Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    Well congrats beef!!

On another note, a great example why he's tMel. In a previous tMel Pearson show he stated that he has another goalie coming in maybe better than Beef.
    He might be a better goalie but he won't have a better nickname.

Now that we got this out of the way are we set for next year? Or is Birks next? With his redshirt I can't imagine him going yet.

Shadetree Quantum Mechanic

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Well hell....

So, this puts us with Kero and Beydoun next year. As noted by giwan, tMel insinuates bigger and better things. Referring to Beydoun or someone else???

**** though, another year of Redmond would have been nice, especially with the defensive losses this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    Kinda saw this coming, but bye-bye Angus

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...20170331q070jf
    This one surprises me a bit; but they gave him a 3 year deal so they must feel he is ready. I thought he'd stick around another year at least!

Great opportunity for Kero

Wow, this hurts, but very happy for Angus.
    His comments in the write up were awesome. I hope we will see our Goalie U maintain its rep and hope Copley, Phillips, and Redmond all stick in the NHL soon.

Michigan Tech Fan

Ahh @$!#$#*$#*@!*@@*#***$@!*@*#$!
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

stuck below the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Ahh @$!#$#*$#*@!*@@*#***$@!*@*#$!
    Ryan J
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. He could've used another year or two in college. Next season, if he splits time between the AHL and the Ducks, good for him. If he ends up spending his time down in the ECHL then it's another case of a kid having the wrong influences whispering in his ear and waving some cash under his nose

Hard to say his stock would get higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. He could've used another year or two in college. Next season, if he splits time between the AHL and the Ducks, good for him. If he ends up spending his time down in the ECHL then it's another case of a kid having the wrong influences whispering in his ear and waving some cash under his nose
    If he at least sticks in the AHL his first year, then he probably made the right decision. Otherwise, I agree.

Going to be an interesting competition between Kero and Beydoun early next season.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

stuck below the bridge

For sure goaltending is going to again be a huge question mark. Hopefully Kero has made some progress and is ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Man View Post
    Hard to say his stock would get higher.
    He wasn't as good in the second half.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Going to be an interesting competition between Kero and Beydoun early next season.
    Well at this time last year, who of us thought Redmond would see the ice at all this year for anything other than mop-up duty. I guess we'll just have to trust the staff has filled the pipeline as needed.
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

What I've inferred/guessed thus far:

10/6/2017 Union - NC, Icebreaker in Duluth
    10/7/2017 Minnesota / Minnesota-Duluth - NC, Icebreaker in Duluth
    10/13/2017 at Lake Superior State
    10/14/2017 at Lake Superior State
    10/20/2017 Home Opener - TBD
    10/21/2017 Home Opener - TBD
    11/17/2017 at Alaska
    11/18/2017 at Alaska
    11/24/2017 at Alaska-Anchorage
    11/25/2017 at Alaska-Anchorage
    12/29/2017 Michigan State - NC, GLI
    12/30/2017 Michigan / Bowling Green - NC, GLI
    1/5/2018 Vegas Tourney - TBD
    1/6/2018 Vegas Tourney - TBD
    2/9/2018 Bemidji State? - WC
    2/10/2018 Bemidji State? - WC

Well at this time last year, who of us thought Redmond would see the ice at all this year for anything other than mop-up duty. I guess we'll just have to trust the staff has filled the pipeline as needed.
    Ryan J
    I don't know about "mop-up duty", but there was certainly a lot of goaltending doubt last year.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 03-31-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Inspired by Actual Events

I think it's a great opportunity for Beef, and also a net positive for the team when a couple of these underclass men get contracts. It's inspiring, clarifies every player's goals... lights a fire under battles for playing time (quality practices) and most important is a huge positive for recruiting. Beef will be missed but will also be replaced, I'm looking for Kero to get another shot in the fall. I think he's still the most athletic high school goalie I've seen, and another year of coaching will refine the technique.

Really??!!
    Well at this time last year, who of us thought Redmond would see the ice at all this year for anything other than mop-up duty. I guess we'll just have to trust the staff has filled the pipeline as needed.Ryan J
    Two things

1. Believe in tMel
    2. We should have had a better year.

I think he's still the most athletic high school goalie I've seen, and another year of coaching will refine the technique.
    I still worry about his overall size, even at 6'1" (allegedly), he looks a bit diminutive. He'll definitely need to be athletic.

Wonder if 4/6 D leaving influenced the decision.

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Wonder if 4/6 D leaving influenced the decision.
    Really 3 of 6, or if you insist on counting Leibinger then 4 of 7. Still have Auk, Burks, and Reinke back... not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    If he at least sticks in the AHL his first year, then he probably made the right decision. Otherwise, I agree.

Passing on the contract & signing bonus is a huge gamble. NMU's Mathias Dahlstrom attracted a lot of attention from scouts his first year and the first half of his second. Then suffered a knee injury in a goal crease pile up. He didn't regain health until midway through the next season. His stock plummeted. With the way the nets are getting crashed these days, you're one play away from losing that money. I've seen players turn down deals, then not have as good a year, whether they themselves didn't play as well or the supporting cast wasn't as good.

As for playing in the ECHL, it has proven to be a good way for goaltenders to see a lot of playing time and get their feet wet at the pro level. One need look no further than your former assistant Steve Shields as an example. Many times, the ECHL starter is the #4 goalie in the organization, getting playing time as opposed to being an AHL backup. You also see NHL teams who have a strong #1 keep their second ranked keeper in the AHL to get playing time. Good luck to Angus.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Passing on the contract & signing bonus is a huge gamble. NMU's Mathias Dahlstrom attracted a lot of attention from scouts his first year and the first half of his second. Then suffered a knee injury in a goal crease pile up. He didn't regain health until midway through the next season. His stock plummeted. With the way the nets are getting crashed these days, you're one play away from losing that money. I've seen players turn down deals, then not have as good a year, whether they themselves didn't play as well or the supporting cast wasn't as good.

As for playing in the ECHL, it has proven to be a good way for goaltenders to see a lot of playing time and get their feet wet at the pro level. One need look no further than your former assistant Steve Shields as an example. Many times, the ECHL starter is the #4 goalie in the organization, getting playing time as opposed to being an AHL backup. You also see NHL teams who have a strong #1 keep their second ranked keeper in the AHL to get playing time. Good luck to Angus.
    please name someone more recent? The last like 5 goalies of the year in the SCHL have barely gotten a sniff of the A, let alone the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    please name someone more recent? The last like 5 goalies of the year in the SCHL have barely gotten a sniff of the A, let alone the NHL.
    Ever heard of Jonathan Quick (LA), Mike Smith (Arizona) or Devan Dubnyk (Minnesota)? Aaron Dell (San Jose), Scott Darling (Chicago) or Jared Coreau (Detroit)? Jared left a year early, started in the ECHL and made his NHL debut this year.
    Last edited by davyd83; 04-01-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Thread Information