Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Schedule notes slipped out during the Wednesday Mel Pearson Show - we knew about the Ice Breaker on October 6-7, but now the following weekend will be in the Soo against the Lakers on October 13-14. The home opener will be the following weekend, he didn't mention who the opponent will be.

And the Huskies will play in a tournament in Las Vegas the weekend of January 5-6, 2018. I'm led to believe that NMU will also be appearing in that event.

Comment

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

I've heard that Bemidji will be the Winter Carnival opponent.
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        Schedule notes slipped out during the Wednesday Mel Pearson Show - we knew about the Ice Breaker on October 6-7, but now the following weekend will be in the Soo against the Lakers on October 13-14. The home opener will be the following weekend, he didn't mention who the opponent will be.
        And the Huskies will play in a tournament in Las Vegas the weekend of January 5-6, 2018. I'm led to believe that NMU will also be appearing in that event.
        Missed the beginning, anything on when the next show is?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          Missed the beginning, anything on when the next show is?
          No specific times announced, just a mention that there will be some offseason updates.

Comment

My way too many notes from the show today. I think I heard correctly the few sentences around Angus - Mel said, if he's back. Harder when you have 30 teams inquiring than one team of a drafted player.

Mel Pearson show summary:

On the game:
            It was the first time in 8/9 games we didn't have last change.
            Needed to just keep rolling lines, but that was impacted losing Neville. Neville went in for hit and leg swung awkwardly.

Penalties really hurt - Didn't like first call, Watson didn't do much - 2nd was on Sturos, have Sturos in box and Neville out
            3rd Goal was a back breaker - unforced goal
            4th goal was wide - goes off Tech guy and in - that's how it was going for us in first

Interesting we've played 3 of the 4 teams in the final four this year. Games against good teams shows you how hard you have to work.

Mel recommends getting your tickets and hotel all setup for ice breaker. 10/6 and 10/7. Tech plays Union first. Tech is at the Sheraton in Duluth.

Yes, lost experience with Baltus/Steman. But others got experience. Gould 12 goals. Beretta got experience. Gerrie got experience, needs to learn to compete, win battles etc.

At NCAAs, thanks to our fans, great support. Have heard comments from others. On NCAA committee call yesterday there was a comment on Tech fans showing up to the regional. Made Cincinnati lively.

Congrats to Tanner on his 2-year and Matt Roy on his deal. There'll be a few ECHL deals on the website this week too.
            Matt Roy signing - congrats to him, LA Kings do a great job communicating and were in constant contact with MTU, weren't blindsided, Mel appreciate that, they're a class organization, Roy kept improving each year, Told Matt to get his degree, he'll make sure to get it done

Is Green Bay in the mix for a possible regional? There's more talk about that now with Tech's resurgance and WI fanbase.

Excited about next year. Solid upfront. Baltus is a big question, will ask for medical hardship. Think we have a good case.
            Steman too, will be a senior and can ask for medical redshirt.
            L'Esperance too. Gould will only get better. Luchini hot start, but a little slump second half. Gillies/Beretta/Blacklock have to take next step. Smith good year.
            Like us down the middle. Steman/Luchinni/Blacklock can play center/Evan Anderson/Ray Brice, hoping for a redshirt for Ray even though 1 game after Christmas.

Three guys coming back, Birks/Auk/Reinke. Birks heck of a game against DU after the first. Not sure he realizes how good he can be. Auk wants to win so much, sometimes does too much.
            Will be a bit like a few years ago with Watson/Leibinger/Hanna having to play as freshmen.
            All these freshmen will have 6 weeks with Shelast and understand how hard we have to work.
            Jackson had a breakout year, has to work harder with out the puck.
            Angus, we'll see if he's back. He's a free agent. Sometimes harder when 30 teams are possibilities. Devin Kero really looked good 2nd half. Good goalie coming in.

Arizona State at home. At GLI and at a tourney in Vegas right after GLI.
            Hope to get season tickets out soon. Our schedule is all set.

Can a current player become a pure goal scorer like a Petan or would it be a recruit? Gavin Gould is good around the net. He had limited time, he might be as pure as we have. Offense is instincts, hard to teach. We have a few guys, excited about Jake Jackson.
            Gerrie can add offense. Gillies can too.

Why could we use Gold as a dark color? It didn't clash/confusion with DU. Not sure DU had to approve that. Not sure Montgomery was concerned with our jersey.

For next year - We have a jersey designed a bit of a throwback from yester year. Our away jerseys will be different.

Comment

On Angus - I was wondering how that would shake out, he definitely had a really good year but I would hope for a second, he does have a few areas to improve.

On jerseys - Now I have more new jerseys I have to buy, sigh.

Also on the jersey front, this is for Shirtless, any traction for a white or black order for fans? I would really love to get a Petan jersey and Philips jersey still but already have customized cream and gold jerseys and do't feel like repeating if I don't have to.
              2005-2006: 7-25-6
              2006-2007: 18-17-5
              2007-2008: 14-20-5
              2008-2009: 6-25-7
              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Congrats on another good year and NCAA trip. Two predictions for the off season. Pearson is not going to Michigan and Shawhan won't be headed back to NMU. Rick Comley is on the NMU Search Committee and didn't give Shawhan the time of day when he was on the LSSU search committee a few years ago when we brought Damon Whitten in from Tech. Rest easy.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                  Congrats on another good year and NCAA trip. Two predictions for the off season. Pearson is not going to Michigan and Shawhan won't be headed back to NMU. Rick Comley is on the NMU Search Committee and didn't give Shawhan the time of day when he was on the LSSU search committee a few years ago when we brought Damon Whitten in from Tech. Rest easy.
                  It would be nice to keep Shawhan on staff. His areas of responsibility have been very well coached and shown good progress year to year. I think he would do well as a head coach but I hope it's not well known.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

I would have guessed it would be Wisconsin, as Wisconsin usually likes to schedule UP teams early in the schedule. But looking at the information I have seen, it looks like UW might already be booked to play NMU in Green Bay on Oct 20-21. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when official information comes out.

Comment

so we are going to get.
                      Union- neutral site,
                      UMD/Minny- in Duluth.
                      ASU at home x2
                      GLi x 2.
                      Las Vegas x 2.
                      seems to me the nodaks were talking about playing out there but I thought that was against minny. is this tournament going to replace the Desert Classic?
                      so 8 games, plus our 28 conference games.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Good tidbit on the Icebreaker as I know now that UMD will play Minnesota. Good for them for getting another great throwback (would assume that replaces the home whites) and getting rid of the roads.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Don't forget Corbett, he's right in there, and so are most of the rest.
                          Mike has done some very good work, but we need to see better results. Our fans are still coming back around to the program. UAH certainly fell further than Tech did, but man.

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                          I've heard that Bemidji will be the Winter Carnival opponent.
                          That's gonna be a great series. I should come up for that and referee the arm-wrestling competition between Millsy and Ryan J.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Good tidbit on the Icebreaker as I know now that UMD will play Minnesota. Good for them for getting another great throwback (would assume that replaces the home whites) and getting rid of the roads.
                            Have known that for about a year now.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              The throwback actually replaces the current "Bruins" black jersey. The white version I understand will stay in rotation.

I've seen a mockup for the throwback. If that's what the end product is, it's sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                so we are going to get.
                                Union- neutral site,
                                UMD/Minny- in Duluth.
                                ASU at home x2
                                GLi x 2.
                                Las Vegas x 2.
                                seems to me the nodaks were talking about playing out there but I thought that was against minny. is this tournament going to replace the Desert Classic?
                                so 8 games, plus our 28 conference games.
                                Sounds like another marginal home schedule next yr.

Comment

Working...
                                X