Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Jesus, I'm starting to see why our fanbase has a bit of a reputation...
    Yes, you do. But IMHO, you can use it for good, too. Like you did for Mel, wrap your arms around whoever is your next coach.

My dad deserves a good team for his school, and your support will help.

Will it mean you get a coach for decades? Dunno.

But at least get behind the new coach as a group. You should all realize that you are probably the largest single posting group on this board. I see that as a reflection of a rather passionate fan base. Use that to your advantage.

at least that's how I see it.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Yes, you do. But IMHO, you can use it for good, too. Like you did for Mel, wrap your arms around whoever is your next coach.

My dad deserves a good team for his school, and your support will help.

Will it mean you get a coach for decades? Dunno.

But at least get behind the new coach as a group. You should all realize that you are probably the largest single posting group on this board. I see that as a reflection of a rather passionate fan base. Use that to your advantage.

at least that's how I see it.
      We have plenty of advantages, and I know this is a difficult situation for all of us bc we finally don't suck after about 30 years of mostly crappy hockey. I just don't want MTU to find the next Tim Watters, hell, if the next coach is just mediocre, it will set the program back far enough bc no one will believe that MTU can succeed and that Mel was the only reason it worked...even though I don't believe that at all.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The program began its turnaround when Glenn, Suzanne and donors made the commitment. No reason to believe the commitment is about to flag now that everyone has seen what a successful hockey program can do for Houghton, Michigan Technological University and its alumni base. The success may have outstripped the commitment level – Mel Pearson is an extraordinary coach – but with $250–300k to spend on the next coach, I expect we'll land a good one and the results will continue.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
          The program began its turnaround when Glenn, Suzanne and donors made the commitment. No reason to believe the commitment is about to flag now that everyone has seen what a successful hockey program can do for Houghton, Michigan Technological University and its alumni base. The success may have outstripped the commitment level – Mel Pearson is an extraordinary coach – but with $250–300k to spend on the next coach, I expect we'll land a good one and the results will continue.
          Not to mention the program basically gets a year of free coaching bc of Mel's buyout.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Well after thinking about it and talking with a number of old alumni who do not post but follow the program closely, I believe that the general feeling is this will set us back to 1995. Rightly or wrongly, and that the decision of Mr Pearson to leave was decided soon after he left Ann Arbor. (I had been told this by a number of people who are very close to mr Berenson, but I refused to believe it at the time) I see now it's true. I don't think we are back quite to square 1 but whoever comes here, what is he going to say," I'm glad to be number 2? I hope we can pick up the pieces.?" it's going to be a difficult period.
            I think the program is better than when he got here certainly, but things can fall apart in a hurry.I do not expect us to contend in the near term for anything except maybe home ice. I think we will see at least 3 recruits de-commit. I think a couple of the players transfer. It's unfortunate but that's the hand we have been dealt. I've been waiting 30 plus years to see the program be respectable again. I hope it can stay that way. I'm sure Mr Pearson will say all the right things about how special Michigan is, how much history they have, how honored he is to be there. the same **** that every new coach says at every press conference ever held.
            Personally I have attended quite a few games at Yost in addition to the Tech games once in a while. I'm not planning on continuing that habit. They can go suck an egg.
            Pardon me while I go puke and then throw myself off one of these cliffs out here. Not really, I'm just going to go out and kick the dog a few times.
            Last edited by manurespreader; 04-24-2017, 09:29 AM.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
              That's definitely the good part going into this search vs. the last few, we have seen unprecedented levels of support for the program recently so we will be able to compete with anyone on the country on the salary and the recent success should attract some higher end applicants as well. I think we can get a Tier 1 coach, now we just have to find the right one.
              2005-2006: 7-25-6
              2006-2007: 18-17-5
              2007-2008: 14-20-5
              2008-2009: 6-25-7
              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

alright, time for me to step away from this thread before all of you hate me for not acting like the world is ending.

Comment

alright, time for me to step away from this thread before all of you hate me for not acting like the world is ending.
                  I don't think the world is ending, but it is a precarious position to be in and obviously a lot of uncertainty, but hopefully we find the right guy and move forward.

Comment

We have plenty of advantages, and I know this is a difficult situation for all of us bc we finally don't suck after about 30 years of mostly crappy hockey. I just don't want MTU to find the next Tim Watters, hell, if the next coach is just mediocre, it will set the program back far enough bc no one will believe that MTU can succeed and that Mel was the only reason it worked...even though I don't believe that at all.
                    100% agree. So with all of that passion and warmth, put the demands that you rightly have to be a winning program.

There's no reason you should not be 100% clear to the coach of your expectations.

Comment

We're the only opening with three 20+ win seasons in a row. We'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                        Why isn't anybody throwing around Walt Kyle's name as a suitable replacement for Mel?
                        Tom Anastos.

*runs*
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          I do not expect us to contend in the near term for anything except maybe home ice. I think we will see at least 3 recruits de-commit. I think a couple of the players transfer.
                          We shall see how this plays out but without release there aren't many guys slated for 2017 or 2018 that can decommit.

Expected 2017 freshmen: Aleksi Poikola, Marcus Russell, Greyson Reitmeier, Jack Becker, Travis Brown, and Tyler Rockwell have not signed NLIs that I know of so they could decommit
                          Expected 2018 freshmen: None
                          Expected 2019 & beyond freshmen: Brian Halonen, Marcus Mitchell, Benden Rons, Logan Pietila, Blake Pietila, Gabe Temple, Evan Orr
                          No one on the 2017 frosh list would be a terrible loss individually, the fact that 2018 is all signed up, we're in pretty good shape recruit wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                            Tom Anastos.

*runs*
                            Dear God you better run

On that note I am pretty sure most Tech fans have me on ignore anyway.
                            Last edited by bose301s; 04-24-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Everyone, just take a deep breath, relax and realize how much better things are today than the last 4 (or more times) that the Athletic Department has been in this position. We have the money to pay top dollar for a replacement, we have excellent facilities thanks to investment over the last 20 years, a revitalized fan base, a great atmosphere and as stated earlier, by record, we're the best team with an opening in the last couple years. While we can all be sad that Mel chose to leave for Michigan, we should all be ecstatic that Mel came back when he did and put this programs best foot forward over the last 6 years. I wanted Mel to stay and finish what he started but we're in a great position to show everyone that this program's return wasn't about Mel as much as it is about a culture that was drastically changed by MTU finally getting serious about supporting MTU hockey. I suggest we all unsubscribe and ignore the Michigan thread for awhile. If I can find some time today, I will write up a list of potential applicants and a short list of my favorites.

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                                I think one of the biggest requirements needs to be someone who has a lot of experience in recruiting and has a strong recruiting network. Mel had that and I think that's a huge part of his success at Tech and getting some grade A recruits, Jamie didn't have nearly as strong of a recruiting network and he got mid level recruits at best most of the time with a few diamonds in the rough scattered in.
                                Whitten has shown he can recruit both at Tech as an assistant coach and at Lake state as a head coach with a 'shoe string budget' as eye4talent stated.

Also from the sounds of it, Cam Ellsworth is the main recruiter at uml.

Comment

Working...
                                X