Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
    It was mentioned earlier in this forum that Mel Pearson flew in to Houghton Sunday night to announce his departure. I just heard from somebody close to the program that he did not fly in to Houghton but, that he called the AD Sunday to inform her of his departure and has not spoken to anyone else involved with the program. Maybe I am totally off base but it seems like you would want to inform your former staff and maybe even say something to your former players before you made the announcement. Maybe it happened quickly and he's addressed them since, I don't know.
    If what I am hearing is true does anyone else think it is odd that he did not speak to anyone else?
    The flight tracker did show a flight from AA, did he fly in, secretly go to the Mac to get his stuff and fly right back out without talking to anyone?
    If anyone has heard otherwise please correct me. I really want to maintain my respect and positive outlook towards Pearson but it's becoming difficult.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I don't know anything, but the Detroit Free press article today shed some light on a timeline. http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...son/100857244/

It sounds like he interviewed last week and drove to FL with his wife in preparation for the coaches convention when he got the call in FL that he was hired and he flew back to AA Sunday Night to accept the job.

It does seem like you would inform your former staff, otherwise they'll all be in FL this week, it would be somewhat awkward.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      JD is a BC fan
      But JC is a Michigan Tech Huskies fan because the put the campus and the rink in God's Country and that is all that matters...
      And despite what Pedro Cerrano thinks, JC can hit a curve ball.

Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
        It was mentioned earlier in this forum that Mel Pearson flew in to Houghton Sunday night to announce his departure. I just heard from somebody close to the program that he did not fly in to Houghton but, that he called the AD Sunday to inform her of his departure and has not spoken to anyone else involved with the program. Maybe I am totally off base but it seems like you would want to inform your former staff and maybe even say something to your former players before you made the announcement. Maybe it happened quickly and he's addressed them since, I don't know.
        If what I am hearing is true does anyone else think it is odd that he did not speak to anyone else?
        The flight tracker did show a flight from AA, did he fly in, secretly go to the Mac to get his stuff and fly right back out without talking to anyone?
        If anyone has heard otherwise please correct me. I really want to maintain my respect and positive outlook towards Pearson but it's becoming difficult.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
        Sounds like quite a bit of ... gossip.

Comment

Money talks .

Comment

Originally posted by model94 View Post
            Sounds like quite a bit of ... gossip.
            That's what it was. I posted it to feed the sharks. I ruled it out almost a week earlier. I felt it was merely coincidental and would have never attached it to THG.

Mel isn't too fond of flying. In Sipple's article it is mentioned he drove to Florida. I used to not want to fly and now that I like enjoy it, there's no way I'm getting in a 1968 Piper Saratoga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
              Just watched the Michigan press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNCfcfiXTAo

I've always liked Mel, but I have a real problem with his presser. Holy cow. "Michigan has the best student athletes in the world?" You have to acknowledge that there are scores of other schools with equally great talent. All he did was stroke the U-M egos and exhude Michigan arrogance. Not a single mention of thanks to Michigan Tech for giving him his first shot as a player, first shot as an assistant, or first shot as a head coach.
              Did I watch a different press conference? I heard him acknowledge Tech and be grateful for the opportunities there. However, this was a press conference about Michigan. When he took the job at Tech, did you expect him to go on and on about his time Michigan rather than focus on the future at Tech?
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                I know I should just ignore this thread and move to the new one, but we've got to stop pretending this is a massive surprise. I certainly hoped Mel would stay, and there was a decent chance, but let's not forget that 6 years ago, it took some convincing to get him to interview in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised (although I have not basis for this) if Mel flat out told Tech during the interview that if the Michigan job came calling after 5 years he would strongly consider going back. And if that's the case, I also wouldn't be surprised if Tech looked at that and decided 5 high quality years was the best step in the right direction. This is a business. Yeah, we have to put up with Michigan fans using this as another point to prove how much better their program is, but if it wasn't this, they'd cite something else. Let them chirp.

To those who are feeling totally betrayed, don't begrudge a person from charting their career path, especially when the signs were there from the beginning. When you beg a candidate to interview, you also give up some leverage both in compensation terms as well as commitment long term. There's a reason the contract had a buyout, and maybe even consider giving some credit to Mel and Suzanne for making sure that when he was ready to leave, Tech got a little of that Michigan cash in the process. To those who want to erect a statue of Mel out front of the building, put your shovels away. It was just 6 years and he did what he was paid to do.
                This.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  It does seem like you would inform your former staff, otherwise they'll all be in FL this week, it would be somewhat awkward.
                  This reminds me of the ultimate in bad form. Tommy Tuberville, the former Texas Tech head football coach, was at a dinner with recruits when he received a phone call. He excused himself to take the call. It was the University of Cincinnati calling to offer him their head coaching position. He didn't go back to the table, left the restaurant, and caught the next flight out of Lubbock to Cincinnati. I hope the recruits didn't get stuck with the bill.
                  Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-26-2017, 09:32 PM.
                  "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                  Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                    This reminds me of the ultimate in bad form. Tommy Tuberville, the Texas Tech head football coach, was at a dinner with recruits when he received a phone call. He excused himself to take the call. It was the University of Cincinnati calling to offer him their head coaching position. He didn't go back to the table, left the restaurant, and caught the next flight out of Lubbock to Cincinnati. I hope the recruits didn't get stuck with the bill.
                    That guy is an opportunistic creep who actually considered running for governor here. Would he have left to take the job at Michigan?

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      And my (way too long) list of candidates is up...
                      http://techhockeyguide.com/news/2017...e-search-begin
                      Hopefully I'll get an in depth look at one of the front runners written up tonight.
                      I don't know near as much as many of you but it seems to me an assistant from UMD would be a good choice. Duluth is similar to Houghton--cold, remote--and they've had a ton of success recently.

Does anyone have an updated candidate list or is it too early?
                      Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                        I don't know near as much as many of you but it seems to me an assistant from UMD would be a good choice. Duluth is similar to Houghton--cold, remote--and they've had a ton of success recently.

Does anyone have an updated candidate list or is it too early?
                        Brett Larson is on the list, we'll get there.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          That guy is an opportunistic creep who actually considered running for governor here. Would he have left to take the job at Michigan?

GFM
                          If Tuberville was any good, he'll still be at Auburn. I wouldn't vote for him if he was running for Dog Catcher...
                          Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-26-2017, 09:31 PM.
                          Abe Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                            And he was Auburn and had Bobby Lowder on his side...til he lost a couple games!
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Brett Larson is on the list, we'll get there.
                              Whose list?
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                whose list?
                                thg
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X