X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 Schedules Thread

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    UMD's October Schedule:

Icebreaker (Union, Minnesota-Twin Cities, and Michigan Tech)
    Bemidji State (Home and Home)
    Merrimack
    @Maine
    I assume in that order?

Comment

With Michigan Tech playing in the Icebreaker and going to Alaska twice, I think it's safe to say they will not be playing all of the allotted number of games. Just a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        I assume in that order?
        yes
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          I originally posted a reply in the NU thread in response to the following post about Quinnipiac:

However, after I saw this thread I though it would be better a to post my thoughts here. Quinnipiac is certainly scheduling Hockey East teams like they want to be the 12th member. In the past four seasons they have played 33 of 50 (66%) non-league games vs Hockey East teams (and have gone 17-10-6 in those games) and their announced schedule for next season has them playing 10 of 12 non-league games vs Hockey East teams. That will make it 43 of 62 games (69%), which got me interested in seeing how many Hockey East games the other ECAC teams have scheduled over the same time, and vice versa. I created a spreadsheet that shows how many games each ECAC and Hockey East team has scheduled for the past four seasons, plus known games for next season. In the past four seasons Quinnipiac scheduled 11 more games vs Hockey East teams than any other ECAC team and with 10 scheduled for next season it seems that will increase even more. On the Hockey East side Vermont has scheduled the most games vs ECAC teams, 24, the past four seasons.

Sean
          Quinnipiac does seem to prefer Hockey East opponents. But the likely answer is the convenience and competitiveness of Hockey East as opposed to multiple plane trips to the Midwest or Atlantic Hockey opponents that don't do much for SOS.

Also keep in mind that the Ivies, which represent half the league, can only schedule seven NC games per season as opposed to 12 for the non-Ivies. Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton, Brown and Harvard have all scheduled NC games against each other over the past five years, facts that might skew the numbers in the spreadsheet a bit. Looking at the previous four seasons for Yale, 13 of its 21 NC games (not including seven NC games vs. Ivy/ECAC opponents) were against Hockey East, or 62 percent, more in line with Quinnipiac's 69 percent. I'd guess if Yale was saddled with finding an additional five NC games per season, that 62 percent figure would go even higher, same for the other New England Ivies.

Comment

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
            Quinnipiac does seem to prefer Hockey East opponents. But the likely answer is the convenience and competitiveness of Hockey East as opposed to multiple plane trips to the Midwest or Atlantic Hockey opponents that don't do much for SOS.

Also keep in mind that the Ivies, which represent half the league, can only schedule seven NC games per season as opposed to 12 for the non-Ivies. Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton, Brown and Harvard have all scheduled NC games against each other over the past five years, facts that might skew the numbers in the spreadsheet a bit. Looking at the previous four seasons for Yale, 13 of its 21 NC games (not including seven NC games vs. Ivy/ECAC opponents) were against Hockey East, or 62 percent, more in line with Quinnipiac's 69 percent. I'd guess if Yale was saddled with finding an additional five NC games per season, that 62 percent figure would go even higher, same for the other New England Ivies.
            I looked at all 24 ECAC and Hockey East teams to see how many each one scheduled against the other league. Vermont was closest, with 9 less games, while 3 Hockey East teams had 23 each and 3 ECAC and 2 Hockey East teams had 22 each. So, yes, I know many of the teams are scheduling games with teams from the other league for convenience and competitiveness, but Quinnipiac is still far out ahead of any other team in doing so.

As for the Ivies and their reduced schedule, which they insist on in hockey (but I don't believe they reduce the schedule as much, if at all, for other sports), I see no reason to ignore any non-league games they decide to schedule against other Ivies. Also, I only found 6 such games scheduled by Yale, the most of any Ivy, with Princeton only having 4, and Harvard, Dartmouth and Brown 2 each. Also, 12 of those 16 were played in the two Liberty Invitational and one Capital City Classic tournaments hosted by Princeton from 2013-15. The only other Ivy on Ivy non-league games have been the two Harvard-Yale games at Madison Square Garden, neither which occurred this past season.

Also, those Ivy vs Ivy non-league games had no overall impact on the scheduling of Hockey East teams. In 2013-14 the Ivies played 10 non-league games vs other Ivies and 22 games vs Hockey East teams; in 2014-15 it was 4 vs Ivies and 17 vs Hockey East teams; in 2015-16 it was 2 vs Ivies and 22 vs Hockey East teams; and in 2016-17 it was 0 vs Ivies and 19 vs Hockey East teams. I have update my spreadsheet to show how many games the Ivies have played against each other and Hockey East teams the past four seasons.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

As for the Ivies and their reduced schedule, which they insist on in hockey (but I don't believe they reduce the schedule as much, if at all, for other sports), I see no reason to ignore any non-league games they decide to schedule against other Ivies. Also, I only found 6 such games scheduled by Yale, the most of any Ivy, with Princeton only having 4, and Harvard, Dartmouth and Brown 2 each. Also, 12 of those 16 were played in the two Liberty Invitational and one Capital City Classic tournaments hosted by Princeton from 2013-15. The only other Ivy on Ivy non-league games have been the two Harvard-Yale games at Madison Square Garden, neither which occurred this past season.

Also, those Ivy vs Ivy non-league games had no overall impact on the scheduling of Hockey East teams. In 2013-14 the Ivies played 10 non-league games vs other Ivies and 22 games vs Hockey East teams; in 2014-15 it was 4 vs Ivies and 17 vs Hockey East teams; in 2015-16 it was 2 vs Ivies and 22 vs Hockey East teams; and in 2016-17 it was 0 vs Ivies and 19 vs Hockey East teams. I have update my spreadsheet to show how many games the Ivies have played against each other and Hockey East teams the past four seasons.

Sean
              Just nitpicking here, but Yale's seventh ECAC as NC was actually vs. Clarkson this year. The Liberty Classic was originally the Ivy shootout, started a few years earlier specifically so the Ivies involved could open the season against fellow Ivies in the same boat (an opponent with zero games played, not 6-8 already under its belt.) When it morphed into the Liberty, Ivies still made sure they played each other in the opening round. So it had some impact on scheduling of Hockey East teams because in those instances there were fewer true NC games to schedule.

No doubt QU leans toward Hockey East, but my point is that, like most of those Ivies, it's merely a scheduling preference. Quinnipiac is on record saying it's not interested in leaving ECAC Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Nope not for at least two more years.
                Tech will be part of the icebreaker at Duluth which I believe opens with Union. They have ASU coming to Houghton for two at some time early in the season.. Also the Aforementioned GLi,.... MSU and someone else.
                GLI 4th team is Bowling Green. ASU will remain independent this year.
                Northern Michigan will be at Omaha, play Wisconsin in Green Bay and have a home & home non-conference series with LSSU.
                Last edited by davyd83; 03-23-2017, 11:49 PM.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
                  Just nitpicking here, but Yale's seventh ECAC as NC was actually vs. Clarkson this year. The Liberty Classic was originally the Ivy shootout, started a few years earlier specifically so the Ivies involved could open the season against fellow Ivies in the same boat (an opponent with zero games played, not 6-8 already under its belt.) When it morphed into the Liberty, Ivies still made sure they played each other in the opening round. So it had some impact on scheduling of Hockey East teams because in those instances there were fewer true NC games to schedule.

No doubt QU leans toward Hockey East, but my point is that, like most of those Ivies, it's merely a scheduling preference. Quinnipiac is on record saying it's not interested in leaving ECAC Hockey.
                  The Ivies are the ones who set their games limit 5 less than the NCAA limit and set a starting date later than the NCAA, so that is on them, nobody else. They also chose to use some of their limited non-league games to play each other, no one forced them to, so I see no reason to not count them as true non-league games.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

On a scheduling note, between what I have read here and heard elsewhere BU's non-league schedule is starting to come into focus.

know games:
                    Cornell at MSG on 25 Nov 2017
                    Beanpot semifinal vs Harvard, 5 Feb 2018
                    Beanpot cons/championship vs BC/NU, 12 Feb 2018
                    at Quinnipiac
                    at Arizona State (likely x2)

That likely leaves only 4 games, which BU will want to have at home to have a 16 game home schedule. If that does happen the annual BU-Harvard game will have to be at Agganis for the second season in a row or be put on hold for a season. Colgate should be coming to BU for a game in return for the game at Colgate this season, but it has been stated earlier in this thread that that will not happen next season. I have also heard the possibility that Penn State may be coming to BU for 2 games, which if true would leave BU with either 1 or 2 home dates.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                      I have heard Bemidji will be at Princeton for two and have home and homes with Duluth and North Dakota. That leaves two games to fill.
                      BSU's rumored non-conference schedule:

Two at Princeton
                      Two at home with Air Force (at Air Force the next year)
                      Home and Home with UMD
                      Home and Home with UND
                      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

On a scheduling note, between what I have read here and heard elsewhere BU's non-league schedule is starting to come into focus.

know games:
                        Cornell at MSG on 25 Nov 2017
                        Beanpot semifinal vs Harvard, 5 Feb 2018
                        Beanpot cons/championship vs BC/NU, 12 Feb 2018
                        at Quinnipiac
                        at Arizona State (likely x2)

If that does happen the annual BU-Harvard game will have to be at Agganis for the second season in a row or be put on hold for a season.

Sean
                        I feel like we usually skip the game between us when we're already meeting in the Beanpot semis - at least, that's seemed like the trend.
                        Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                          I feel like we usually skip the game between us when we're already meeting in the Beanpot semis - at least, that's seemed like the trend.
                          No. They did skip the annual regular season game during the 2008-09 season when the 2 met in the Beanpot semifinals, but that was the only time they didn't play a scheduled regular season game since the 1995-96 season.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Only thing i have on Minnesota is the home non conference series with Clarkson which was notice in this thead, plus 2 at North Dakota.
                            Go Gophers Go.

Comment

Not officially released yet but Motzko has said St. Cloud will host BC...have H/H with Kato and MN...Host Alaska and go to Princeton.
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                GLI 4th team is Bowling Green. ASU will remain independent this year.
                                Northern Michigan will be at Omaha, play Wisconsin in Green Bay and have a home & home non-conference series with LSSU.
                                Think you'll get another series in, perhaps at home? You're allowed two more, but it's more than likely one will remain on the table. Who knows what could get negotiated in Naples...

Comment

Working...
                                X