Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
    Pat Mikesch never in a million years, I want no part of anyone who was on Jamie's staff to ever be behind Tech's bench ever again.
    So what did Pat do wrong and what experience has he gained as a head coach since? From a hockey perspective, what differerentiats him from other potential candidates?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      well it might be harsh and all, and I love the sport and the tradition we have, but if all we are ever going to be is a feeder program for the big dogs than why do it at all. There are many other needs the university has and if we can't compete no matter what, and we have almost no shot, I say pull the plug. I'm not willing to be a perennial also ran.
      That's way too harsh. Even if Mel moves on, MI was the feeder program for us in this case, training Mel in as an assistant until we hired him to rebuild our program in the prime of his career, long enough to become the second-winningest coach in our history, win some hardware, and make the tourney twice. If he wants to play out the tail end of his career doing a Red Berenson act and putting away a pile of money, that's his business. He would be leaving the program in great shape and it would be a desirable job for a hungry young coach. Anyway, Mel hasn't quit yet.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
        Gwoz HATES houghton.
        Houghton's not fond of Gwoz either. He's an idiot.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

I was born in Hancock and grew up in the UP. I won't even start with how a lot of Yoopers feel about the nether regions of the state. If that's where Mel wants to be, then I wish him well, onward and upward with someone new. i hope he stays because he loves the UP and values the lifestyle and the people who have supported him. Then again, he probably has career aspirations that are harder to realize at Tech. I also assume that it is a decision that his wife would have a say in too.
          Last edited by Scrum Bucket; 04-21-2017, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

I don't want anything to do with Gwoz or Eaves. Neither of those 2 bring anything to the table at this point. Eaves coaches the ****tiest most boring style of hockey that exists, I don't want to watch that trash.

I still am not convinced that Mel is leaving. I still think Michigan wants a coach that is a bit younger, that will be there for 20 years.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I think the talk about Mel leaving is premature. It's a possibility, but I'm not going to worry until there's something definitive. As I said, I fully expect Mel to go through the interview process even if he's made up his mind to stay. I think the main things Mel brought to the table for Tech were his leadership style, his strategy for success and his recruiting skills/connections. It will be difficult to match his recruiting power, but if we did need to find a replacement, we would want to look for someone with a very positive style of leadership and a great reputation for motivating and inspiring young people. That shortens the list fairly quickly as many of the coaches people have bandied about have mediocre to terrible track records as leaders/mentors. His outburst with Muckalt aside, I think NMU made an amazingly good hire in Potulny. To be frank, I think he and Muckalt have a lot of the same positive qualities. It would be great for the rivalry to see those two square off as NCAA coaches, but as people have noted, Billy seems more interested in the pro ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                I think the talk about Mel leaving is premature. It's a possibility, but I'm not going to worry until there's something definitive. As I said, I fully expect Mel to go through the interview process even if he's made up his mind to stay. I think the main things Mel brought to the table for Tech were his leadership style, his strategy for success and his recruiting skills/connections. It will be difficult to match his recruiting power, but if we did need to find a replacement, we would want to look for someone with a very positive style of leadership and a great reputation for motivating and inspiring young people. That shortens the list fairly quickly as many of the coaches people have bandied about have mediocre to terrible track records as leaders/mentors. His outburst with Muckalt aside, I think NMU made an amazingly good hire in Potulny. To be frank, I think he and Muckalt have a lot of the same positive qualities. It would be great for the rivalry to see those two square off as NCAA coaches, but as people have noted, Billy seems more interested in the pro ranks.
                I think Billy would certainly see MTU as the next step in his coaching progression but I don't think he'd be here more than 4-5 years if he succeeded b/c he'd be looking at what the next step would be to get to the NHL.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Trying to just wait and see. UM job just mentioned on the Toronto Washington game by Pierre MacGuire in the context of talking with Zach Hyman.
                  Mel was first mentioned, then John Madden, or a combination of both. Then, a shout to Brian Wiseman. I really think Wiseman is a great choice for you UMers.

Will this all wait until after the coaches conference in Florida or will there be an announcement prior to the event????

Comment

http://mgoblog.com/content/hockey-search-items

Interesting for what it's worth

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      http://mgoblog.com/content/hockey-search-items

Interesting for what it's worth
                      Considering that this article claims Jim Montgomery is a Denver alum, you can guess how much credence I'd give it.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        Considering that this article claims Jim Montgomery is a Denver alum, you can guess how much credence I'd give it.
                        the comments section from alumni was interesting though. And yes the guy made a mistake but that doesn't mean the whole article is hogwash. Most of it is pretty much right. This btw is not the source I was quoting earlier. Mine was a radio talk show host from WFAN I think it is. AA sports talk radio, Which I listen to once in a while. But the guy is a blow hard homie. The point is, the information came from somewhere, these media guys did not just make it up from thin air.

I'll be really glad when it is all over. I also hope that we can get to a point soon, that our program is not considered by anyone else a stepping stone job, but rather a destination job.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

It's well past time for Suzanne to put a lucrative contract extension on Mel's desk.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            And apparently, some new lockers, paint and carpet is all it takes to keep your head coach in college hockey... DU folks are so easily distracted.
                            "I don’t even know if I would leave for an NHL coaching job,” Montgomery said recently. “The quality of life for my family... plus the fact that we’re getting the (new) locker-room done."

Ryan
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              It's well past time for Suzanne to put a lucrative contract extension on Mel's desk.
                              Do you know she hasn't? Are you sure Suzanne and Glenn didn't start making phone call$?

I'm guessing most noticed the new NMU HC got a nice bump.

Comment

Buccigross just Tweeted that "sources say" Mel is gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X