown the ability to recruit and develop players to their full potential, helping many reach their goal of playing in the National Hockey League. His ability to connect with players is outstanding, and he will greatly enhance our team's performance on the ice and the experience our student-athletes have at Northern Michigan as a whole."

During his time in Fargo, the Force qualified for the Clark Cup playoffs four times. In 2012-13, Fargo was named the USHL's Organization of the Year and reached the Clark Cup finals.

Pool worked alongside three head coaches: Jason Herter (2010 to 2011), John Marks (2011 to 2015) and Cary Eades (2015 to present).

Before joining the Force staff, Pool was the head coach of the Bismarck Bobcats (NAHL) from 2008 to 2010. He led the Bobcats to the 2010 Robertson Cup, the 2009 Central Division title and was NAHL Coach of The Year.

Pool spent his collegiate career at Colgate, skating in 76 games as a defenseman from 1996 to 2000. After graduating with a bachelor's degree in history, he went on to play four seasons of professional hockey, primarily for the Corpus Christi IceRays (WPHL/CHL) and Indianapolis Ice (CHL).

Comment

• https://nmu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_51Qtj4iAQvFgJb7?Q_CHL=social&Q_SocialSource=facebook

The Athletic Department put out this fan survey on Facebook this morning asking how the hockey game day experience can be improved. Check it out.

I know it's just a feedback survey and the odds of it happening are slim, but a 5 PM start time would feel odd to me.

Comment

Wait, what happened to the data from the similar survey they did four years ago? And from the survey a year or two before that?

I'll have to look at this survey later tonight.

*edit* A 5pm start on Saturdays would then allow families to get home around 8pm, and give most of the evening to do other area events. That would affect Men's and Women's basketball as a "triple header" would be difficult to perform with the earlier start.
                            Last edited by aparch; 05-16-2017, 10:49 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Wait, what happened to the data from the similar survey they did four years ago? And from the survey a year or two before that?

*edit* A 5pm start on Saturdays would then allow families to get home around 8pm, and give most of the evening to do other area events. That would affect Men's and Women's basketball as a "triple header" would be difficult to perform with the earlier start.
                              A 5pm Saturday start is also amenable to teams looking to start their trip home and get back earlier on Sunday.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

I just said it would feel odd, not that it wouldn't make sense. I'm sure I would get used to it. My question is how would this affect student attendance? The public is one thing, but most students would rather be at the bars on Saturday night. So I wonder if an early game would help student attendance.

Comment

Working...
                                X