Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

stuck below the bridge

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Hope someone passes that article on to Mel. Good to know that the place that wants him back doesn't think much of his recruiting skills or eye four talent.. How many times this year did Mel state that this group of D was one of the most talented in the nation, as well as being the most talented as a group that he had ever coached...

Hack job of a piece just looking to stir up trouble.

Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    Excerpt from a cute MGoBlog article about how Red Berenson should be fired if he won't retire:
    Read that earlier today, and I died laughing when I got to that particular bit of tripe. They are in such denial right now.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Cool Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    Pearson is working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis in comparison.
    LOL!! I hear Houghton has a McDonald's, a Walmart Super Center, and a stop light these days. That's pretty uptown compared to when I was there in the 70s.

The Peoples Republic of Ann Arbor won't allow a Walmart so I'd argue it's a few notches below Houghton in amenities (all of the big box stores are just across the city limits in Ypsilanti). Houghton certainly has better skiing.
    Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-03-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dark Lord of the Sith-Yost Regiment

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    LOL!! I hear Houghton has a McDonald's, a Walmart Super Center, and a stop light these days. That's pretty uptown compared to when I was there in the 70s.

The Peoples Republic of Ann Arbor won't allow a Walmart so I'd argue it's a few notches below Houghton in amenities (all of the big box stores are just across the city limits in Ypsilanti). Houghton certainly has better skiing.
    There is a walmart in Saline on State St. Just 2 miles outside of A2.

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    Michigan fans, what do you expect.
    They're stuck with Red until he decides to retire or becomes incapacitated. He's not going to go willingly. They had a chance to get Mel but Red wouldn't step aside. Heck, Mel was there 23 years.

If Red passes away on the bench, they can prop him up and do "Weekend at Red's" for a while...
    Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-03-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine318 View Post
    There is a walmart in Saline on State St. Just 2 miles outside of A2.
    Yes, and all the sales tax dollars go to Saline. And all the tax dollars spent on Carpenter Road go to Ypsi. [SAD TROMBONE][/SAD TROMBONE] FWIW, Mel lived in Saline when he coached at U of M.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    That is exactly the kind of stupidity I expect from Michigan fans.
    In terms of overall talent, Tech was in the top 2 or 3 in the WCHA. Some clown who only saw the GLI, has no clue of the Huskies talent level in their league.

Dark Lord of the Sith-Yost Regiment

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    They're stuck with Red until he decides to retire or becomes incapacitated. He's not going to go willingly. They had a chance to get Mel but Red wouldn't step aside. Heck, Mel was there 23 years.

If Red passes away on the bench, they can prop him up and do "Weekend at Red's" for a while...
    He isn't dead already? I could have sworn Red's corpse has been coaching the last two seasons.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    In terms of overall talent, Tech was in the top 2 or 3 in the WCHA. Some clown who only saw the GLI, has no clue of the Huskies talent level in their league.
    I thought they played well in the GLi and to tell the truth represented their talent fairly. They beat Michigan easily and could have won by a bigger margin. Then went 10 minutes into overtime with WMU. With all due respect, the talent level has to be measured nationally, not against the league, imho. And I would like to see the talent level continue to climb, which I think it is. I Know we are losing some really good defensemen, but I think next years' team will be better than this years.
    And given what Minnesota State recruited for this coming year we will have to be better in order to compete.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    IKnow we are losing some really good defensemen, but I think next years' team will be better than this years.
    And given what Minnesota State recruited for this coming year we will have to be better in order to compete.
    I hope so, we need more scoring to make that happen.

Top 6
    L'Esperance, Lucchini, Jackson, Steman or Smith, Baltus, and Gould.

Does that look right if Baltus gets the redshirt?

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    I hope so, we need more scoring to make that happen.

Top 6
    L'Esperance, Lucchini, Jackson, Steman or Smith, Baltus, and Gould.

Does that look right if Baltus gets the redshirt?
    Yes, I also wonder if shirtless or someone else thinks we have any forwards coming in that can be a top line player. ?

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Yes, I also wonder if shirtless or someone else thinks we have any forwards coming in that can be a top line player. ?
    I haven't looked at the recruit grid enough, so not sure when he's coming in, but Jagger Williamson should be a top 6 guy
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I haven't looked at the recruit grid enough, so not sure when he's coming in, but Jagger Williamson should be a top 6 guy
    I have a feeling that Williamson is getting pushed back. I'm pretty sure next year's class will be: Aleksi Poikola, Marcus Russell, Greyson Reitmeier, Justin Misiak, and Jack Becker.

Becker is the only one that could get bumped because of a Baltus redshirt, but he seems like the most likely to push for top 6 minutes. Reitmeier has the best stats but also plays in the weakest league. I could certainly see him performing like Alex Smith did this year with a similar background. Misiak also has great numbers but is in the NAHL.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

MTU NMU LSSU

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I have a feeling that Williamson is getting pushed back. I'm pretty sure next year's class will be: Aleksi Poikola, Marcus Russell, Greyson Reitmeier, Justin Misiak, and Jack Becker.
    I agree with that list of forwards, but I'm not at all sure who's coming in on defense. If you go strictly by age, it seems like Cooper Watson, Travis Brown, Seamus Donohue, Mitch Meek, Tristan Rostagno and Jake Gingell would all be candidates for what looks like 4 or 5 roster slots for D. Donohue and Meek seem the most likely as they are the most recent 20 y/o commits on D.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
    I agree with that list of forwards, but I'm not at all sure who's coming in on defense. If you go strictly by age, it seems like Cooper Watson, Travis Brown, Seamus Donohue, Mitch Meek, Tristan Rostagno and Jake Gingell would all be candidates for what looks like 4 or 5 roster slots for D. Donohue and Meek seem the most likely as they are the most recent 20 y/o commits on D.
    Don't forget Tyler Rockwell (also a '96). I fully expect Kiilunen to be done as he seemed to be more of a filler in case of multiple injuries. Cooper Watson, Rostagno, and Meek are all '96s and signed NLIs at some point so I expect all three of them to come in. Gingell is an early '97 and also signed his NLI so he may have to come in but right now I have him penciled in 2018. That leaves Brown, Donohue, and Rockwell. Despite Brown having the most goals and points of any committed d-man, he seems like the odd man out without having signed an NLI or committing recently, but the blueline is anyone's guess how the logjam plays itself out.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Inspired by Actual Events

Glenn Mroz announced his retirement June 2018. Implications? Suzanne for prez?

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    That's hard to say. Whoever it is, it's very political process and let's hope the new person is as supportive of athletics as President Mroz is. I'm going to see an alumni friend who is really connected soon. I'll ask him, but it's bound to change as the time frame gets closer.
    One thing we need is someone who can represent us well in Lansing.

Really??!!

Glen is a great guy, really made things positive on campus as a whole. They need someone similar to him in my opinion. Will try to find any info next week.

Michigan Tech Fan

Maybe we should just change the form letter sent to recruits now...

Sincerely,

Mel Pearson
    Executive President, Michigan Tech Univ
    Head Coach Men's Ice Hockey
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Maybe we should just change the form letter sent to recruits now...

Sincerely,

Mel Pearson
    Executive President, Michigan Tech Univ
    Head Coach Men's Ice Hockey
    No no, Mel Pearson- God's right hand man

Thread Information