2017 National Championship Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    Win toniget and I promise I'll never say another bad word about the camo jerseys.
    Can I say something then.......uh...no. But congrats! They played great no matter the uniform! Very impressed with their quickness. And that little #21....wow. Really good squad.

Comment

Originally posted by hue-z View Post
      Can I say something then.......uh...no. But congrats! They played great no matter the uniform! Very impressed with their quickness. And that little #21....wow. Really good squad.
      Tyler Piacentini. What a kid. What a leader. I've never seen an athlete, in any sport, play harder. Kid laid it on the line, every shift, every night, for four years. He will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66
        I had a colleague who use to say, "Nose to nose...is where you close." Tyler is that kind of kid. Very much the same kind of gritty kid...and about same size as former NU player Nevin Lawler....never afraid of anyone regardless of size. Lawler once laid out a UMass player twice his size...and the zebras asked him politely to leave the game. But Tyler is more than just tough...he seems to be great leader on the ice as well. But shouldn't the hockey team be a reflection of what the school is suppose to be about? LEADERSHIP!! Yes...Tyler will be missed (and well remembered when he makes it to the NU Sports Hall of Fame). But new leaders will emerge.
        Indeed. Nevin Lawler 2.0

Comment

Re: 2017 National Championship Thread

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
          Indeed. Nevin Lawler 2.0
          There's a name of a gritty player!
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            We didn't attend for that very reason. No way in the world we were going to subsist on Aud food for 7 hours.
            Anyone who doesn't attend a Final Four in their own home town, regardless of the reasons, is not a true hockey fan.

Comment

Originally posted by soccermaniac919 View Post
              Anyone who doesn't attend a Final Four in their own home town, regardless of the reasons, is not a true hockey fan.
              Well, I was there for all three games....including paying again to get back in after going home to get my wife after work for the 2nd Friday game.

Edit: I think a lot of college/local folks thought the tickets were kind of pricey.
              2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
              2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
              2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
              2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
              2009 D-III TOP runner-up
              Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
              1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                Well, I was there for all three games....including paying again to get back in after going home to get my wife after work for the 2nd Friday game.

Edit: I think a lot of college/local folks thought the tickets were kind of pricey.
                Pricey ?

We went to a NYS High School boys quarter final hockey game and it was $7.00 per ticket. That seems pricey !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                  Indeed. Nevin Lawler 2.0
                  I compared Will Pelltier to Keith Accoin to a couple of members of this years team and one kid referred to Pelltier as "Accoin 2.0" as well. Both great players for sure...Will has such awesome speed and besides being a great scoring threat...is a great playmaker. Actually I was worried about him when he came back...because he never backs down and made some solid hits including the Castleton game.

Accoin was just as equal to the task. But at my age with a fading memory...I can still see Accoin not going through a defensive pair...but jumping their sticks with the puck and putting it in the back net past a dazed goalie. That pair would make my All Star line any day...along with Pier Oliver Coutnier. Three NU greats for sure.

Now it's time for the Red Sox... And just imagine if they won another series...then between the Pats...the Cadets...and the Sox...I'd have hit the trifecta.
                  Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 03-27-2017, 12:25 AM.
                  Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                  Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                    I compared Will Pelltier to Keith Accoin to a couple of members of this years team and one kid referred to Pelltier as "Accoin 2.0" as well. Both great players for sure...Will has such awesome speed and besides being a great scoring threat...is a great playmaker. Actually I was worried about him when he came back...because he never backs down and made some solid hits including the Castleton game.

Accoin was just as equal to the task. But at my age with a fading memory...I can still see Accoin not going through a defensive pair...but jumping their sticks with the puck and putting it in the back net past a dazed goalie. That pair would make my All Star line any day...along with Pier Oliver Coutnier. Three NU greats for sure.

Now it's time for the Red Sox... And just imagine if they won another series...then between the Pats...the Cadets...and the Sox...I'd have hit the trifecta.
                    Aucoin
                    Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      Pricey ?

We went to a NYS High School boys quarter final hockey game and it was $7.00 per ticket. That seems pricey !
                      When you can watch a Utica Comets game cheaper, its pricey. On top of that the Comets were also away both Friday and Saturday which draws some fans since it was just in Albany and Syracuse.

The D1 Regional Finals in Ohio (Denver vs Penn State) was at 3300, and I'd say only about 1/2 - 2/3 of that is accurate. After watching a lot of the Regionals, attendance was dismal. They apparently have the Elmira syndrome where they inflate their attendance numbers.

On top of that, when you only have 1 school averaging above 900 fans, this is what you get. You CAN NOT bring this back to school sites. You might as well start a lottery for tickets now. Had this been at Norwich, and if Plattsburgh, Oswego, or UWSP made the dance....it would have been 7 deep on the rails since Norwich normally only gives you standing room tickets anyways. I'm not worried about me as a fan, but parents and family of the athletes deserve to not "worry" about a ticket. If the DI regionals can play in an empty arena, let DIII. With all due respect. Outside of Utica, Oswego, Plattsburgh, Norwich, Geneseo, and UWSP.....teams are use to playing at home in an empty barn the majority of the season.

The easy fix, like we've said for years, is combine the Men's and Women's DIII Championship. And I'm sorry but $25 for 1 day of DIII hockey....Yes had 1 more of the Big 4 (Utica, Oswego, Plattsburgh) had made it, you probably could have added at least another 1,000 to the attendance and that $25 wouldn't have mattered. But you can not expect your local casual hockey fan to pay $25 to watch DIII teams they really know nothing about. You (the host site) is playing roulette. You're banking on the ultimate tournament where 3 of the big attendance schools make it. I personally don't think Lake Placid cares if they get 1,000 or 4,000 fans which is why its a great venue. I'd love to see Albany, Springfield, or an outside chance of the Xcel Center in Hartford get a shot too. Easier access for the West, more centrally located, bigger city to draw "townies".

But in short, combine the DIII Men's and Women's Final Four, allow re-entry, and lower the price.
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I noticed the bad attendance when watching the DI tournament this weekend. I was particularly surprised that UMass-Lowell and Notre Dame didn't have better attendance, and that arena was probably the most full of all of them outside of North Dakota playing in Fargo.

How'd this year's Frozen Four in Utica compare to last year's? I didn't think attendance looked too bad over the weekend, considering we debate the merits of hosting the championship in a big empty arena every year.
                        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

UWSP vs Geneseo (early game) : 653
                          SNC vs UMB (when they were good tic ): 2282
                          Championship UWSP vs SNC : 2304

I think an early Friday game really puts a damper on things. Some people just cant get out of work in time to get there.
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            The D1 Regional Finals in Ohio (Denver vs Penn State) was at 3300, and I'd say only about 1/2 - 2/3 of that is accurate. After watching a lot of the Regionals, attendance was dismal. They apparently have the Elmira syndrome where they inflate their attendance numbers.
                            Attendance at D1 regionals have been HORRIBLE for years. That's why there's actually been talk the last couple of years of moving the regionals back to on-campus sites.

And talk about pricey. The D1 regionals are WAY overpriced. (Check out what they cost. You'll barf.) Especially, if you are already planning on attending the Frozen Four. Those are two big hits to family budgets.

As for D3 championships, and in some regards D1 women, as we all know, a lot is hit and miss depending on who is in it.

Norwich travels well as always. But two western teams and a Trinity wasn't going to do much for attendance. Not counting Utica (since obviously that would have sold out the place), if a Plattsburgh, Oswego, Elmira, Hamilton made it, attendance would have been much higher as you pointed out.

I prefer the neutral sites, but I understand the arguments against them.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              Attendance at D1 regionals have been HORRIBLE for years. That's why there's actually been talk the last couple of years of moving the regionals back to on-campus sites.

And talk about pricey. The D1 regionals are WAY overpriced. (Check out what they cost. You'll barf.) Especially, if you are already planning on attending the Frozen Four. Those are two big hits to family budgets.

As for D3 championships, and in some regards D1 women, as we all know, a lot is hit and miss depending on who is in it.

Norwich travels well as always. But two western teams and a Trinity wasn't going to do much for attendance. Not counting Utica (since obviously that would have sold out the place), if a Plattsburgh, Oswego, Elmira, Hamilton made it, attendance would have been much higher as you pointed out.

I prefer the neutral sites, but I understand the arguments against them.
                              Just think what the attendance COULD have been at Utica with Plattsburgh, Gustavus Adolphus, St Norbert, Trinity, and Adrian X 2, and Norwich X 2.....

I have always thought the DIII Men and Women SHOULD play the same site, the same weekend.
                              Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                                Just think what the attendance COULD have been at Utica with Plattsburgh, Gustavus Adolphus, St Norbert, Trinity, and Adrian X 2, and Norwich X 2.....

I have always thought the DIII Men and Women SHOULD play the same site, the same weekend.
                                Personally, I prefer the proposal of playing DI and DIII Women at the same site, as long as it's not way out in St. Louis like it was this year. DIII Women had a packed house (in a relatively small rink) for the games involving the host team this year, especially since Adrian had the prime time slot (which was likely Plattsburgh's choice as top seed, and Houle likes the early semi)

While playing DIII M&W at the same site would make it easier for me, by far, I don't like the optics of it if the women are reduced to a side show.
                                Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                                SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                                ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                                NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                                NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                                NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                                NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                                X