Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the NHL does not go to Korea, who goes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the NHL does not go to Korea, who goes?

Do we send minor pros or a primary NCAA team?

If NCAA, pick your squad.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: If the NHL does not go to Korea, who goes?

$$$$$$$$$......you really think NHL players won’t be there.
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

The Commish (Owners) says no. The sponsors and media say yes.

The NHL wants their cut and video/media rights. If they get that, they go.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
        $$$$$$$$$......you really think NHL players won’t be there.
        Originally posted by joecct View Post
        The Commish (Owners) says no. The sponsors and media say yes.

The NHL wants their cut and video/media rights. If they get that, they go.
        That was my point. When they figure out the money they will be there. It’s always about the $$$$$$
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          That was my point. When they figure out the money they will be there. It’s always about the $$$$$$
          Is there really that much of a demand in South Korea? The Islanders are getting kicked out of "their" arena, the Coyotoes, another southern experiment in Vegas, and various teams with attendance declining. In many ways, more than just #of games played, the NBA and the NHL are similar, and the NBA is gonna start allowing sponsors on there jerseys. How about stabilizing the turbulent teams and expand into Canada instead.
          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Frozen Four winner becomes the US National team for 2017-18? Now that would be fun to watch.
            BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
              Is there really that much of a demand in South Korea? The Islanders are getting kicked out of "their" arena, the Coyotoes, another southern experiment in Vegas, and various teams with attendance declining. In many ways, more than just #of games played, the NBA and the NHL are similar, and the NBA is gonna start allowing sponsors on there jerseys. How about stabilizing the turbulent teams and expand into Canada instead.
              Because the falling Canadian dollar is already hurting the league and the smaller market Canadian team? http://spectorshockey.net/2015/01/po...ian-nhl-teams/ CSD is equal to 75 cents right now - that article talked about how below it being 85 cents the Canadian teams lose money.

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
              Frozen Four winner becomes the US National team for 2017-18? Now that would be fun to watch.
              It's a nice idea but would any team have enough Americans on it to field an entire roster for the Olympics?

My fear of it being college players is that we see guys get nationalized and take the year off from school. But essentially a WJC team with some older players and maybe the occasional AHL/European player would be somewhat fun to watch, even if I'd rather see the NHL go for growing the sport reasons.
              Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
              Go Crimson!

Comment

Guys playing in European leagues. Which, with the loss of Brandon Bochenski to Kazakhstan, would sting
                https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

You can't afford $75,000,000 annual salary loads based on what you make at the gate. 41 sold out games in Hamilton, ONT can't approach the kind of money you can get with good US TV ratings and selling jerseys to the 325 million people in the US. If you want a Canada-based league, tell the players they better be ready to accept CFL-level salaries.

Comment

Is there really that much of a demand in South Korea? .... How about stabilizing the turbulent teams and expand into Canada instead.
                    Whoa there. Before anyone else gets their knickers in a knot, let's be clear that this thread is about whether or not the NHL/NHLPA will allow their players to participate in the 2018 Pyeongchang, Korea, Winter Olympics. It is NOT about NHL expansion (especially to Korea). That being said, I agree with what a couple of other posters said about it's being all about Benjamins and Loonies. If enough of them are there, it's business as usual. And IMO, enough of them will be there.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                      Because the falling Canadian dollar is already hurting the league and the smaller market Canadian team? http://spectorshockey.net/2015/01/po...ian-nhl-teams/ CSD is equal to 75 cents right now - that article talked about how below it being 85 cents the Canadian teams lose money.

It's a nice idea but would any team have enough Americans on it to field an entire roster for the Olympics?

My fear of it being college players is that we see guys get nationalized and take the year off from school. But essentially a WJC team with some older players and maybe the occasional AHL/European player would be somewhat fun to watch, even if I'd rather see the NHL go for growing the sport reasons.
                      The college players being nationalized was the norm before 94.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Combo Team Army and Airforce with a few of the better American Players form other rosters thrown in

Comment

Some teams could use that exemption still on the books again.

Comment

With the Canadian dollar still running under 75¢ US, that's not going to happen.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

bump
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X