Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

As I tweeted out, I've heard from sources that know way more than me and they're all over the map, anywhere from he'll leave if offered, to he isn't going anywhere...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
      Interesting comments from Mel to the Free Press today. http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...key/100290570/
      Sounds like there haven't been any talks yet between UMich and Mel, contrary to previous reports. I tend to agree with Chris Dilks article that there's not much upside for Mel in going back to Ann Arbor. (See http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-...eaman-blashill)
      Please do everyone a favor and avoid linking to Dilks articles. The guy is a hack, and doesn't deserve the extra clicks.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

For those of you who travel.
        http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-s...oking-flights/

in addition to this I want to add. If you get bumped on an involuntary basis there are ways to get that. The overbooking software uses historical numbers over time to create a statistical estimate of how many people will no show for a particular flight, but some days, everyone is showing up. For instance if you are in Ft Lauderdale coming home from easter break on a sunday afternoon, all the people who bought a ticket will show up and the flight will be overbooked. So you can game the system a little bit and then it will ask you on check in for your bid.If you bid you are considered a voluntary bump. You might also consider not using the kiosk to check in on those days. Instead check in with an agent and ask her how much the flight is overbooked by. That might help you decide how much to bid.
        But if everyone who bid is used up and there are still more people than seats, the agent has to pick someone to bump. (an involuntary bump) Thus the chinese guy on United. but... if you go up to the agent and say to them.. if you have to bump on an involuntary basis, I wouldn't mind if you picked me. you most likely will get picked and get paid a lot more money. Usually double the fare rather than a voucher. Which in my estimation is pretty worthless.
        So its a game. you might have more people bid than you need and so anyone looking for an involuntary is out completely.
        Last edited by manurespreader; 04-11-2017, 09:43 AM.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Dilks is just discrediting your conference like others had done for many years when a lot of westerners/HE supporters called us the "EZAC", the commitment to hockey from the Ivies has been crucial along with Quinnipiac and the amount of resources they bring to the table, you can kind of see that template in the WCHA but overall it would be ideal to see some better competition up and down throughout, the Alaska schools have yet to show any commitment for their hockey programs besides keeping it around for a few more losing seasons, UAH will be UAH. BG, Ferris, Lake Superior all seem to be on the fence and are trying to get to the other side but I don't know if the resources are there. Bemidji, Michigan Tech, Minnesota State all seem to be on the rise and could make Dilks eat his words at any moment, I love Minnesota States recruiting class this upcoming year and I think they will have to be a team to look out for in future years. One thing that is noticeable in terms of Michigan Tech is that you don't seem to like to travel non-conference wise, if that's the case you should probably try and get a few games with NCHC teams or something, come March battle tested teams do tend to prevail.

Comment

Why will UAH always be UAH?

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
              One thing that is noticeable in terms of Michigan Tech is that you don't seem to like to travel non-conference wise, if that's the case you should probably try and get a few games with NCHC teams or something, come March battle tested teams do tend to prevail.
              Huh? All Tech does is travel for NC. Just look at last season: 10 on the road, none at home. I would guess Tech is not playing NCHC teams because none of them will come to Houghton (other than UMD) and they haven't invited Tech to play in their building because they're perceived to be a "weak" WCHA team and they won't sell any tickets. I hardly think Tech is blame for their NC schedule. I would put it squarely on the shoulders of the other top 25 ranked teams who either won't come to Houghton or won't schedule Tech at all.
              Ryan
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                One thing that is noticeable in terms of Michigan Tech is that you don't seem to like to travel non-conference wise
                You might be thinking of Michigan. That's about all Tech does is go on the road for NC games.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Im not really sure what TtD meant about not travelling, but while we have been on the road a lot, we haven't traveled very far other than ASU.
                  @ UMD, @MSU, @Mich, @Wisc, @ND, GLi in Detroit aren't exactly long trips and that's where MTU has played in NC since the conclusion of the 2012-13 season.
                  Besides the three non-GLi tournaments (Arizona, Las Vegas, Ice Breaker), MTU has only played 5 teams in NC play over the last 4 seasons.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The bright lights over on the MGoBlog Board are saying that MI will only hire a MI grad, therefore they will hire Mel Pearson. LOL
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

FYI, Mel was on WTKA during the 10-Noon show and when asked if he would pick up the phone if Michigan calls, his quote was-

Mel: Well, you know, uh I've got a great job where I am, Mike. Obviously.....you know I played at Michigan Tech, was an assistant coach there. Michigan's a special place and uhm we'll just see what happens.

Host: Hopefully we'll be talking again

Mel: Well, we'll see, Mike
                      ---
                      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                      19 Conference Championships
                      10 Conference Tournament Championships
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        The bright lights over on the MGoBlog Board are saying that MI will only hire a MI grad, therefore they will hire Mel Pearson. LOL
                        And people consider that a "smart" school. Pffffft.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                          FYI, Mel was on WTKA during the 10-Noon show and when asked if he would pick up the phone if Michigan calls, his quote was-
                          I'm a bit surprised they haven't even approached him yet. Either it's a wide-open preliminary search (doesn't seem likely) or they're negotiating with someone else after getting blown off by Cole. Michigan isn't the kind of job where you seek applicants and then narrow down the pile. And Mel etc. aren't the kind of coaches who apply for a job in the blind.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            I'm a bit surprised they haven't even approached him yet. Either it's a wide-open preliminary search (doesn't seem likely) or they're negotiating with someone else after getting blown off by Cole. Michigan isn't the kind of job where you seek applicants and then narrow down the pile. And Mel etc. aren't the kind of coaches who apply for a job in the blind.
                            UMICH on here is a fibber. No searching has been going on. Red made his decision LAST WEEK. So it's just starting.
                            ---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                              UMICH on here is a fibber. No searching has been going on. Red made his decision LAST WEEK. So it's just starting.
                              I guess it's possible that Red was truly undecided until recently...

Comment

Sorry I should have clarified, I don't see you coming out east and challenging yourselves against teams that it will help you to see come March. I'm a Clarkson fan and our NC schedule so far is @ Minnesota x2, @ Western Michigan x2, Lowell/Providence, Michigan/Penn State, Belfast Tournament, I just personally feel these schedules give you a feeling of all the leagues and it prepares you best come tournament time. With the ECAC similar to the WCHA we have bottom feeders who really can kill your PWR with one loss here one loss there, look at St. Cloud for example, they've scheduled a gauntlet and were on the bubble with a sub 500 record. It would be nice to see a traditional power like Tech come out east once in awhile, ECAC teams will return the favor as well judging from the past, I'm guessing it could be a money thing?
                                Last edited by techtodenver; 04-11-2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X