Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

So if Mel leaves, and if I am honest it looks like all signs are pointing to him doing so, who do we want on our list of candidates? I would certainly want Muckalt on the list but not sure he would consider Tech because as others have said, he seems to have his eye on the NHL and Tech may not be the stepping stone to get there. I would also like to see George Gwozdecky and Mike Eaves on the list, while both were fired from their last jobs for lack of success, they have also both had very successful periods and won NCs, and if Tech is as serious as they have claimed to be about the hockey program, getting someone like that in would be a good idea. Finally, I am not sure what he is doing, but I know he has done some coaching, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Batovanja on the list, he seems to be respected by anyone he has ever played with and have the love and passion for the game that would be needed, the biggest problem there would be the lack of recruiting experience.

No matter what though it does seem to me that we will need to start a new coaching search soon.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
      So if Mel leaves, and if I am honest it looks like all signs are pointing to him doing so, who do we want on our list of candidates? I would certainly want Muckalt on the list but not sure he would consider Tech because as others have said, he seems to have his eye on the NHL and Tech may not be the stepping stone to get there. I would also like to see George Gwozdecky and Mike Eaves on the list, while both were fired from their last jobs for lack of success, they have also both had very successful periods and won NCs, and if Tech is as serious as they have claimed to be about the hockey program, getting someone like that in would be a good idea. Finally, I am not sure what he is doing, but I know he has done some coaching, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Batovanja on the list, he seems to be respected by anyone he has ever played with and have the love and passion for the game that would be needed, the biggest problem there would be the lack of recruiting experience.

No matter what though it does seem to me that we will need to start a new coaching search soon.
      hahahahahahahaha Gwoz in Houghton. HAHhahahahahahahahaa.

That is a good one.
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
        hahahahahahahaha Gwoz in Houghton. HAHhahahahahahahahaa.

That is a good one.
        I never claimed to have any clue as to what I'm talking about, lol.

Comment

I never claimed to have any clue as to what I'm talking about, lol.
          Gwoz HATES houghton. Gwoz's hate of Houghton is arguably a small slice of why the NCHC exists. I say we have a better chance of the ghost of MacInnes coaching than Gwoz.
          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
            Gwoz HATES houghton. Gwoz's hate of Houghton is arguably a small slice of why the NCHC exists. I say we have a better chance of the ghost of MacInnes coaching than Gwoz.
            Why does he hate Houghton? Honestly I try and follow but compared to most here I really don't know much about the hockey world.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Some media outlets here in SE Michigan, who imho, really don't have any more information than anyone else, are reporting that Mel will be hired and it will be announced in a week or two. This would be in line with what our buddy u mich is reporting.
              I don't know what to think. I would hope that if we matched what Michigan is going to offer, that he would stay, but who knows. The one thing I can say I'm pretty sure of, is that they are going to either formally or informally offer mel the job, and at a substantial raise to what he is making at Tech as of now. I think they will do this informally and if he wants the job it's his. I don't think they will offer if he says he won't take it.
              Having been down here and listened to all the talk, there are an awful lot of people who think that, well naturally he would come here, why wouldn't he? That's their mindset. I don't think they give Tech any credit at all for being a good place to be. Rightly or wrongly. And most have never been around the Tech offices or the Tech program ever. In fact they've probably never been to the UP.
              They're just speculating and assuming he'll take the job. Which is probably the most likely thing to happen here but isn't a for sure thing.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

What media outlets are these, Sipple had a tweet, but he is not saying anything other than opinion that Mel is a no brainer choice.
                Of course he is, that is why this will be really tough if it occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                  What media outlets are these, Sipple had a tweet, but he is not saying anything other than opinion that Mel is a no brainer choice.
                  Of course he is, that is why this will be really tough if it occurs.
                  Strange how on Tuesday Sipple tweets that Mel says he's still had no discussions with Michigan about the job. Then the next day he tweets Mel is the no brainer choice. May be true but someone at Michigan should try actually asking Mel first. Last Friday Mblog podcast had Mel Not the lead candidate anymore. Today he's a 98% sure thing... still NO actual source for any of this given. Just speculation.

Doesn't mean he will. Doesn't mean he won't.
                  Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 04-20-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Why does he hate Houghton? Honestly I try and follow but compared to most here I really don't know much about the hockey world.
                    Maybe due to that Hotel incident a few years back..

Gwoz just turned down the Michigan State job. Why would he want to come to Houghton?

Comment

I'm hesitant to point out the actual outlet other than to say it was not George Sipple. Also if I was to go looking for a new coach, my first call would be to Newell Brown.

You all know as well as I do that typically at a big university or large market, the teams do not keep secrets very well and someone in the organization spills the beans. It just happens. So there is some fire here, but how much is the question. Someone inside the Michigan hockey program or maybe two someone's is letting this out. they might have their own motivations, who knows, or they might be telling the truth. I think right now the only person who truly knows is Mel himself, and he might not have decided yet.

There are some negatives to the Michigan job. 1. Win and win often. A lot of criticism if you don't. A lot of media pressure and it never relents for a second. it's a magnifying glass all the time at a big school like that.

I just hate the condescending attitude. If Mel leaves they will say, see we were right, and if he stays they will say he was dumb to do so.
                      And I'll say again, I'm not willing to be someone else's stepping stone.
                      Last edited by manurespreader; 04-20-2017, 06:09 PM.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                        Maybe due to that Hotel incident a few years back..

Gwoz just turned down the Michigan State job. Why would he want to come to Houghton?
                        Did he actually turn down State, I though Cole was the #1 from the start?

Also, was this the Winter Carnival incident when they had to stay in L'Anse?
                        Last edited by bose301s; 04-20-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Could be, but the local Lansing media had Gwoz as the top candidate. Gwoz ended up tweeting he was staying in Colorado. Then all the chatter about Cole picked up.. pure speculation on my part.
                          Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 04-20-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post

Pat Mikesch, Cam Ellsworth, Davis Payne, Ron Rolston, Damon Whitten, Mike Guentzel,

Comment

Originally posted by UP-Power View Post
                              Pat Mikesch, Cam Ellsworth, Davis Payne, Ron Rolston, Damon Whitten, Mike Guentzel,
                              Pat Mikesch never in a million years, I want no part of anyone who was on Jamie's staff to ever be behind Tech's bench ever again.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                well it might be harsh and all, and I love the sport and the tradition we have, but if all we are ever going to be is a feeder program for the big dogs than why do it at all. There are many other needs the university has and if we can't compete no matter what, and we have almost no shot, I say pull the plug. I'm not willing to be a perennial also ran.
                                So unless you have Big Ten dollars, you should quit?
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X