Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
    Sorry I should have clarified, I don't see you coming out east and challenging yourselves against teams that it will help you to see come March. I'm a Clarkson fan and our NC schedule so far is @ Minnesota x2, @ Western Michigan x2, Lowell/Providence, Michigan/Penn State, Belfast Tournament, I just personally feel these schedules give you a feeling of all the leagues and it prepares you best come tournament time. With the ECAC similar to the WCHA we have bottom feeders who really can kill your PWR with one loss here one loss there, look at St. Cloud for example, they've scheduled a gauntlet and were on the bubble with a sub 500 record. It would be nice to see a traditional power like Tech come out east once in awhile, ECAC teams will return the favor as well judging from the past, I'm guessing it could be a money thing?
    If I remember right.. I think St. Lawerence was the last time we went east. I'd agree, I'd love to see a trip out east every other year.
    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
      If I remember right.. I think St. Lawerence was the last time we went east. I'd agree, I'd love to see a trip out east every other year.
      Well the problem is this. You don't get any more power boost against the ECAC than you do against the big and it's a lot further to go. We already go real far for real long in conference, so to go real far again, such as to St. Lawrence, is not only expensive but takes a lot out of you, all to get nothing better than you get without them.
      That's why I've been in favor of playing an eastern team at the GLi. It does get us an eastern team to play, without the added expenses.. It's funny. Robert Morris is a good team and so is RIT and a few others. They have a real difficult time getting a home games against HE or the ECAC, so it's not the distance for them it's some other reason.
      Having watched Union at the regional I was pretty surprised by the way they played. I'm sure they are offensively gifted, but they weren't good.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Well the problem is this. You don't get any more power boost against the ECAC than you do against the big and it's a lot further to go. We already go real far for real long in conference, so to go real far again, such as to St. Lawrence, is not only expensive but takes a lot out of you, all to get nothing better than you get without them.
        That's why I've been in favor of playing an eastern team at the GLi. It does get us an eastern team to play, without the added expenses.. It's funny. Robert Morris is a good team and so is RIT and a few others. They have a real difficult time getting a home games against HE or the ECAC, so it's not the distance for them it's some other reason.
        Having watched Union at the regional I was pretty surprised by the way they played. I'm sure they are offensively gifted, but they weren't good.
        I'd like to see MTU get more variety in their schedule but I think thats why they're trying to participate in more tournaments. They got Yale/UConn in Arizona last season, will have Union and either UMD/Min this year, plus whoever is in the Vegas tournament. Also, ND, Mich, MSU, UMD, and UW are/were all good programs at the time the deals were struck so its hard to say MTU is taking it easy on NC scheduling. I'd love to see a little less B1G and a little more NCHC/ECAC/HEA but thats tough. The downstate alums love the games at Michigan/MSU plus the GLi. ND gets a little less attractive now because they're going to be in the same league as MSU, Mich, & UW.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...ach/100325654/

if you go to the link it's being broadcast live.

Comment

Generally Chis is ok, but I wonder if he just takes Red line Report and paraphrases it. However, I disagree with his assertion that Tech or any other small midwestern school will never win a title and it's a waste of time to try. If that were true we should all quit hockey and go do something else. I was mad at first about it, but after calming down I can see how he would think that. But he also said Michigan has a long way to go to get back to competitive. I disagree with that too. They will be competitive next year.
            Yeah, I wasn't endorsing Dilks' elitist comments.....just agreeing with his assertions about why Mel might not be very motivated to leave. I do think Tech could win the national tourney....heck, Ferris almost did it recently and Yale certainly was a dark horse. I just think Dilks is right that Mel has a good thing going in Houghton. He's virtually guaranteed to be a perennial powerhouse in the WCHA and to make regular NCAA tourney appearances if he stays. Plus, he's a hero in a hockey crazy area....probably get a street or rink named after him. At Mich, he'll have a higher stress job in which he'll need to deal with prima donna recruits, fickle fans and perhaps unrealistic expectations. Not sure I'd want that challenge as I approach my 60s. That's not to say that it's easy to keep Tech nationally relevant....few coaches other than Mel could have pulled it off. I just think he's way more appreciated (and needed) in Houghton than he would be in Ann Arbor and is more important to our program. Michigan can always get another excellent coach. For Tech, it's much more of a crap-shoot.
            Last edited by UpNorthHockey; 04-11-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              I'd like to see MTU get more variety in their schedule but I think thats why they're trying to participate in more tournaments. They got Yale/UConn in Arizona last season, will have Union and either UMD/Min this year, plus whoever is in the Vegas tournament. Also, ND, Mich, MSU, UMD, and UW are/were all good programs at the time the deals were struck so its hard to say MTU is taking it easy on NC scheduling. I'd love to see a little less B1G and a little more NCHC/ECAC/HEA but thats tough. The downstate alums love the games at Michigan/MSU plus the GLi. ND gets a little less attractive now because they're going to be in the same league as MSU, Mich, & UW.
              I agree with basically all of this. However, the point stands that it's total BS that all of our NC games this past season were on the road. If getting more return visits means scheduling ECAC opponents, or one of the better AHA teams, then I say we do it.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                I agree with basically all of this. However, the point stands that it's total BS that all of our NC games this past season were on the road. If getting more return visits means scheduling ECAC opponents, or one of the better AHA teams, then I say we do it.
                I agree but.... I'm skeptical that ECAC teams, with the exception of Joe Marsh's team, will give us a return visit. I'd love to see them, and I agree with Shirtless too, but ....You might make it more palatable if you had a deal where you give them two games, one against us and 1 against NMU and swap opponents the next night. So two teams charter up, and then the next year Tech and NMU charter east. It might cut the cost enough to make it work.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I agree but.... I'm skeptical that ECAC teams, with the exception of Joe Marsh's team, will give us a return visit. I'd love to see them, and I agree with Shirtless too, but ....You might make it more palatable if you had a deal where you give them two games, one against us and 1 against NMU and swap opponents the next night. So two teams charter up, and then the next year Tech and NMU charter east. It might cut the cost enough to make it work.
                  Terrific idea!
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Well for example Clarkson/SLU have been pairing up, with our arrangement with Minnesota/Wisconsin, they came here to Clarkson/SLU for one game each this past season, this year Clarkson goes to Minnesota for 2 with SLU going to Wisconsin for 2, the following season they will come back to upstate NY and in the final year Clarkson goes to Wisconsin for 2 with SLU going to Minnesota for 2. I'm not saying do it with us, that would be great but there are things that can be done to satisfy both sides I feel, I don't know if Tech has someone they would be willing to do that with but I know BG has come up to Clarkson recently. Obviously if costs are tight that makes sense but Clarkson has that covered by donors paying for the travel if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Hey I have no say but I would love to see it. Also to add Joe Marsh is no longer the coach of SLU, it's Mark Morris who is the former coach of Clarkson, Morris and Marsh are great friends and he does the color commentary on the SLU broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                        Hey I have no say but I would love to see it. Also to add Joe Marsh is no longer the coach of SLU, it's Mark Morris who is the former coach of Clarkson, Morris and Marsh are great friends and he does the color commentary on the SLU broadcast.
                        Yes I know. When Joe Brought his team to Houghton a few years ago, (it was on the bus), he said in his interview that it's a trip you had to make because of the history of professional hockey starting in the Copper Country and he wanted to expose his players to that history.. I was very glad to see his team be willing to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
                          Well for example Clarkson/SLU have been pairing up, with our arrangement with Minnesota/Wisconsin, they came here to Clarkson/SLU for one game each this past season, this year Clarkson goes to Minnesota for 2 with SLU going to Wisconsin for 2, the following season they will come back to upstate NY and in the final year Clarkson goes to Wisconsin for 2 with SLU going to Minnesota for 2. I'm not saying do it with us, that would be great but there are things that can be done to satisfy both sides I feel, I don't know if Tech has someone they would be willing to do that with but I know BG has come up to Clarkson recently. Obviously if costs are tight that makes sense but Clarkson has that covered by donors paying for the travel if I'm not mistaken.
                          So 2 for 1's.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            So 2 for 1's.
                            Math is hard for you huh?
                            its a 2 for 2
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Math is hard for you huh?
                              its a 2 for 2
                              Your right. My error.

Comment

I would love to do a weekend in Canton/Potsdam. They sound like NY's Houghton/Hancock

But who knows how it works out financially?

Comment

Working...
                                X