2017 National Championship Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 National Championship Thread

I just wanted to bring a little positive note to this. I've heard from a few certain team posters of the quality of the broadcast (and there the lack of). I may be a little biased here, but the work that Ray does off camera to get the stories and stats he does if very few and far between. Take nothing away from George, he is a fine broadcaster, but anyone who wants to put down the work that Ray and (sorry forgot his name) the other guy did this year really made the broadcast alive. Ray knows his hockey, inside and out. Anyone who has watched past broadcasts you wanted to chuck something at the screen it was awful. I thought the replays were decent and the stories were a nice addition. I didn't find it excessive like other did. Maybe I just enjoy learning things about teams I know little about.

My only "complaint" is I wish they could go WTOP and have an intermission show. As homer as WTOP can be (well duh) I got sick of looking at the "commercial break" screen. Even if it was a 20 minute prerecorded video on the two teams playing and how they got there or something if we can't have live TV. NCAA is about the students, why not try and include them?

Is it October yet??
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      I just wanted to bring a little positive note to this. I've heard from a few certain team posters of the quality of the broadcast (and there the lack of). I may be a little biased here, but the work that Ray does off camera to get the stories and stats he does if very few and far between. Take nothing away from George, he is a fine broadcaster, but anyone who wants to put down the work that Ray and (sorry forgot his name) the other guy did this year really made the broadcast alive. Ray knows his hockey, inside and out. Anyone who has watched past broadcasts you wanted to chuck something at the screen it was awful. I thought the replays were decent and the stories were a nice addition. I didn't find it excessive like other did. Maybe I just enjoy learning things about teams I know little about.

My only "complaint" is I wish they could go WTOP and have an intermission show. As homer as WTOP can be (well duh) I got sick of looking at the "commercial break" screen. Even if it was a 20 minute prerecorded video on the two teams playing and how they got there or something if we can't have live TV. NCAA is about the students, why not try and include them?

Is it October yet??
      I'll agree with this. I thought the announcers did a fine job. I was one who complained a little about the stories. I want to make clear that I did enjoy the stories, it does add to a broadcast, I just felt sometimes they carried over into the action. This was more noticeable during the Friday Adrian-Norwich game, and that may have been just because earlier in the game the scoring chances seemed few and far between.

And during the intermission, yes. I got tired of seeing that **** Direct TV commercial with the validated parking.

I still want to hear George's call of the game, though. *beats the drum that has been pounding over in the Norwich thread*
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Is it October yet??
        The last time we had a run of finals at Lake Placid, I worked my friends at ESPN, Turner and the NCAA about having WTOP produce the broadcasts, complete with all the pre-game, in-game and post-game shoulder programming, features on each of the teams, player and coaches interviews, etc...this was at a time when the coverage wasn't nearly as clean as it is now...and it fell on deaf ears...the addition of Ray Biggs this year was what I call Cash Money - he was everything we know and love about that "Honorary Oswego Broadcaster"....NCAA would be smart to steal the idea of having multiple streams like they do for the college football championships - everybody gets the same video, but you can have the "impartial" national feed, the Home team announce team and the away team announce team....very efficient - and for the price of an extra camera, you could have your own announce teams do their own intermission programming.....I am happy to beat that drum starting now and see where it leads....
        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by soccermaniac919 View Post
          Anyone who doesn't attend a Final Four in their own home town, regardless of the reasons, is not a true hockey fan.
          Ummm, I watched most of 12 games over the weekend.

I'll always opt for the D-1 tournament unless Utica makes the D-3 FF. And being a "true hockey fan" is usually about having a dog in the hunt. i just didn't care much about who won this tournament, and the same could be said about other UC fans I know. Not a biggie one way or the other.

But the no re-entry thing does stick in my craw. To say it's a security concern is bogus, since you can come and go a dozen times if you're willing to keep buying tickets. That's a fake issue.

Utica College and the Comets sell a lot of tickets here, but if you were to ask a fan on the street where either Norwich or Trinity were located, you'd get a lot of blank stares. D-3 hockey just isn't a big deal anywhere, unless there's a local team involved.

While I'm at it, nice job by Norwich. Hard to argue with the results. The KRACH had it right!
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-03-2017, 10:30 PM.

Comment

When you can watch a Utica Comets game cheaper, its pricey. On top of that the Comets were also away both Friday and Saturday which draws some fans since it was just in Albany and Syracuse.

The D1 Regional Finals in Ohio (Denver vs Penn State) was at 3300, and I'd say only about 1/2 - 2/3 of that is accurate. After watching a lot of the Regionals, attendance was dismal. They apparently have the Elmira syndrome where they inflate their attendance numbers.

On top of that, when you only have 1 school averaging above 900 fans, this is what you get. You CAN NOT bring this back to school sites. You might as well start a lottery for tickets now. Had this been at Norwich, and if Plattsburgh, Oswego, or UWSP made the dance....it would have been 7 deep on the rails since Norwich normally only gives you standing room tickets anyways. I'm not worried about me as a fan, but parents and family of the athletes deserve to not "worry" about a ticket. If the DI regionals can play in an empty arena, let DIII. With all due respect. Outside of Utica, Oswego, Plattsburgh, Norwich, Geneseo, and UWSP.....teams are use to playing at home in an empty barn the majority of the season.

The easy fix, like we've said for years, is combine the Men's and Women's DIII Championship. And I'm sorry but $25 for 1 day of DIII hockey....Yes had 1 more of the Big 4 (Utica, Oswego, Plattsburgh) had made it, you probably could have added at least another 1,000 to the attendance and that $25 wouldn't have mattered. But you can not expect your local casual hockey fan to pay $25 to watch DIII teams they really know nothing about. You (the host site) is playing roulette. You're banking on the ultimate tournament where 3 of the big attendance schools make it. I personally don't think Lake Placid cares if they get 1,000 or 4,000 fans which is why its a great venue. I'd love to see Albany, Springfield, or an outside chance of the Xcel Center in Hartford get a shot too. Easier access for the West, more centrally located, bigger city to draw "townies".

But in short, combine the DIII Men's and Women's Final Four, allow re-entry, and lower the price.
            Nice post, Champs. (Yes, I said that! )

Siting of Regionals and Finals have long been a controversial topic, and I've b****ed and moaned for years about D-1 teams getting sited on their own ice. I'll readily admit that had Utica gotten in and advanced the FF, they would've had an unfair advantage via playing in The Aud.

I like your idea about a FF in Albany in terms of geography and neutrality, but Albany bids on D-3 Regionals, too. If they could work out a plan there regarding both factors, it would be a good fit (for most of the Eastern teams, anyway).

Placid is a nice venue. It's out of the way for almost everybody, yet (IIRC), the recent attendance for FF's there was twice what Utica had, so fans must consider it a more desirable destination than Utica. (Go figger!)

As far as combining the women's and men's championships in one location..? That would be big fun, but unless it's a Thursday-Sunday event, and re-entry is allowed, I can foresee an OT game or two severely mangling the weekend for a lot of fans. Worth a look, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              Nice post, Champs. (Yes, I said that! )

Siting of Regionals and Finals have long been a controversial topic, and I've b****ed and moaned for years about D-1 teams getting sited on their own ice. I'll readily admit that had Utica gotten in and advanced the FF, they would've had an unfair advantage via playing in The Aud.

I like your idea about a FF in Albany in terms of geography and neutrality, but Albany bids on D-3 Regionals, too. If they could work out a plan there regarding both factors, it would be a good fit (for most of the Eastern teams, anyway).

Placid is a nice venue. It's out of the way for almost everybody, yet (IIRC), the recent attendance for FF's there was twice what Utica had, so fans must consider it a more desirable destination than Utica. (Go figger!)

As far as combining the women's and men's championships in one location..? That would be big fun, but unless it's a Thursday-Sunday event, and re-entry is allowed, I can foresee an OT game or two severely mangling the weekend for a lot of fans. Worth a look, though.
              Hey Fish,
              With all due respect, you go to Lake Placid any weekend except the months of probably April-early May and the place is mobbed. People want to go where the "Miracle" happened. Add the D3 final 4 and most fans feel they are getting a double dose. I grew up in W Carthage, and went to the Utica area up through the 70s for firematic competitions.. I also went to the tourneys in Sara-Placid, and again....the bigger crowds were always in the Adks. It is an extra draw with more to do than the intended event. I really understand the reason for the bigger crowds in Lake Placid.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

...but having said that, I will say that had Utica made the FF they would have EARNED that unfair advantage. I was a little bit surprised at the attentance numbers just for the sheer fact that locals have supported everything hockey for years. From local youth, to the high school tournament, to college, to the professional ranks.

You mean D-I Regionals It's really going to be one or the other, but the Albany regional isn't blowing things out of the water either with regards to attendance. With the "right" teams, the DIII Championship weekend would pass their numbers. I haven't been following DI as much but I remember last year there was a thought of going back to campus sites and eliminating neutral sites for Regionals, not sure where or how far it went.

When you don't get some of the bigger schools to the dance, attendance is going to struggle no matter what. Once you get by the top 5 in attendance, there is a pretty big drop in fans. I don't think Placid is so much "more desirable", as it was/is who is in the dance. Especially now with the video of all the games, the live updates ect ect you don't "need" to go to the game. On top of that, IMO, Lake Placid has/is losing its luster going there so much. It was cool the first couple times.

Money Money Money. You "make" the fans stay so they "have" to buy your food....I don't see re-entry being taken out of the equation.

The schedule is doable. We've done Saturday Sunday Championships before. I know Nate felt like the women would be treated as a second fiddle, but then thinks joining the Womens DI and DIII would be something different (not being treated as second fiddle----yea right). You could do it several ways.

Thursday Womens Semi Finals
                Friday Mens Semi Finals
                Saturday Womens Consi
                Saturday night Womens Finals
                Sunday afternoon Mens Finals

You increase the "Fan Zone" to give fans more things to do. I've seen youth hockey tournaments with more entertainment than the Championships. Can we bring back a "senior" All-Star game or Alumni game of the teams in the tournament? Involve the schools. I know god forbid the NCAA pay for something. In the same breathe, maybe it's time for the schools to pitch in. How many baseball teams are enjoying the sunshine in Florida? Heck I even saw the Oswego swim team in Florida a few years ago. Don't have the $$$ to help (not pay all but something can be figured out) pay? Don't take the bid to the Tournament.
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                  ...but having said that, I will say that had Utica made the FF they would have EARNED that unfair advantage. I was a little bit surprised at the attentance numbers just for the sheer fact that locals have supported everything hockey for years. From local youth, to the high school tournament, to college, to the professional ranks.
                  Hmmm, so maybe the yocals that fill the Aud for Utica College games really are only there for the beer and the misconception that maybe a fight will break out?

No alcohol served at NCAA tournament games, correct?

Either that, or they're all super rabid D3 hockey fans who simply had no idea their home team was hosting this thing ...

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                    Hey Fish,
                    With all due respect, you go to Lake Placid any weekend except the months of probably April-early May and the place is mobbed. People want to go where the "Miracle" happened. Add the D3 final 4 and most fans feel they are getting a double dose. I grew up in W Carthage, and went to the Utica area up through the 70s for firematic competitions.. I also went to the tourneys in Sara-Placid, and again....the bigger crowds were always in the Adks. It is an extra draw with more to do than the intended event. I really understand the reason for the bigger crowds in Lake Placid.
                    Bird, you somehow missed my (obvious) sarcasm.

Without a scintilla of doubt, Placid has it all over Utica as a vacation destination every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. The only advantage Utica might possess is easier access, but that didn't seem to matter this year.

As much as I'd like the event in my backyard, I don't see any compelling reason to site it in Utica over Placid... None at all.

Comment

The words "earned" and "unfair" pretty-much cancel each other out... (You can look 'em up if you like, pumpkin.)

Utica supports its local teams, but nobody in any city outside of our insular world of D-3 hockey fanaticism would have the vaguest idea where or what St. Norbert, Norwich, Adrian or Trinity were. That goes for Utica,too. Thus, the indifference here.

The whole deal worked-out this year, but it was an accidental neutrality. And neutrality of siting is never earned, but always fair. The more I think about it, the more Placid seems to me to be a better option of the two in the East.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-07-2017, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdInRomney View Post

"Re-Entry Policy:

As of September 1, 2016, the Utica Memorial Auditorium will have a No Re-Entry policy for all events.

This policy comes from the direction of the Upper Mohawk Valley Memorial Auditorium Authority Chairman, Carl Annese. “For the safety of our fans, there will be no re-entry at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. The policy is meant to provide a safe environment to enjoy all the events at The AUD,” said Annese."
                        For the record..this policy is also in effect for Utica College's commencement at the Aud tomorrow.
                        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Working...
                        X