Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

I always knew this was a possibility and figured if the day came he would be getting a new job because MTU was being successful. It's a good thing to have our coach wanted elsewhere, but Mel has lost me a bit today. I didn't realize he was always going to leave for UM if he had the opportunity with some of his statements today.

I get the concern over who the next coach will be but Suzanne got it done with a great hire in Mel. Mel wasn't an easy get for Suzanne and she was persistent with who she thought should coach at Tech. I'm excited to see who she can find for our next coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
      How about you go back to your celebration and let people work through their feelings over here?

Yeah, it's a shame to see him go, but the program is better for his time here. There's plenty of strong candidates to continue the rebirth of Tech hockey.

Mel had good remarks in the release from Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      JD is a BC fan
      BS UMass Lowell 2015
      PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Yes, I would have to agree that it was a bit different than the Mel we are used to.
        Still, the shock of the reality has worn off and I am excited for a small number of the candidates mentioned.

Time to put a search committee together with knowledgeable hockey people to assist in the review and selection of the next coach.

As primary host of the GLI, can we switch the order so we get Michigan next season.
        Last edited by Huskiefan906; 04-24-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

That presser was pretty disappointing, it was almost like he wasn't the same person that was always humble and kind. As Madison Husky said, it definitely made it easier to look forward to a new coach at the helm. I wonder what the current players and recent player alums thought of his comments?

I'm happy that he got the program back up to speed, and am hopeful for the next guy to take it into another gear. Best of luck to him, as it clearly showed he might be a Tech alum, but he's most definitely a Michigan Man.

Signed,
          A Michigan Tech Man

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
            Would you rather him lie to you?
            OK, I assume that comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, and so were some of my comments...but come on. You're rubbing salt in a fresh wound.

Congrats to UM on getting a fantastic coach. And I am thankful for all he did at Tech.

But I can't take much of that worship at the alter of the great almighty Michigan cause we're better than everyone else arrogant crap that came out of Mel today. It made me want to vomit. So he love's Michigan. Great. As the new coach, he should. They are an excellent academic and $$$athletic$$$ institution. But going overboard like he did and not even coming close to even a 1-second mention or acknowledgement of the Michigan Tech (who gave him his start as a player, assistant coach, and head coach and their community support and donors contributed greatly to his success) was a mistake in my mind...one that will take a while to forgive & heal for Tech fans and supporters.

Anyway, enough venting on this. I do hope Mel does well with Michigan hockey...just not when he plays against Michigan Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
              I get the concern over who the next coach will be but Suzanne got it done with a great hire in Mel. Mel wasn't an easy get for Suzanne and she was persistent with who she thought should coach at Tech. I'm excited to see who she can find for our next coach.
              But wasn't part of her persistence talking to Mel to see what really had to be done to get the program going? It was NOT just about the HC salary. That's really the easy part. I believe that insight is what brought Mroz in and a new strategy. Which is what made Mel finally say yes.

Comment

Can someone please start a new thread? This title is just mocking us. As Mr. Wonderful says on Shark Tank, Mel is dead to me.
                Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-24-2017, 11:12 PM.
                "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  I believe that insight is what brought Mroz in and a new strategy.
                  When Mroz was here in Austin for an alumni dinner, I asked him to get Mel. He replied, "He won't come. He's the heir apparent at Michigan." Suzanne was definitely the driving force.
                  Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-24-2017, 10:42 PM.
                  Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                    Eric Rud got an interview last time. Worth another look?
                    Have you ever heard of a guy coming back after he's transitioned to coaching the women's game? Not to mention his team took a step back after taking a decent step forward last season...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
                      Just watched the Michigan press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNCfcfiXTAo

I've always liked Mel, but I have a real problem with his presser. Holy cow. "Michigan has the best student athletes in the world?" You have to acknowledge that there are scores of other schools with equally great talent. All he did was stroke the U-M egos and exude Michigan arrogance. Not a single mention of thanks to Michigan Tech for giving him his first shot as a player, first shot as an assistant, or first shot as a head coach.

Sorry Mel, but you blew it and you burned some bridges with that attitude. Clearly you think everyone should worship at the alter of Michigan...or perhaps Warde made you drink some "Kook-Aid" of some kind...either way, you'll fit right in at Michigan with that kind of arrogance. You made it easy for me as a fan to move on and say "I don't want you coaching the Huskies anymore."
                      I couldn't agree more. I've lost all respect for Mel. I grew up in the Peoples Republic of Ann Arbor and every time I go back there to visit my mom, I just shake my head. It's not a city, it's a cult. I don't miss it one bit.

When they publish Mel's new compensation package, please post it to the Forum.
                      Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 04-24-2017, 11:33 PM.
                      Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Dear god, some of you people are insane.
                        30 years of bad hockey will do that to you. Now please just go away. I hear your mom calling...
                        Abe Lincoln

Comment

I know I should just ignore this thread and move to the new one, but we've got to stop pretending this is a massive surprise. I certainly hoped Mel would stay, and there was a decent chance, but let's not forget that 6 years ago, it took some convincing to get him to interview in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised (although I have not basis for this) if Mel flat out told Tech during the interview that if the Michigan job came calling after 5 years he would strongly consider going back. And if that's the case, I also wouldn't be surprised if Tech looked at that and decided 5 high quality years was the best step in the right direction. This is a business. Yeah, we have to put up with Michigan fans using this as another point to prove how much better their program is, but if it wasn't this, they'd cite something else. Let them chirp.

To those who are feeling totally betrayed, don't begrudge a person from charting their career path, especially when the signs were there from the beginning. When you beg a candidate to interview, you also give up some leverage both in compensation terms as well as commitment long term. There's a reason the contract had a buyout, and maybe even consider giving some credit to Mel and Suzanne for making sure that when he was ready to leave, Tech got a little of that Michigan cash in the process. To those who want to erect a statue of Mel out front of the building, put your shovels away. It was just 6 years and he did what he was paid to do.

Comment

I'm hoping the next coach is also good enough that he gets hired away by some idyllic paradise that is his own most wonderful happy place, whether that be Milwaukee or Saginaw or whatever, after 5 or 6 years of winning. If nobody wants your coach you hired the wrong coach.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
                              Just watched the Michigan press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNCfcfiXTAo

I've always liked Mel, but I have a real problem with his presser. Holy cow. "Michigan has the best student athletes in the world?" You have to acknowledge that there are scores of other schools with equally great talent. All he did was stroke the U-M egos and exhude Michigan arrogance. Not a single mention of thanks to Michigan Tech for giving him his first shot as a player, first shot as an assistant, or first shot as a head coach.

Sorry Mel, but you blew it and you burned some bridges with that attitude. Clearly you think everyone should worship at the alter of Michigan...or perhaps Warde made you drink some "Kook-Aid" of some kind...either way, you'll fit right in at Michigan with that kind of arrogance. You made it easy for me as a fan to move on and say "I don't want you coaching the Huskies anymore."
                              Gotta give it to him, great politician. Always has been always will be.

Comment

It was mentioned earlier in this forum that Mel Pearson flew in to Houghton Sunday night to announce his departure. I just heard from somebody close to the program that he did not fly in to Houghton but, that he called the AD Sunday to inform her of his departure and has not spoken to anyone else involved with the program. Maybe I am totally off base but it seems like you would want to inform your former staff and maybe even say something to your former players before you made the announcement. Maybe it happened quickly and he's addressed them since, I don't know.
                                If what I am hearing is true does anyone else think it is odd that he did not speak to anyone else?
                                The flight tracker did show a flight from AA, did he fly in, secretly go to the Mac to get his stuff and fly right back out without talking to anyone?
                                If anyone has heard otherwise please correct me. I really want to maintain my respect and positive outlook towards Pearson but it's becoming difficult.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X