Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Sad to see that Matt Roy is leaving, but if he is not the prototypical tough talented defenseman, I have never seen one.
    I already had him penciled in with Rostagno or Brown to form a new LD/RD pair.

I wish nothing but the best to Matt for a long career. I am now a Kings fan!
    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 03-27-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
      Bummer. I was hoping to see him for one more year. No more departures please!
      As much as I agree it would be nice to have no more departures, it's things like this that show how well tMel is capable of developing guys. tMel knows this and has this in his plans, but it takes time to get all those recruits ready to step in.

You can look at it as **** lost him or, good for him, who's next to step up. In the long run this is a good thing for the program.

Comment

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        As much as I agree it would be nice to have no more departures, it's things like this that show how well tMel is capable of developing guys. tMel knows this and has this in his plans, but it takes time to get all those recruits ready to step in.

You can look at it as **** lost him or, good for him, who's next to step up. In the long run this is a good thing for the program.
        In this day and age, if a drafted player develops, you really can't expect him to stay all 4 years because of the risk to the NHL team on losing their investment if they wait until after he's exhausted his eligibility.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Congrats also to Tanner Kero on inking the new contract. Assisted on the opening goal tonight.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            In this day and age, if a drafted player develops, you really can't expect him to stay all 4 years because of the risk to the NHL team on losing their investment if they wait until after he's exhausted his eligibility.
            At the end of the day though it's still up to the player, some want to stay, some go. I definitely can't blame anyone who goes considering it's all their dreams to play in the NHL, and if they get the opportunity I absolutely can't fault them for taking it at all.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
              At the end of the day though it's still up to the player, some want to stay, some go. I definitely can't blame anyone who goes considering it's all their dreams to play in the NHL, and if they get the opportunity I absolutely can't fault them for taking it at all.
              Apparently he has already reported to the Kings AHL affiliate in Ontario Ca.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

A few months back, the conversation was all about why we had so many D recruits and was there room. Now it's how can we survive losing D early. I submit that in 25 years of coaching, Mel has figured out how to pretty reliably know who will be here 4 years and how many might leave early and has already figured that into recruiting. We are relatively new at this whole NHL draft picks thing, but I doubt the coaching staff will be caught off guard. The program needs to have at least some players of the caliber that can leave early, and demonstrating to recruits that the NHL can be a destination after Tech can't hurt. When players leave after 1 year, like JJ a couple years back, that's tough on continuity, but 3 years and out seems like a good balance between continuity and talent.

Comment

As Shirtless mentioned, the longer a player goes after they are drafted, the more their NHL club will ratchet up the pressure to get them signed so they don't lose their draft rights. One only needs to look back to last summer to see how NHL teams can get screwed when they don't get college draft picks signed. The Predators used a 3rd round pick in 2012 to draft Jimmy Vesey (Harvard). Vesey played all four seasons and ultimately told the Predators he would not sign with them. Just prior to be coming a free agent, the Sabres gave Nashville a 2016 3rd round pick for the rights to Vesey in the hopes that they could sign him. However Jimmy spurned Buffalo as well and did not sign with them. Vesey eventually became a free agent per the terms of the CBA and signed with the NY Rangers in August 2016. NHL clubs want every prospect they can get their hands on so every player lost in this manner (although fairly rare) hurts the team down the road.

I'm also guessing that Mel has regular conversations with both the players and also the NHL clubs that hold the draft rights of Tech present and future players. I would be very surprised if Tech doesn’t have at least several months notice in most cases that a player will depart early. They will likely not come out and say publicly they know so-and-so is leaving early, but as we’ve seen this season the recruiting indicates they have a good handle on how long the guys are going to be around.

Ryan J
                  Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM.
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                    A few months back, the conversation was all about why we had so many D recruits and was there room. Now it's how can we survive losing D early. I submit that in 25 years of coaching, Mel has figured out how to pretty reliably know who will be here 4 years and how many might leave early and has already figured that into recruiting. We are relatively new at this whole NHL draft picks thing, but I doubt the coaching staff will be caught off guard. The program needs to have at least some players of the caliber that can leave early, and demonstrating to recruits that the NHL can be a destination after Tech can't hurt. When players leave after 1 year, like JJ a couple years back, that's tough on continuity, but 3 years and out seems like a good balance between continuity and talent.
                    But even the best plans don't always workout as planned. I think the thought was Keegan Ford would provide some good experience and help with some of the D turnover from this year to next. Ford didn't make it here and that adds to the new Dmen faces we'll have next year.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                      we still have too many but it does look better now based on what I perceive for departures over the next couple years.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

All this talk about Matt Roy reminded me, did anyone else at the regional notice the announcer said his last name like Patrick Roy?
                        2005-2006: 7-25-6
                        2006-2007: 18-17-5
                        2007-2008: 14-20-5
                        2008-2009: 6-25-7
                        2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

All this talk about Matt Roy reminded me, did anyone else at the regional notice the announcer said his last name like Patrick Roy?
                          Yes, and I laughed.

Comment

Yeah, we giggled at that too. It's not like they get pronunciation sheets...
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Congratulations to Tech fans on a good season for your side. I wish that I was seeing Blue and White do those same things. [Cue joke about what colors you see the dress/uniform here.]

I did want to concur with the comments about Sturos. I was always impressed by him, even when he was beating our butts. I just like the way he plays, man.

Here's hoping that Mel stays in the WCHA. Coaches like him, Serratore, Hastings, and Bergeron are how we get out of this one-bid mess we're in.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                Congratulations to Tech fans on a good season for your side. I wish that I was seeing Blue and White do those same things. [Cue joke about what colors you see the dress/uniform here.]

I did want to concur with the comments about Sturos. I was always impressed by him, even when he was beating our butts. I just like the way he plays, man.

Here's hoping that Mel stays in the WCHA. Coaches like him, Serratore, Hastings, and Bergeron are how we get out of this one-bid mess we're in.

GFM
                                Don't forget Corbett, he's right in there, and so are most of the rest. Also, Sturos got a fire lit under him last year and did great for the last maybe year and a half. A lot of defensemen were surprised behind the net to find him there.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X