Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

With the hire of Potulny, that tells me there will be some surprises for applicants, I took a stab at who might be interested. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      With the hire of Potulny, that tells me there will be some surprises for applicants, I took a stab at who might be interested. Nothing more, nothing less.
      If you jokingly put horse racing odds on your list like I did with the NMU candidates, I'd make "Field" not much better than your fifth named candidate. There may be some dark horses who throw their names in.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

I won't tell y'all how to feel, because I have no experience with an alumnus coming back to coach the school in the way that Mel did. We're still pretty young. I can see the frustration, anger, sadness, and all that.

I'm just hopeful that you'll realize, in a few days, weeks, or months (however long it takes to process!) that y'all still have a great program, definitely in the top three in our league and making a push to consistently be at the top nationwide. You're not going to be a sub-.500 school looking for a new hire, taking on a struggling program and hoping to turn it around the ways that Corbett, Thomas, and Whitten have at their respective schools. You're going to get interest from old hands and up-and-comers alike. Will they stay for 20 years? Maybe, maybe not, but how many coaches do that anymore anyway?

You have a solid foundation, and don't expect it to crumble. Give money, keep supporting, and Muck Fichigan.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Potulny definitely sent some shockwaves out. Tech will have a solid pool to choose from and likely won't have to go too far outside the box. It will be interesting to see if Mel opts to bring Shawhan or Shuchuk (or both) along with him. Muckalt could also be a UM asst candidate if he does get the Tech job.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Jesus, I'm starting to see why our fanbase has a bit of a reputation...
            Sorry, I just figured the guy was trolling and his post was not meant to be informational but rather was meant to rub our noses in it. To which I took great exception. and I'll try to rein it in more going forward.

As far as the next coach and the prospects. Let's go back in history. after John M, we had, and I'm just off the top of my head here.Jim Nahrgang, Herb Boxer, bob mancini, Dan Farrell,newell brown, ( who I still like a lot) mike Sertich, tim Watters, jamie Russell, and mel pearson. and I probably left some guys out. But on average how many years did these guys last? how much better was the program when they left then it was when they started. ?
            I doubt any of them came in and said they would not be able to build on what was there already. All of them felt like they could progress, but mostly they did not. Some got part way and left, but overall, we got no where with nothing to show for it. Sure mel has more wins than the last two or maybe three guys combined, but does that really translate to a successful program into the future?
            I agree with some that the level of support is higher than the recent past and that's good, but We don't have a great track record here, and I'm skeptical we can make any progress. Whoever is the best should get the job and connections to Tech be dammed. And to me, the only path to long term success is for us to have a long standing coach. We have to do what it takes to get to that point. And I don't buy that it can't be done.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Mel word for word on WTKA just said "I wouldn't have left Tech for any other school except Michigan".
              ---
              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
              19 Conference Championships
              10 Conference Tournament Championships
              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Getting a successful coach to stick around will be difficult. That is always going to be a thorn in our side when recruiting against other programs, particularly in MN.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                  Mel word for word on WTKA just said "I wouldn't have left Tech for any other school except Michigan".
                  Really doesn't make it hurt less.
                  2005-2006: 7-25-6
                  2006-2007: 18-17-5
                  2007-2008: 14-20-5
                  2008-2009: 6-25-7
                  2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

He also said in his presser (paraphrasing) "It's always been in the back of my mind that I might get a chance to return downstate" which wasn't nice to hear. But he's honest.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Just watched the Michigan press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNCfcfiXTAo

I've always liked Mel, but I have a real problem with his presser. Holy cow. "Michigan has the best student athletes in the world?" You have to acknowledge that there are scores of other schools with equally great talent. All he did was stroke the U-M egos and exhude Michigan arrogance. Not a single mention of thanks to Michigan Tech for giving him his first shot as a player, first shot as an assistant, or first shot as a head coach.

Sorry Mel, but you blew it and you burned some bridges with that attitude. Clearly you think everyone should worship at the alter of Michigan...or perhaps Warde made you drink some "Kook-Aid" of some kind...either way, you'll fit right in at Michigan with that kind of arrogance. You made it easy for me as a fan to move on and say "I don't want you coaching the Huskies anymore."

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
                        Just watched the Michigan press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNCfcfiXTAo

I've always liked Mel, but I have a real problem with his presser. Holy cow. "Michigan has the best student athletes in the world?" You have to acknowledge that there are scores of other schools with equally great talent. All he did was stroke the U-M egos and exhude Michigan arrogance. Not a single mention of thanks to Michigan Tech for giving him his first shot as a player, first shot as an assistant, or first shot as a head coach.

Sorry Mel, but you blew it and you burned some bridges with that attitude. Clearly you think everyone should worship at the alter of Michigan...or perhaps Warde made you drink some "Kook-Aid" of some kind...either way, you'll fit right in at Michigan with that kind of arrogance. You made it easy for me as a fan to move on and say "I don't want you coaching the Huskies anymore."
                        Would you rather him lie to you?
                        ---
                        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                        19 Conference Championships
                        10 Conference Tournament Championships
                        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Dear god, some of you people are insane.

Comment

Eric Rud got an interview last time. Worth another look?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Dear god, some of you people are insane.
                              How about you go back to your celebration and let people work through their feelings over here?

Yeah, it's a shame to see him go, but the program is better for his time here. There's plenty of strong candidates to continue the rebirth of Tech hockey.

Mel had good remarks in the release from Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                                Would you rather him lie to you?
                                He said the exact same things while at Tech, just the standard sound bite type of stuff.
                                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Working...
                                X