Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Official release from MTU:
    HOUGHTON, Mich. – Mel Pearson has been named the head hockey coach at the University of Michigan the school announced on Monday (April 24). Pearson just wrapped up his sixth season at Michigan Tech and was 118-92-29 overall in his return to his alma mater.

"Mel has been an incredible leader for our hockey program over the last six seasons, and we thank him for his efforts to lead Michigan Tech hockey back to national relevance," Michigan Tech Athletic Director Suzanne Sanregret said. "Winning the GLI, bringing home the MacNaughton Cup, winning the WCHA Championship at home this season, and going to the NCAA Tournament twice are moments that our fans will remember forever."

"We have a great hockey program in a great hockey town and we will hire someone to build on that tradition," Michigan Tech President Glenn D. Mroz added. "We thank Coach Pearson for his fantastic six years at Michigan Tech. He has put us in a position to hire a new coach who will build upon the tremendous success Mel has had here. We wish Mel and his wife Susie the best of luck."

"Mel has proven that you can win at Michigan Tech," added Sanregret. "This is an opportunity for us to continue to grow and advance our historic program, and we will begin a national search for his replacement immediately."

Pearson was hired in May 2011 and went on to become the second winningest coach in Michigan Tech's 96-year hockey history. The Huskies have gone 75-34-14 over the last three seasons and have been ranked in the top 20 at season's end in all three years. Pearson was twice named WCHA Coach of the Year, College Hockey News Coach of the Year (2014-15), and had two WCHA Players of the Year (Tanner Kero, Alex Petan) who went on to be Hobey Baker Finalists and All-Americans. Four former Tech players under Pearson played in the NHL during the 2016-17 season and seven are currently under contract with NHL teams.

"I would like to thank President Mroz and Suzanne Sanregret for all of their support and for bringing me back to Michigan Tech and giving me an opportunity to become a head coach," Pearson said. "I just can't thank them enough.

"I would also like to thank all of the players that I've had at Tech that have helped make my time very enjoyable. I'm so proud of the guys I was able to coach, and I love those guys. I look forward to continuing my friendship with all of them.

"Being a head coach is never a one-man show. My assistant coaches and support staff worked tirelessly to help us win championships and were an important piece to our success."

Pearson was named WCHA Coach of the Year after his first season in 2011-12, improving the Huskies' win total by 12 games from the previous season. Tech won the 2012 Great Lakes Invitational title for the first time in 32 years with back-to-back 4-0 shutout wins over Michigan and Western Michigan. The 2013-14 team played in the GLI Championship Game at Comerica Park and swept Michigan State at the MacInnes Student Ice Arena in their first games in Houghton since 1984.

The Huskies climbed to the school's first-ever No. 1 ranking in 2014-15 after a program-best 10-game winning streak to begin the season. The Huskies swept Michigan at home during the stretch and went on to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 34 years. The 2015-16 Huskies brought home the MacNaughton Cup as WCHA Regular Season Champions for the first time since 1975-76, and Pearson was named WCHA Coach of the Year for the second time.

The 2016-17 team was 23-15-7 overall, winning 20 games for the third year in a row—something that hadn't been done since 1983. Tech went on to win the WCHA Championship in front of a sellout John MacInnes Student Ice Arena crowd to capture the Broadmoor Trophy and a spot in the NCAA Tournament for the second time in the last three seasons.

"I'm going to miss the people and the community," added Pearson. "The Copper Country has a special place in my heart. I always enjoyed my time there as a student-athlete, assistant coach, and head coach.

"It's the people that make the community so special—the fans, alumni, former players, Misfits, and Pep Band are groups that make Michigan Tech hockey such a proud and historic program.

"I will always remember my last game at the Mac when we won the WCHA Championship. I couldn't ask for a better last game at home than that one."
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Everyone, just take a deep breath, relax and realize how much better things are today than the last 4 (or more times) that the Athletic Department has been in this position. We have the money to pay top dollar for a replacement, we have excellent facilities thanks to investment over the last 20 years, a revitalized fan base, a great atmosphere and as stated earlier, by record, we're the best team with an opening in the last couple years. While we can all be sad that Mel chose to leave for Michigan, we should all be ecstatic that Mel came back when he did and put this programs best foot forward over the last 6 years. I wanted Mel to stay and finish what he started but we're in a great position to show everyone that this program's return wasn't about Mel as much as it is about a culture that was drastically changed by MTU finally getting serious about supporting MTU hockey. I suggest we all unsubscribe and ignore the Michigan thread for awhile. If I can find some time today, I will write up a list of potential applicants and a short list of my favorites.
      There is no questioning that, even with him leaving and the anger/sadness there, if there was a choice to do it all over again, I would say yes in a heartbeat, these last 6 years have been awesome and I wouldn't trade having two tournament appearances, a GLI title, MacInnes Cup and Broadmoor Trophy for anything.
      Originally posted by UP-Power View Post
      Whitten has shown he can recruit both at Tech as an assistant coach and at Lake state as a head coach with a 'shoe string budget' as eye4talent stated.

Also from the sounds of it, Cam Ellsworth is the main recruiter at uml.
      I liked Whitten when he was at Tech, but some of his actions at LSSU have made me think twice about him. He has a very short fuse and is very hot headed, I prefer Mel's style there where you stay mostly calm and cool and only show anger when absolutely warranted, Damon goes from 1-100 at the drop of a hat IMO.

So for our search, any idea when the posting will go live? I am thinking of applying Honestly though, I have no clue how this works, does it have to stay up for a week like it did at U of M and then we can make a pick?

Also for Shirtless, what about Cary Eades this time? I just remember he was your #1 last time before it looked like Mel was an actual possibility?
      Last edited by bose301s; 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Watch this interview and tell me how well Davis Payne would connect with college-age players and the community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiO75D-T518

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          Tom Anastos.

*runs*
          May I offer you a Brian Wiseman/Billy Powers?
          ---
          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
          19 Conference Championships
          10 Conference Tournament Championships
          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            imho he's the best coach in college hockey
            Mel Pearson? Come on now.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
              There is no questioning that, even with him leaving and the anger/sadness there, if there was a choice to do it all over again, I would say yes in a heartbeat, these last 6 years have been awesome and I wouldn't trade having two tournament appearances, a GLI title, MacInnes Cup and Broadmoor Trophy for anything.

I liked Whitten when he was at Tech, but some of his actions at LSSU have made me think twice about him. He has a very short fuse and is very hot headed, I prefer Mel's style there where you stay mostly calm and cool and only show anger when absolutely warranted, Damon goes from 1-100 at the drop of a hat IMO.

So for our search, any idea when the posting will go live? I am thinking of applying Honestly though, I have no clue how this works, does it have to stay up for a week like it did at U of M and then we can make a pick?

Also for Shirtless, what about Cary Eades this time? I just remember he was your #1 last time before it looked like Mel was an actual possibility?

All of this! Including the question about Eades.

I remember 6 years ago sitting at the Pilgrim River Steakhouse and watching Suzanne sit right across the aisle and then this guy comes in afterwards for what was obviously an interview dinner. I no idea who he was at the time (other than a hockey coach candidate), but I enjoyed the last 6 years a lot. I won't remember this year as Pearson's last year so much as the year of the double overtime WCHA championship game. This is where we find out if the investments made at large in the program pay off. If your program is only as stable as the coach, you don't have a program. It's MTU, not MPU.

Comment

Who could doubt a source cited as frequently as niche.com?
                Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 04-24-2017, 11:25 AM.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

We shall see how this plays out but without release there aren't many guys slated for 2017 or 2018 that can decommit.

Expected 2017 freshmen: Aleksi Poikola, Marcus Russell, Greyson Reitmeier, Jack Becker, Travis Brown, and Tyler Rockwell have not signed NLIs that I know of so they could decommit
                  Expected 2018 freshmen: None
                  Expected 2019 & beyond freshmen: Brian Halonen, Marcus Mitchell, Benden Rons, Logan Pietila, Blake Pietila, Gabe Temple, Evan Orr
                  No one on the 2017 frosh list would be a terrible loss individually, the fact that 2018 is all signed up, we're in pretty good shape recruit wise.
                  The people that have signed NLIs will most likely be released if they want out, I personally don't know why they would want out as your program seems to be going up but with the coaching change they have that option, the school has to release them but the schools usually take the if you don't want us, we don't want you approach. Like I said with the RPI search, Ben Barr works his tail off on the recruiting trail, he takes every chance to see a recruit and establishes firm relationships with their families, he's very young so unfortunately if he has success and is offered by a big time program I would say he takes it but you have to think most smaller schools are in that situation, it's just extremely difficult to be consistent over the years but I don't doubt Barr could do that, he's been under some pretty good coaches and I think he's a student of the game regardless of his young age.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    Tom Anastos.

*runs*
                    Once again I submit John Hill.

Here I thought the B1G was such a horrible league. Why would he want to go over there?

I hope good ol' Billy Muckalt comes back. The rivalry with Northern could be epic. Taunts about the minivan, fights on the ice and between the benches... lots of fodder there.

All that said, I'm sad for your team, but you'll be fine. Life will go on.
                    I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Derek Lalonde I think is someone worth considering.

Comment

Jesus, I'm starting to see why our fanbase has a bit of a reputation...
                        Reputation for what? Being pi55ed off that Mel used his alma mater as a stepping stone to return to Ann Arbor for $Texas? Yeah, fark that noise.

Sure, we have whiners. So does everyone else, and in spades. You've been to REA and possibly Yost - you know what it's like.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                          We're the only opening with three 20+ win seasons in a row. We'll be fine.
                          This

Comment

I will be out of town for work this afternoon, but check for my prelim list of candidates on TechHockeyGuide.com this afternoon, including those I don't want but expect to apply and some that I expect won't apply but think might and would be a good fit. I'll try and invest some time this week in going deeper into many of them.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                              Watch this interview and tell me how well Davis Payne would connect with college-age players and the community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiO75D-T518
                              Excellent candidate! He's like a born Yooper.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                                Derek Lalonde I think is someone worth considering.
                                Agree. I tried to find some info on his salary at Iowa, but didn't come up with much. Would you estimate it's something in the 100-150 range? Or lower?

Comment

Working...
                                X