Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Thank you Coach Pearson! Great work with the team and program. This will be an interesting offseason after losing half the team, coach, and the University administration being turned over. Hopefully Suzanne is keeping her eye on the ball (if she leaves too we're sunk) and makes a great hire.
    Edit: although, Mroz isn't officially out for another year so hopefully he'll want to leave his baby - the hockey program- in good hands.
    Edit again: if we can't get a household name, I would be happy with Pat Mikesch. He knows everyone in the 3-county area and would put his heart and soul into the team. He's gotten good results as HC in Green Bay.
    Agreed about Suzanne and Mroz, and from what I have heard Ben Barr would be great but he seems to be an east coast guy so maybe not here?

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Six years ago, when MSU-M and Tech were both bottom feeders in the WCHA, we only looked forward to playing Tech because it was a series we could win. Now over the last few years, it's become a series we looked forward to because it would feature intensity, high quality hockey, and games that were meaningful in the standings. Thank you to Coach Pearson (and Coach Hastings) for making this happen.

Comment

Official via Michigan press release

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...042417aaa.html
        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          Six years ago, when MSU-M and Tech were both bottom feeders in the WCHA, we only looked forward to playing Tech because it was a series we could win. Now over the last few years, it's become a series we looked forward to because it would feature intensity, high quality hockey, and games that were meaningful in the standings. Thank you to Coach Pearson (and Coach Hastings) for making this happen.
          lucky for you guys, you got to keep Hastings...sigh
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post

I think I threw up a little.

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            RE: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Since I picked the title for this thread I suppose I better chime in at some point. It is breakfast time what shall I eat? Should I go with a healthy serving of crow or just scrape all the egg off my face and scramble that up?

As many of you did, I sat up last night reading this message board (and several others) as the posts, Tweets and articles poured in, each one poking another hole in the dam of Tech’s coaching staff until eventually it collapsed completely and I resigned myself to the fact that the Pearson era at Tech was all but over. There were a lot of things I wanted to post and write last night, but the wisdom of age got the better of me and I thought I would just sleep on it first. Now we sit awaiting the unavoidable official news that Tech fans have been dreading for the last month or so.

I will be the first to admit that I was wrong with my assessment of the situation. I though Tech had found their next legendary coach. And while he was not likely to surpass MacInnis he certainly could have been a 1A type figure in the storied history of Michigan Tech hockey. Here was a coach who had waited and waited for his shot at Michigan and never got it. Then along came Tech, his alma mater, and gave him that opportunity. In spite of a few early stumbles, most would say his time at Tech was a success. Pearson seemed happy in Houghton and outwardly he conveyed a lot of pride in what he was doing. I don’t think anyone who has been to both cities would argue that the quality of life in Houghton far surpasses that of Ann Arbor. I felt that cruising towards retirement, building a winner out of his alma mater with great institutional support would be a huge draw.

I was convinced that Coach would stay and finish out his coaching years behind the Tech bench, hopefully continuing to grow the status of the program each year, even if that never ultimately led to a national title. In Houghton, Coach Pearson could have built his own legacy with no one’s shadow over him. He could have likely remained another 10+ years having done nothing more than putting up winning records with a sprinkling of titles and NCAA tourney appearances. Tech hockey was at rock bottom before he arrived, only a fool would have pushed him out the door any time in the near future. He had quenched a thirst for winning that was 30+ years in the making. After that drought, who really cared if the water was just drawn out of the Portage Canal and not the champaign of a champion? A simple winning record tasted mighty sweet on such parched lips.

Now at Michigan, he’ll forever be in Red’s shadow, trying to be the guy who followed a legend. If he can’t bring a winning program to the ice year after year and win a title every 4-5 seasons, he’ll be seen as a failure and the fans will be calling for his job before his first class of recruits graduates. If he does happen to win, people won’t give him due credit for his success because “It’s Michigan… they’re a ‘top program…’ anyone could have won there…”

In the last 24 hours, my opinion of Coach Pearson unfortunately has changed significantly. Here was someone who in his youth had worn the silver, black and gold for Tech, stood behind the bench for two different stints as a professional and had taken Huskies hockey from nothing and rebuilt it into a top-20 program. Had Coach Pearson gone to any other program, stayed for a few years and then returned to Michigan, I don’t think I would have even blinked. It has happened many times before and it will happen again. I get the desire to always move on to something that is perceived to be better. However when you kick your alma mater in the teeth and step on your school to raise yourself up, that leaves a very bitter taste behind, far worse than that of eating crow. A taste that will not easily be washed away or forgotten.

If someone wants to take pity on me, feel free to start a new off-season thread for the Huskies. "TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case and Replacing Peason" has a nice ring to it. Or I can face Internet justice and reap what I have sewn, having to reread the title of this thread for the rest of the summer, or at least the next 500+ posts. In closing, this is hockey and as they say… “Next man up”. If nothing else, the GLI just got a whole lot more interesting.

Mel who? Go Huskies! Go Tech!

Ryan J
            I feel very similarly, I really thought he had more loyalty, obviously we were all wrong.
            Last edited by bose301s; 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post

I'm learning to hate Michigan. "Selected"? What, you're doing coach a favor?
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                Agreed about Suzanne and Mroz, and from what I have heard Ben Barr would be great but he seems to be an east coast guy so maybe not here?
                Barr is originally from Fairbault, MN. IMO would be great to see him or Cam Ellsworth apply.

Comment

I think one of the biggest requirements needs to be someone who has a lot of experience in recruiting and has a strong recruiting network. Mel had that and I think that's a huge part of his success at Tech and getting some grade A recruits, Jamie didn't have nearly as strong of a recruiting network and he got mid level recruits at best most of the time with a few diamonds in the rough scattered in.

Comment

• Re: TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case and Replacing Peason

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    In the last 24 hours, my opinion of Coach Pearson unfortunately has changed significantly. Here was someone who in his youth had worn the silver, black and gold for Tech, stood behind the bench for two different stints as a professional and had taken Huskies hockey from nothing and rebuilt it into a top-20 program. Had Coach Pearson gone to any other program, stayed for a few years and then returned to Michigan, I don’t think I would have even blinked. It has happened many times before and it will happen again. I get the desire to always move on to something that is perceived to be better. However when you kick your alma mater in the teeth and step on your school to raise yourself up, that leaves a very bitter taste behind, far worse than that of eating crow. A taste that will not easily be washed away or forgotten.

Ryan J
                    How exactly can you say the bold item? How did Mel kick MTU in the teeth and step on them? He lifted them up, brought them to places they haven't been in decades.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Why isn't anybody throwing around Walt Kyle's name as a suitable replacement for Mel?

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post

Do me a favor a** H*** get the heck out of this thread and NEVER come back.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Jesus, I'm starting to see why our fanbase has a bit of a reputation...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Jesus, I'm starting to see why our fanbase has a bit of a reputation...
                            The word delusional comes to mind from what i have read here recently.

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                              Why isn't anybody throwing around Walt Kyle's name as a suitable replacement for Mel?
                              Lol, I was going to suggest Dan Bylsma.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                Do me a favor a** H*** get the heck out of this thread and NEVER come back.
                                Really not necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X